• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

RogueWarrior

The Misses And I will be going to Denver next week to see some friends :banana: . I was wondering if I can Conceal carry in the car or do I need to have it in the open.

Thanks In advance

:):):)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Really, a CO thread where M-Taliesin hasn't written a four page response?!?....lol

According to handgunlaw.us you can open carry in a car without a permit and can CC with a permit.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Don't Know if I manage 4 pages....

Howdy Amigo!
First, let me welcome you to Colorado.
Second, most of us stay clear of Denver city and county.
Due to the Meiers decision, Denver got exempted from Colorado statewide preemption language.
Otherwise, Colorado would be a totally open carry state.
But Denver is in its own little universe.
In a galaxy far, far away,
where the evil empire....
wait, that's a different story!

You might want to review this particular page, as it has some good information:
http://www.opencarry.org/co.html

You'll see that open carry is permissible but the firearm must be clearly visible.

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.
(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed: (I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.
--------------------------------
18-12-105.6. Limitation On Local Ordinances Regarding Firearms In Private Vehicles.
(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
(a) A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other Private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of such Person's or another's person or property, as permitted in sections 18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c), may tend to travel within a county, city and county, or municipal jurisdiction or in or through different County, city and county, and municipal jurisdictions, en route to the Person's destination; (b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions with regard to the Circumstances under which weapons may be carried in automobiles and Other private means of conveyance; (c) This inconsistency creates a confusing patchwork of laws that Unfairly subjects a person who lawfully travels with a weapon in or through One jurisdiction to criminal penalties because he or she travels within a jurisdiction or into or through another jurisdiction; (d) This inconsistency places citizens in the position of not knowing When they may be violating local laws while traveling within a jurisdiction or in, through, or between different jurisdictions, and Therefore being unable to avoid committing a crime.
(2) (a)Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this Section, the general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in Private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for hunting or For lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while Traveling into, or through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and County jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in A jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, County, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any Ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with A weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance FOR HUNTING OR for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or Property while traveling into, or through, or within, a municipal, county, Or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person Stops in a jurisdiction.
www.handgunlaw.us

While this may produce a migraine headache trying to fathom, it is clear that anyone who may legally possess a handgun may carry that handgun in a motor vehicle providing it is openly displayed. I believe from my understanding that any concealment of a firearm in a motor vehicle requires that the person with the firearm hold a concealed carry permit.

Now, in closing (ain't sure we've arrived at page 4 yet) I hope you'll accept an invitation to meet up. I'd be delighted to meet you, and show you some interesting places around town. I currently have Tuesdays (during the day) off, and Saturdays. Otherwise I work a peculiar shift from 11am to 7pm.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

PikesPeakMtnMan

M-T has it ALMOST correct....carriage in a motor vehicle is allowed however the carrier prefers....motor vehicles (or other "private means of conveyance") are considered extensions of one's home and concealed carry is lawful, whether or not the carrier is in possession of a concealed permit or not.

mahkagari

Speaking of kids, you can know keep goats in Denver!

I believe you always could, they just made the permitting process easier. I cannot describe how much my dander is up that I moved out of the city to a rural town and I was more likely to be able to have chickens on my apartment balcony in Denver!

I want this guy's setup so bad. CME notwithstanding, pretty please.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/doomsday-preppers-6202/Videos#tab-Videos/10606_00

Gunslinger

M-T has it ALMOST correct....carriage in a motor vehicle is allowed however the carrier prefers....motor vehicles (or other "private means of conveyance") are considered extensions of one's home and concealed carry is lawful, whether or not the carrier is in possession of a concealed permit or not.

Correct. Carry it in a car anyway you choose. CC with a permit is legal in the PDR; OC is not.

JamesB

Correct. Carry it in a car anyway you choose. CC with a permit is legal in the PDR; OC is not.

Yes, Gunslinger is correct. In the car it does not matter how you carry. Loaded, unloaded, chambered, open, concealed, on the belt, in the glove box... If you and it are both in the car it does not matter.

For any further questions on Colorado gun laws, your best reference is: http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs

bogidu

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, so I watched it and I think I understand mostly how it works, however either I missed it or he missed something big. Where does the initial water come from? HE'S IN PHOENIX! There's this little detail of evaporation.

From the local water supply... If "the coronal mass ejection in 2012" he speaks about is sufficiently strong to disrupt local food production, that plastic won't be enough to protect his little project. Further, there's not enough solar energy hitting the relatively small square footage of his pool for him and his family to become self-sustaining. Might support a single human, but not a family of three.

On the other hand, his setup is top-notch with respect to using the duckweed to both purify the water and as a food source for his chickens. It's especially enjoyed by water fowl (like ducks, hence "duck"weed), so he should have a few of those on hand as well. Their waste will also provide the duckweed with additional nutrients. Having a variety of veggies and berries in their garden is wise, as well.

What I find incredible are the obstacles arbitrarily erected by the city! Probably to keep people from raising chickens (more than 10, anyway) or livestock within city limits (smell, unsightliness, etc.), and I can understand some of those concerns. Certain neighborhoods in Vegas were awash in chickens, driving down the home prices considerably.