• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry on Gamelands- where to comment

chiefjason

The NCWRC is wanting to allow CC on gamelands for permit holders. The rule change, along with all others, is available here. It's H8 under weapons.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/HotTopics/documents/2012-13_Proposals.pdf

Comments can be left on the website here.

https://ncpaws.org/PAWS/WRC/PublicComments/PublicEntry/PublicComments.aspx

The schedule of public hearings to comment in person is here.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/NewsReleases/052311_Wildlife_Commission_Sets_Public_Hearing_Dates.htm

I personally have an issue with raising the legislated privilege of CC over the constitutional right to OC. And I will be raising this concern again at a public meeting. I think it's a step in the right direction. But the constitutional rights of the people should be paramount. But they want the little slip of paper to "allow" something that I'm not even sure they can constitutionally regulate.

Stepping off the soap box, comment as you wish. But make your opinions known.

chiefjason

A bump as a reminder. The public meetings have started and you can still leave comments on the website. I have offered several comments about allowing CC but not the constitutional right to OC. Feel free to let them know we are watching.

chiefjason

Can you OC with a CC permit or does it have to be concealed always in NC? The rule change says you can 'carry' with a permit.

Not completely sure, and may be subject to change when it actually goes in the regulations digest. Like other things, sometimes there is the statute then the interpretation. Which can differ some.

I would prefer that they just allow OC. And I have told them so in emails and in the comment section. I was told that their legal department was looking into OC after I sent them some case law to look at. Can't say I'm holding my breath though. Partly because of the lukewarm reception this post is getting. If no one gets behind this and asks for OC to be included I can assure you it will not change.

NCBobD

I would think NC members of Open Carry Org. would be lighting up the comments on this matter. Sure, maybe you don't spend any time on NC gamelands but others do. What if those folks took that attitude about your ability to legal carry else where? Perhaps the OP needs to start another thread on this topic with a "sexier" title? Something like Open Carry Rights in Jeapordy in NC! Maybe folks would read it then.

chiefjason

Bob, to tell you the truth I'm about tired of beating my head against this. There is always a lot of talk when someone finds out how screwed up the carry laws on gamelands are. Then there is nearly no movement on it when comment time comes along. At least it's getting some traction on CSF. I've brought it up for 3 years running. I am glad to see that it's come this far. It will be a far cry better than what we have now if it passes. I'm just kind of surprised by the lack of response from the folks who feel like they are fighting for their rights. Hopefully folks have sent emails and comments but just did not post here. I may try another email to the NCWRC and see what the status is, and if anything has changed. 239 views and 6 comments. Guess there are not that many of us concerned with this.

topcat, you can carry a .22 anytime you wish on gamelands. YOu can OC or CC with a permit. Personally, I don't consider the .22 much of a defensive round. Good for snakes and small critters, but that's about it. During an open season for hunting game animals you can carry anything you wish, OC or CC. The current exceptions to that are deer archery season, deer muzzleloader season, and turkey season, no carry then. That leaves most of the spring and all summer where you can only carry a .22. That is when I spend most of my time on gamelands, so this bothers me a lot. The new rules would allow permit holders to carry on gamelands at any time, period, unless the property owner requests otherwise.

dmatting

I don't respond to every thread, but I have sent in comments to the WRC through their website. I cannot attend any of the meetings in September, so I hope the weight that they place on the online comment submissions isn't lighter.

chiefjason

I don't respond to every thread, but I have sent in comments to the WRC through their website. I cannot attend any of the meetings in September, so I hope the weight that they place on the online comment submissions isn't lighter.

Thanks. From what I understand they are all put into the public record and go into the process with similar, if not the same, weight. The difference is you may get the chance to discuss things individually with commissioners, or in the public forum at the meetings. You usually get a better understanding of the rule changes too. They go over them one at a time, explain the rational, if the person in charge of that area is present they speak, then the public gets to voice their opinion. It really is a cool process to experience.