• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

!Asking the OC Question at CT police Commission Hearings Across the State!

Good Citizen

I was wondering how many members would be willing to attend local Police Comission Hearings and ask the OC question and post the transcript from the Minutes under this thread!

We can Post dates and times of the hearing's for diffrent dept's on this thread, and the more that show up the merrier, I'd go to every one just to hear what "Management" Has to say, and let them know "What's Up!" The Chief from the towns is Usually there and could be asked to respond, on the record!

It's free fun on the record and does not cost anything but time, and I'm sure some cool and Pompass Comissioners will be met, & and for the latter, put in their place for the record, and informed on the LAW!

Here's how it Went Down in Berlin Last June 2010 Strait from the record!​

Exert from th Berlin, CT PD Police Comission Minutes listed on the Berlin Town Web Site PAGE 3 of 10 Paragraph #3:::: June 16, 2010 minutes::

"Mr. GOOD CITIZEN stated that he would like to know what type of training Police Officers and Disbatchers had with carrying firearms in the open. Commissioner Peters stated that it was legal to carry a gun openly in public; however, he would not do it. He stated that any average citizen seeing someone carrying a gun in the open that wasn't wearing a badge would be: nervous and that a prudent person wouldn't carry openly unless they were looking for trouble„ "

:banana:
What do you got to say about that opencarry.org U bunch of trouble Makers, SOUND OFF​
:banana:

Good Citizen

Fairfeild PD

Fairfeild, CT

THE POLICE COMMISSION WILL HOLD ITS MONTHLY MEETINGS AT POLICE HEADQUARTERS, 100 REEF ROAD, TRAINING ROOM. AT 4:30 P.M. ON THE SECOND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH.

Meetings are held at 4:30 p.m. at Police Headquarters

From the website

They make rules and regulations consistent with the General Statutes and the Charter for the governance of the Police Department and its personnel, and may prescribe penalties for violations of its rules and regulations;

Good Citizen

Hamden, PD

HAMDEN, CT PD​

The following is a list of dates for meetings for the Hamden Police Commission for the balance o the calendar year 2011. The meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Miller Library Complex Activity Room.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CURRENT MEMBERS (UPDATED 6/30/11)

Judith Kozak
Gerald Migliaro
Raenne Curtis
Michael Iezzi
Reginald A. Higgins

Good Citizen

Trumbell

Trumbell, CT PD​
POLICE COMMISSION
JACK TESTANI, CHAIRMAN
ANNA HENRY, VICE CHAIRMAN
ALFRED LIGGINS, SECRETARY
PHILIP DIGENNARO, COMMISSIONEr

WILLIAM MURPHY, COMMISSIONER
ALBERT ZAMARY, COMMISSIONER
THOMAS H. KIELY
CHIEF OF POLICE
TRUMBULL POLICE DEPARTMENT
POLICE COMMISSION MEETING SCHEDULE

SEPTEMBER 13TH
OCTOBER 11TH
NOVEMBER 8TH
DECEMBER 13TH
ALL POLICE COMMISSION MEETINGS ARE HELD ON THE SECOND TUESDAY
OF THE MONTH AT TRUMBULL TOWN HALL, LONGHILL CONFERENCE
ROOM. CALL TO ORDER IS 7:00PM.

From the website
B. Powers and duties. The Commission shall have general management and control of the Police Department and all apparatus, equipment and premises owned or used by the Town for police purposes, and shall have the powers conferred or imposed by law on Police Commissions.
The Commission shall fix the number of members of the Department and designate one who shall be Chief of Police. The Chief of Police shall be the chief administrative officer of the Department and shall be responsible to the Commission for the efficiency of the Department and the execution of all laws, rules and regulations prescribed by statute or Town ordinance, or by the Commission. The Commission shall make such rules for the government of the Police Department as it may deem necessary consistent with the provisions hereto.

