• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Android apps for recording to server live

spiderjohn

hey now,

I'm looking for some apps for my motorolla droid to record audio AND upload it somewhere safe where LEO can't delete it. THis is for when I'm OC'ing.

I've tried Qik and it's okay....however if the phone is locked it stops recording and that's not good. Also, you have to start the app, choose the record option, then choose record. I want something with a widget that is quick.

I've messed with Tape-a-Talk. It does have a widget on the pro version. It records to the sd card. It doesn't record it to the interwebs like Qik. I found an app called Dropbox which allows you to save files to a server. This was not automatic however but requires you to tell the app with finger strokes to send it off. Finally, after searching for well over an hour, there's another app called DropSpace which allows you to automatically set up synching with Dropbox. It runs as a service and synches files with Dropbox that you indicate but only does it every hour. It does have a widget that you can hit to do synch immediately. This set up seems like it will work but still give LEO some time to either turn it off or destroy the phone if they were inclined to do so.

Anyone still with me?

What I want is something like Qik but that can be activated with one click of a widget and doesn't turn off if the phone is locked. Or something like Tape-a-Talk but with everything in one app to push recording to a remote server.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

Baked on Grease

It's kinda funny, I was just talking to my wife about this myself, in case an over zealous LEO decided to erase my recording of the encounter once he discovered it. At the moment I use Tape-a-talk on my samsung galaxy tab. Since it comes with a device lock I don't have to worry about someone deleting anything from my device, all they could do is turn it off to stop it from recording more and that's assuming they can tell it's recording in the first place.

I do carry a normal voice recorder also, and have found some devices that will only let you delete files by pluggong it in to a computer, and then you'd still have to input a password to unlock the device. This doesn't prevent one from destroying the device outright but at some point we could become paranoid about it.

I will probably look at dropbox and associated apps. Maybe all you then need is a screen lock for your phone. If the LEO can't tell it's recording the 1 hour wait for it to sync on the interweb won't matter as much.

Sent using tapatalk

spiderjohn

It's kinda funny, I was just talking to my wife about this myself, in case an over zealous LEO decided to erase my recording of the encounter once he discovered it. At the moment I use Tape-a-talk on my samsung galaxy tab. Since it comes with a device lock I don't have to worry about someone deleting anything from my device, all they could do is turn it off to stop it from recording more and that's assuming they can tell it's recording in the first place.

I do carry a normal voice recorder also, and have found some devices that will only let you delete files by pluggong it in to a computer, and then you'd still have to input a password to unlock the device. This doesn't prevent one from destroying the device outright but at some point we could become paranoid about it.

I will probably look at dropbox and associated apps. Maybe all you then need is a screen lock for your phone. If the LEO can't tell it's recording the 1 hour wait for it to sync on the interweb won't matter as much.

Sent using tapatalk

i do have a screenlock. was just trying to be extra vigilant! The nice thing about dropbox is not only does it keep a copy up in the 'cloud', but you can have it synch to any pc.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
My Daughter runs an Android Developers Group

hey now,

I'm looking for some apps for my motorolla droid to record audio AND upload it somewhere safe where LEO can't delete it. THis is for when I'm OC'ing.

I've tried Qik and it's okay....however if the phone is locked it stops recording and that's not good. Also, you have to start the app, choose the record option, then choose record. I want something with a widget that is quick.

I've messed with Tape-a-Talk. It does have a widget on the pro version. It records to the sd card. It doesn't record it to the interwebs like Qik. I found an app called Dropbox which allows you to save files to a server. This was not automatic however but requires you to tell the app with finger strokes to send it off. Finally, after searching for well over an hour, there's another app called DropSpace which allows you to automatically set up synching with Dropbox. It runs as a service and synches files with Dropbox that you indicate but only does it every hour. It does have a widget that you can hit to do synch immediately. This set up seems like it will work but still give LEO some time to either turn it off or destroy the phone if they were inclined to do so.

Anyone still with me?

What I want is something like Qik but that can be activated with one click of a widget and doesn't turn off if the phone is locked. Or something like Tape-a-Talk but with everything in one app to push recording to a remote server.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

I will pass this on to her. I think that they are usually looking for things that need to be developed. She doesn't get paid for this, but her company supports her and provides some support for the group.