• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you OC and drink alcoholic beverage in Nevada?

wrightme

I tried the Search feature, but either I've become an idiot overnight, or its the hardest to use Search feature I've ever seen.

So, like the subject says. For example, there is a bar at the Pro Gun Club (nee Desert Hills) range. While they, of course, can make a rule that you can't (being private property) does State Law allow you to keep your OC sidearm on you while you have a refreshing drink after shooting?
Unless there is a statute that I am unaware of, it is not illegal to consume alcohol while armed, openly or concealed.
MAC702 said:
I am aware that you cannot conceal a firearm while drinking, per CCW rules.
That is not "aware." That is "belief in a non-existent 'rule'". Can you cite the "CCW rules" that make it illegal to conceal a firearm while drinking?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless there is a statute that I am unaware of, it is not illegal to consume alcohol while armed, openly or concealed.
That is not "aware." That is "belief in a non-existent 'rule'". Can you cite the "CCW rules" that make it illegal to conceal a firearm while drinking?

Thanks for sharp-shooting me! It was stated matter-of-factly in my CCW class. I took it as gospel! I promise to stop doing that!

And yes, I agree with many here about the appearance of drinking while openly armed, but also appreciated the analogy of drinking while in possession of other "weapons."

armaborealis

What about over the counter cold medications? Slows your reflexes, makes you drowsy. What if you have or are recovering from flu/cold? You are impaired far more than having a beer.

I carry primarily for self protection and to exercise my right. My primary goal is not to educate the public.

What if I'm sitting in a bar with friends, sidearm on my belt, sipping a club soda? Am I to be concerned with what some refugee from CA sitting at the next table perceives?

As 28Kfps and Dirty Harry says " you got to know your limitations ".

TBG

If you carry for self protection then I'd think open carry is not a great tactical idea when drinking alcohol in a bar. As discussed already, booze slows you down -- even 0.03 BAC is enough to start impairing judgement (ability to rapidly assess a situation and respond properly) and fine motor skills; the effects are measureable even if people don't "feel" drunk.

Moreover, bars tend to be crowded and full of drunk people. Open carrying in such a situation sounds like a serious retention problem. How confident are you in your gear? How much unarmed weapon retention training have you had? Do you have a non-lethal option available (baton, spray, taser, etc) in the event that a drunk starts something that is short of a "shooting offense" (i.e. fear of death or grievous bodily injury)? If you have to shoot, have you had sufficient training to fire from retention (or speed rock, or whatever your training dictates) at extremely close quarters without hitting bystanders?

Based on the reflexes issue and the retention problem set, based on my level of training, if my primary objective was self-defense then I would choose to cover up and not drink.

If your objective is to publicly exercise the right then that is different. In that case "flaunt it" all you want. However, I would argue that if you want to exercise the right then there is a responsibility that goes with that. Whether we like it or not, when we OC we are ambassadors and representatives for the 2A. Context matters. I'm not saying that it would ALWAYS be appropriate to cover up in a place that serves booze; but one an see how there might be certain appearances that do more harm than good. There's a lot of gray area between "discreetly carrying a black sidearm in black holster against black shirt and drinking an obviously non-alcoholic drink quietly in the corner" and "boozing it up boisterously with a Rossi Ranch Hand or Draco AK strapped to your leg."

I personally cover it up in crowded areas full of rambunctious people that would pose a retention or escalation issue. I don't drink when carrying open or concealed unless I'm having a REALLY good steak that deserves a single glass of wine, or a dessert that deserves a single glass of port. I do appreciate that it is legal to do so and think that it should remain legal, having been in states where drinking while carrying is not allowed at all, but still don't think it is a great idea. If I ever have to use my sidearm in self-defense I want to be able to say, "No sir!" when asked if I've been drinking.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Thanks for sharp-shooting me! It was stated matter-of-factly in my CCW class. I took it as gospel! I promise to stop doing that!

And yes, I agree with many here about the appearance of drinking while openly armed, but also appreciated the analogy of drinking while in possession of other "weapons."

Mac, I believe that I speak for the majority, when I say we all have been misdirected by our CCW instructor. No one is taking that to the bank, as we all had to learn, after school.
The important part is , that we are on here learning the truth.

disneyr

Glad having a beer while in possession of a firearm is not illegal in Nevada or more people probably would have died in this incident.

Click here for the story.

I agree that possession of a firearm while drinking may be irresponsible and it may even be unsafe, but drinking doesn't preclude the inalienable right of self defense. Notice in the story above it doesn't even mention the police asking or testing the Reno man reference drinking. I'll bet he didn't stop just for chit chat.