Good Citizen

New Canaan

New Canaan​

Police Commission meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month at 6:00P.M. at police headquarters, 174 South Avenue.

Except for executive sessions, meetings are open to the public. The meetings allow the Commissioners to review monthly departmental reports and address requests from the townspeople. Updates on the state of the Police Department are reviewed, and the Commissioners are informed of the accomplishments of the police officers, letters of appreciation or condemnation, training received and other issues pertinent to the internal order of the Department.

Anyone who would like to address the Police Commission should contact the Chief's Secretary at 203-594-3512.

Good Citizen

Stonington, CT

Stonington, CT​
Bd. of Police Comm.
Thursday, September 8 at 5:00 PM
Police Dept. Community Room, 173 So. Broad St., Pawcatuck

Good Citizen

Simsbury

Simsbury​
Police Commission
4th Tuesday
7:30PM
Police Dept. Training Room

NAME
TERM
Mr. Carl D. Eisenman
Mr. Edward M. Cosgrove
Mr. Michael T. Long, Chair
Mr. Harvey J. Goodfriend
Mr. Brendan M. Walsh, Clerk
Chief Peter Ingvertsen

Mr. Robert S. Hensley, BOS Liaison

4-Year Term - January - 5 Regular Members

Created by Charter in 1992, the Commission has direct responsibility for citizen matters, budgetary concerns, personnel matters, and collective bargaining matters. The Commission serves as the final authority for all personnel and disciplinary matters within the Police Department. The Commission is also charged with the responsibility of investigating all citizen complaints against members of the Police Department.

Good Citizen

North Haven

North Haven​

Police Commission Aug 23rd 2011

No other info provided would have to call and find out when it is?

Good Citizen

Watertown

Watertown​

Title
Police Commission
Start Time 7:00 PM
Occurs
9/14/2011

Good Citizen

New Britain

New Britain​

Members of the Board of Police Commissioners:
Michael W. Wanik , Chair
Edwin B. Mercier, Jr., Vice Chair
Roger F. Coyle

Howard B. Dyson
Marco A. Villa

The Board of Police Commissioners meets at 7:00PM on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 125 Columbus Blvd.

*Please note that meetings are subject to change. Verify meeting dates and locations with the Town Clerk's Office, located on the 1st Floor of City Hall or at (860) 826-3344.

Good Citizen

Bristol

Bristol​

Title
Police Board 6:00
Start Time 6:00 PM
End Time 7:00 PM (1 hour)
Occurs
The third Tuesday of every month from 11/15/2010 to 12/31/2011

???Looks like Aug 16th????

Good Citizen

Newington, Ct

Newington, Ct​

5. Tuesday, September 12, 2011
6. Monday, October 3, 2011
7. Monday, November 7, 2011
8. Monday, December 5, 2011
9. Tuesday, January 9, 2012
10. Monday, February 6, 2012
11. Monday, March 5, 2012
12. Monday, April 2, 2012 (Organizational Meeting)
NOTE: All meetings are at 4:00 p.m. at the Newington Police Station unless otherwise indicated

Good Citizen

Southington

Southington

Title
Board of Police Commissioners
Start Time 6:00 PM
Police Headquarters Community Room, 69 Lazy Lane
Occurs
The second Thursday of every month from 1/13/2011 to 12/8/2011
Extra Details for entire event
This is a regularly scheduled meeting.

9-8-11

Rich B

I am not really opposed to this, but I think it could be a little sketchy and not sure it is going to produce results.

I am of the opinion that if this is going to be done, we should write a formal document asserting the legality, what is to be expected based on the law (essentially the DPS -> State Police memo) and request it is read during the meeting.

It should not be left to the people who don't know the law to state their opinion. That is already what we are fighting against.

This can also have the feel of 'asking permission', which is not the case. No 'permission' is needed.

Good Citizen

I am not really opposed to this, but I think it could be a little sketchy and not sure it is going to produce results.

Any officer Who reads the Minutes Will Be informed.

