• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Pamphlet for open carry (nothing fancy)

Warren Drouin

BILL OF RIGHTS – Section 27 Yes, Open Carry is Legal
“The people shall have the right to bear arms DISCLAMER: All firearms laws and interpretations noted
for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the here are provided for your information and research.
State, but the Military shall be kept in strict You are responsible to know and understand the laws
subordination to the civil power[.]” before you carry a firearm. Please refer to the Oregon
Concealed Handgun Licensing statutes or a lawyer if you need more information.
Prerequisites:
1. Citizen of the US or legal resident alien with at least Useful Resources
6 months continuous residency. Oregon Firearm Ordinances
2. 21 or older. http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html
3. Not a convicted felon.
4. Not convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor. Oregon Firearms Federation
5. No outstanding warrants for your arrest or free on http://oregonfirearms.org/
any form of pretrial release.
6. Demonstrates competence with a handgun per ORS Handgun Law
166.291(f). http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Application Form:
Application for License to Carry Concealed Handgun OpenCarry – Oregon Forum
(issued at the county Sheriff's Department) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisp
For complete details please refer to: ay.php?121-Oregon
http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/ID/chl.shtm
Four Rules of Firearm Safety Oregon Concealed Carry Forum
(1) All guns are always loaded (until you http://www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/
establish whether or not).
(2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are Oregon Constitution – Article 1
not willing to destroy. Keep your gun http://www.leg.state.or.us/orcons/orcons.html
pointed in a safe direction at all times: on the
range, at home, loading, or loading. Remember, police officers are people too and
(3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your many don't know or understand your right to open
sights are on the target (and you are ready to carry in this state. Be educated yourself and if
shoot). you are ever speaking with one of them please do
(4) Be sure of your target. Know what is, what not argue with or resist the police but rather take
is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never the opportunity to be a good ambassador and
shoot at anything that you haven’t positively politely educate them; maybe even share one of
identified. these pamphlets with them.
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their
preemption statute only covers concealed handgun Open Car Carry
license holders from city or county passed bans against
loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, An Oregon Appeals Court decision has found that
only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon your car is now considered a "public place." The
City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded ruling means that possessing a loaded firearm in a
firearms bans encompassing all public places, and vehicle may be considered a crime if the locality
other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all in which you are traveling has a ban on open
"public buildings" are also off limits throughout the loaded carry.
entire state unless you have a concealed handgun
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Places and building's 166.170 State preemption.
where it's illegal 1) Except as expressly authorized by state statues,
to carry firearms for the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever
non-license carry the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession
in Oregon storage, transportation or use of firearms or any
1. Gun Free School Zone act (fed level) element relating to firearms and components
within a distance of 1,000 feet thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely
from the grounds of a public, in the Legislative Assembly
parochial or private school.
K12 and under. (2) Except as expressly authorized by state statutes,
no county, city, or other municipal corporation or
2. "Capitol building" district may enact civil or criminal ordinances,
means the Capitol, the State Office Building, including but not limited to zoning ordinances,
the State Library Building, to regulate, restrict, or prohibit the sales, acquisition,
the Labor and Industries Building, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation
the State Transportation Building, or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms
the Agriculture Building or and components thereof, including ammunition.
the Public Service Building and Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are
includes any new buildings which may void [1995 s.s. c.1 § 1]
be constructed on the same grounds as an
addition to the group of buildings listed in County and City have the authority to
this subsection. regulate the possession of LOADED
(166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380.) FIREARM in public places. Yet, if you
are license under (CHL) ORS 166.291
3. "Court facility" and 166.292 you are exempt. (Please
means a courthouse or that portion of any other read ORS 166 for this is not legal advice)
building occupied by a circuit court,
the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or
the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel Off-limits to licensed and non-licensed
related to the operations of those courts, or in carry:
which activities related to the operations of those (1) Courthouses and federal buildings, as per ors
courts take place. 166.370 and title 18 § 930
(166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380.)
(2) Airports beyond Security Checkpoints
4. “Public building”
means a hospital, a capitol building, a public (3) Post Office
or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315,
a college or university, a city hall or the residence
of any state official elected by the state at large, You don't need a license to
and the grounds adjacent to each such building. OPEN CARRY
The term also includes that portion of any other (it is a RIGHT)
building occupied by an agency of the state or a
municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405,
other than a court facility. Please keep yourself well informed
(166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380.) of all laws to keep yourself in the law.

(please read ORS 166 and Title 18
U.S.C. §921(25) for this is not legal
advice)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
You state that it is illegal to carry a firearm without a license, "within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. K12 and under." To me K12 and under would include preschools, but you can carry within 1000 feet of a preschool under the federal law.

You define "Capitol building", but the only place it is used is in the definition of "Public building". This seems unnecessary, but assuming it isn't, it would make more sense to me to define "Capitol building" immediately after the definition of "Public building", not before it.

There are also numerous typos, "DISCLAMER", "acquistion", "subsectoin", "lisence", and "imformed".

I'm curious as to why you aren't using the standard Oregon pamphlet. Is there information not on there that you think is important to have?

Warren Drouin

@bigtoe
Thanks for the info on the GFSZ, I will fix that immediately.

I was just copy and past most the information off on ORS166 and I thought just leaving it as it is. Yet I could include it into the "public building" list, I see what I can do.

The reason I have not use it is because I thought it might need some touch of more info for the individual in broad terms, yet I did took some info off the original pamphlet and paste it into my non fancy pamphlet. Also there was no GFSZ info on the original pamphlet for the individual that was part of it. Yet I thought I did ok, but look like I need to improve some more.

thanks for head ups.

VW_Factor

Given past threads, are you sure that you aren't just wasting your time?

Handing that out to people, you are going to get a lot of tl;dr reactions.

We-the-People

We're all free to do whatever we prefer (hey it IS America) but that said, a lot of time and effort by MANY people went into the OC pamphlet that's stickied so that the most important and pertinent information could be squeezed onto a single sheet of paper and made into a trifold.

Maybe offering suggestions as to how the trifold might be improved would be a better way to go?

I also carry (when in injun country) a document that I did up containing all of the applicable Oregon laws (applicable to me with CHL). Took only 5 sheets one sided without making it microscope font.

That copy of the laws and two audio recorders are my bare minimum when carrying anywhere outside my comfort zone (i.e. up in injun country...which has nothing to do with Native Americans by the way).