• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield, MO Gun show: anyone going?

Verd

Campaign Veteran
The gun show is for the 13th and 14th, i'm going to head up there today with my wife and am wondering if any other OCers are going to go (and I am wondering if there are any rules about OCing into the gun show).

Marc

I wish i could go but thats too far for me to travel. I do have a cousin that will be working that gun show but she dont know if OC is ok. Anyways have fun and good luck on maybe finding a sweet deal on something.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Found out that you can OC and CC, but you have to turn them over when you walk in and let their guys run a zip tie through the gun once or twice to make sure that it cannot be fired.

And it was fun. Picked up a NiB Ruger P95 that I have been eyeing for the past few weeks for a steal.

HYRYSC

Yes, it was fun as always. Some folks there selling their guns for more than they would be worth if they were made out of solid gold, but as long as you kept your eyes open and your bull-$h!T meter on, you could find some good deals.

I walked out with a couple of stripped AR lowers and parts as well as the parts that let me go home and put this together.

Attachments

• 2011-08-14 19.17.01.jpg
    2011-08-14 19.17.01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 130

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Do you know why I had this issue? After I bought my Ruger, I carried the case around as I was not done yet checking everything out, and yet I have upwards of 20 people ask me "What gun is that? Is it for sale?" all in one breath. I mean, they wanted to know if my gun was for sale before I had a chance to tell them what type. What the hell was that all about? Was it guys looking to buy from a "private collector" or whatnot? Because You could offer me 10 grand and I would not sell to someone unless there was a background check going on and everything.

HYRYSC

I don't know if that was your first gun show or not, but its a really common thing. Many people bring stuff to the gun show to sell (I now that I did). When folks see other folks carrying something, they think that its for sale and that they might get a good deal. There is nothing illegal about it.

If you don't feel comfortable selling to someone without them going through a background check, well, that is your choice. To me (and the current law) its a piece of my property that I can dispose of as I see fit.

With that said, a little common sense never hurt anyone and if someone is looking to buy it fast and seem unconcerned with my asking price (which always starts out too high so I have some room to move) then it throws up red flags and I move on.

But with that said, if someone offered me $10,000 for a P95, I would offer to drive it to their house for them and personally place in their safe.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Ahh cool. Yeah, it was my first gun show and I had a few friends who warned me about people trying to buy guns who could not pass a background check. Guess I was a bit too aware lol. Thanks!