EX. If Department X has 100 officers & those officers read the police minutes for the month, and information is put on record, information that they may not know or never viewed in the context that will be presented of unconditional legality, including the disproving of the Breech of Peace myth, I think the impact could be measured in that way, directly impacting any front line employee’s that read it and make the decisions to exercise powers of arrest in the field

I don’t know how a bigger impact could be made “NOW” for free, with the potential to reach 1000’s of front line officers, other than a court case or cases that are years off & 10 of thousands of dollars away, this will get buzz in the Department going and will probably piss some people off, some of these are very small meeting’s where the commissions and the police way out number the public, in the back of the police station, they will gang up, and try to bully their opinions.

I am of the opinion that if this is going to be done, we should write a formal document asserting the legality, what is to be expected based on the law (essentially the DPS -> State Police memo) and request it is read during the meeting.

I am in full agreement, a Formal letter could be written referencing State statues, any State Police Memo's, and current BOFE hearing transcript in pertinent part, and put on the record!

It should not be left to the people who don't know the law to state their opinion. That is already what we are fighting against.

I fully agree, I do not plan on asking, but asserting legal documents onto the record, and “combating opinion” that is in control of 1000’s of officers with powers of arrest, across the state.

This can also have the feel of 'asking permission', which is not the case. No 'permission' is needed.[/CENTER]

Just the opposite, There is no permission being asked, just a particular action being taken to correct the record and officially brief ,"Management" on the law, and get it on record so officers of those departments can get the facts (if the minutes are viewed), & not rely solely on supervisors biased thwarted opinions. This record that would be created would leave no wiggling room for the persecution of OC’ers going forward. It would create “evidence” of Departmental awareness that is undeniable, and the recognition of illegal action, based on “no Law” the next time someone is arrested for open carry.

Furthermore it is a “demand” saying I don’t care about your opinion, or what you have to say, to some people with some pretty big ego’s, and that’s normally all that matters is their opinions, you are walking into there house where there in charge of 100’s of officers and multimillion dollar budgets, and have direct control, & probably a strong opinion about the subject (usually all former officers of those departments), and “LAYING DOWN THE LAW LITERALLY”, You are entering the proverbial dragons layer!

If I had the Dough I would retain Attny Doug Hall as the former XO of the firearms unit, to go in and brief, the legality, as one of there own he may be better received. His former colleague Det Mattson is in constant contact with Local dept.’s She is the subject matter “Bais” expert according to Hall’s memo, what I witnessed first hand and she is anti gun to the Max!

I’m willing to attend any town meeting with anyone!​

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I hope you do not mind an outsider stepping in for a quick comment.

Looking at
Mr. GOOD CITIZEN stated that he would like to know what type of training Police Officers and Disbatchers had with carrying firearms in the open.

I would suggest a slight editing so that it reads: "Given that Connecticutt law states <insert appropriate citation(s)> and the published opinion(s) of the <insert name of firearms board and date of the opinion(s) they published> that open carry of handguns by persons <insert list of all hoops necessary and permits/papers needed> is not illegal, I ask what training the members of X Police Department - both sworn officers, dispatchers, and other support staff - are given, both during initial training and during mandatory in-service or informal training such as roll-call briefings, regarding the practice of open carry of handguns by law-abiding citizens. I would like to know what policies control the training as well as the general content of the training, and how to obtain a copy of the specific lesson plans used in each type of training session. If this information cannot be provided at this time, I request that it be made a part of this body's official record as an amendment to the minutes of this meeting at the time it is provided."

Put them on the spot as needing to refute your citations if they disagree that they apply. Put them on the spot about needing to address in-service and roll-call-type training as well as whatever is done at the police academy. Put them on the spot for revealing and documenting the exact training they are providing to the line staff, dispatchers, and all the other employees. Put them on the spot by making it a part of the minutes no matter how long it takes to gather up the materials needed to respond.

