• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC incident on my own property

DWCook

Activist Member
We had a Overland Park officer call the fire department cause we were burning brush in our barrel to clean up our yard. Well I was just getting back from shooting at the bullet hole and I went in the backyard cause the sirens were going off and I spotted the firetruck going to my house. I run back there thinking it was a medical accident as my dad has cut himself with the chainsaw up in a tree and he refused to drop the chainsaw while he was bleeding. Well the Lenexa officer tells me is its ILLEGAL to open carry anywhere within Johnson County. I tell him that its legal for me to open carry on my own property without any issues. He tells me that I am wrong and he can arrest me for open carrying illegal. So I take my pistol back inside and I called the station to file a complaint. The Lt. who called me told that I was right and the officer was being disrespectful to my parents and specially to my mother. The male officer was the ONLY one being an issue at the scene, the female officer there was notified first of me carrying and even she knew it was legal. The male officer there who was most likely still a rookie. My parents and I both told them that it was legal to open carry on ones property stating the 3-9-I-1. He refused to listen or even say that we were right.

This just feeds me more fuel to my fire about hating Lenexa PD with the most passion one can have. Never had much issues with the other departments.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You should have the Lt. who called you respond in writing. That way you will have an official written statement from the department in case you encounter another ignorant individual.

DWCook

Activist Member
Actually I did contact the Lt. again and asked him to type up a letter of report of the incident with his signature so as I can keep file on the incidents. I told him that I am on edge with Lenexa PD being horrible with their officers, told him the next time I get another officer who doesn't know "UNLAWFUL USE OF WEAPONS" that I will file a complaint with a lawyer against the department itself.

Ruger21

Really seems like regardless of locale the ones sworn to serve and protect and to upholds the laws are Less informed of the laws than everyday citizens. This is a real grainy issued that needs to be addressed nationwide: if your an officer of the law the KNOW THE LAW!!!