Just a thought.

stay safe.

Rich B

Any officer Who reads the Minutes Will Be informed.

But of what? The Chief's opinion on the law? They are hopefully already well informed of this. It does us no good if the Chief is as opposed to freedom as Wallingford's Chief Dortenzio and insists that every OCer be harassed and investigated for crimes.

I don’t know how a bigger impact could be made “NOW” for free, with the potential to reach 1000’s of front line officers, other than a court case or cases that are years off & 10 of thousands of dollars away, this will get buzz in the Department going and will probably piss some people off, some of these are very small meeting’s where the commissions and the police way out number the public, in the back of the police station, they will gang up, and try to bully their opinions.

Again, I am not opposed, but I did provide my opinion on how this should be done if people are going to do it. Court cases will mandate that LEOs follow the law, but education in the meantime is not a bad thing. Again, my concern is that all it is doing is giving the Chief a platform to express his ignorance or arrogance in some cases. We saw the kind of document Chief Dortenzio put out, is that what you want all the Chiefs to be giving to their officers?

I fully agree, I do not plan on asking, but asserting legal documents onto the record, and “combating opinion” that is in control of 1000’s of officers with powers of arrest, across the state.

I think if the document is well constructed and written, then we don't need any other comment. If the chiefs decide to ignore it or state contrary opinions to it, that is fine. That will be on the record for any future legal dealings. Courts will not look kindly upon officers or chiefs who were informed of the laws and chose to ignore them or go against them.

Just the opposite, There is no permission being asked, just a particular action being taken to correct the record and officially brief ,"Management" on the law, and get it on record so officers of those departments can get the facts (if the minutes are viewed), & not rely solely on supervisors biased thwarted opinions. This record that would be created would leave no wiggling room for the persecution of OC’ers going forward. It would create “evidence” of Departmental awareness that is undeniable, and the recognition of illegal action, based on “no Law” the next time someone is arrested for open carry.

Meh, I think you are being overly optimistic here. The Chiefs and the towns already have a duty to train their officers. Most of them know the laws as they are stated, but some don't 'like' OC and will harass an OCer. That is always going to be the case. The only way to prevent that is to make sure they understand the penalties for doing so. And right now, there are none on record. After one of the current cases is set down as case law, that will be the time to really get the word out.

If I had the Dough I would retain Attny Doug Hall as the former XO of the firearms unit, to go in and brief, the legality, as one of there own he may be better received. His former colleague Det Mattson is in constant contact with Local dept.’s She is the subject matter “Bais” expert according to Hall’s memo, what I witnessed first hand and she is anti gun to the Max!

It would be interesting to have a LEO firearms law class in CT, but it would not be easy to get LEOs on board and listening.

KIX

It would be interesting to have a LEO firearms law class in CT, but it would not be easy to get LEOs on board and listening.

It would be interesting. Though I think, like school teachers, they tune out after a certain age and can't "learn" anything or relearn anything.

I know some that would probably think it a good idea, but I know A LOT more that think they know the law (wrong or otherwise) and would want to have nothing of it.

I do like Skidmarks comment though.

I know the Secretary of the BFPE was thinking of addressing the issue at the police chiefs association (I think in a workshop). I'll try to get his feedback after I address the board in the coming weeks. I'm taking data from my suitability study and showing them where there are tons of issues in the local "fiefdoms".

Jonathan

JohnGalt

But of what? The Chief's opinion on the law? They are hopefully already well informed of this. It does us no good if the Chief is as opposed to freedom as Wallingford's Chief Dortenzio and insists that every OCer be harassed and investigated for crimes.

Rich - A police chief stating on the record that open carry is legal and that he/she has informed the troops of this fact builds the case at least for a claim that an officer cannot take advantage of qualified immunity in the event that he is sued for violating the civil rights of an open carrier. That would leave the offending officer open to personal civil suit as opposed to a suit against the municipality only.

Last edited: