Thread: Lost My Training Certificate

Lost My Training Certificate

Hi All,

Looking for a a little advice - Took my Basic Concealed Carry Training class 3 or 4 yr ago at a a hotel in Manassas. The class was taught by a man and woman - perhaps husband/wife and may have been Piedmont. Thing is, I lost the paper certificate. Is it likely they have records (if indeed I can even get a hold of them) such they can reissue the certificate without my having to take the class again?

Thanks,

MIKE

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I don't know who might have taught it, or whether they'd have records.

But have you considered just taking the on-line course so you have a record that will satisfy the courthouse? I presume you're looking for one so you can get your concealed handgun permit; can't think of another reason for needing it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Since it has been 3 or 4 years since you took the course do you have a permit now? If so, you will not need the certifcate anymore. When you renew in the future, having previously obtained a carry permit satisfies the proof of competancy requirement. I have never had a firearms training certificate. I obtained my first license when Virginia first went shall issue before they added the requirements and I have never been asked to provide proof of competancy any time I have ever renewed. For the same reason I do not need a hunter safety course for a hunting license. I have had one before.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Not sure who the trainers were, but any legitimate business should be able to provide you with a replacement certificate. We often have students call us for replacement certs and its just a matter of checking the roster and verfying that the student was in attendance and completed the class.

Try to find the instructors and get a replacement cert.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Try to find the instructors and get a replacement cert.
    The husband and wife team in that area I know of are Bernie Hostrop.
    Gunsmith for 60 years plus and a Master Training Counselor for the NRA
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

What course was it - an NRA course, or something else? Perhaps if you could tell us what the content was?

Also, what did the "husband and wife team" look like? Do you recall anything else about the course, who taught what, or anything?

Well, after having asked those questions, I'm thinking, if you can't remember those kinds of things, you probably don't remember much about the handgun safety and proficiency stuff that was taught, either, so maybe you should find another course.

Somebody mentioned something about the Weaver Stance. I have a personal bias about that. That's something that was taught to police as a way of improving stability of the "launch platform" while shooting, hence, in theory, improving accuracy. Keep in mind that police were, at that time, considered to be expendable (no one said they did anything because of "officer safety" back then), and the Weaver Stance makes one into the best of all possible targets. I would never recommend that anyone try to engage in any kind of defensive shooting using that stance (or the modified versions thereof) unless there was absolutely no other option.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Are you a veteran or have you completed a hunter safety course. If you can answer yes to either question, then either a copy of your DD214 or a hunter safety certificate is also acceptable in Virginia, unless that has been changed since I last checked.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Here's a thought.... just take another class. If its been 3-4 years since your last one, its probably a good time for a refresher.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not military and the training cert was indeed for eventually applying for concealed carry. My biggest motivation for asking the question was to avoid having to PAY for another class. Those suggesting I ought to take the course again as some sort of refresher insult my "constitution" so to speak. MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Clevispin View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not military and the training cert was indeed for eventually applying for concealed carry. My biggest motivation for asking the question was to avoid having to PAY for another class. Those suggesting I ought to take the course again as some sort of refresher insult my "constitution" so to speak. MIKE
    I don't think mentioning a refresher comes across as an insult. The carry laws in VA have changed substantially over the last 3-4 years. It wouldn't be so much going over old stuff as it would be learning new stuff.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I don't think mentioning a refresher comes across as an insult. The carry laws in VA have changed substantially over the last 3-4 years. It wouldn't be so much going over old stuff as it would be learning new stuff.
    +1

Every class I teach is a refresher, for me!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevispin View Post
    Don't take it that way Clevis. I've been nice and not asked why you're asking about CHP Certificates on an OC Board. No one intended to insult you, and they didn't lose your certificate.
    Everyone was just trying to offer suggestions that may help.

If you're thinking that paying for another class is a waste of your money, why not try to get something extra for paying out for the class again? May I recommend taking a class for a Utah permit, such as offered by Proshooter. The training you receive in that class is also valid for your Virginia permit and you'll add a few new states to the list you can conceal in, for example Alabama & Georgia neither of which recognize a Virginia permit.
    The choice ultimately is your own, I'm just offering an option that no one else has brought up yet. You're free to consider it or think it too is an insult even though that is not my intention. However, I'm sure there are some here wondering why you would take the class 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of applying for the permit but in all that time not have bothered to do so.
    Last edited by scouser; 08-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Sorry. Just grumpy - lack of cash, employment, etc. UTAH is a good idea. Been lurking here since the CCW forum disintegrated. I crossed the Maryland line so often that toting a pistol was a pain in the neck. However, I have a dog now and have been walking him at night and something a little extra (besides the doberman - MINIATURE doberman) would be nice to have. Maybe purchasing an actual holster might be a good idea as well. MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    If you're thinking that paying for another class is a waste of your money, why not try to get something extra for paying out for the class again? May I recommend taking a class for a Utah permit, such as offered by Proshooter. The training you receive in that class is also valid for your Virginia permit and you'll add a few new states to the list you can conceal in, for example Alabama & Georgia neither of which recognize a Virginia permit.
    The choice ultimately is your own, I'm just offering an option that no one else has brought up yet. You're free to consider it or think it too is an insult even though that is not my intention. However, I'm sure there are some here wondering why you would take the class 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of applying for the permit but in all that time not have bothered to do so.
    Thanks for suggestiong our class, Scouser!

To the OP - The Utah class has a ton of info and I think you'd enjoy it and learn a bunch. A number of folks from here have taken it and I think they've enjoyed it.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Jim .. I recommended your's because I've taken your class myself and know it was interesting as well as informative. I know other people offer the class too, but I'm too lazy to search through posts to be able to list them all, so apologies to everyone else who didn't get a recommendation, it's nothing personal. I'm thinking I'll be attending one of your CC in VA classes next month.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Jim .. I recommended your's because I've taken your class myself and know it was interesting as well as informative. I know other people offer the class too, but I'm too lazy to search through posts to be able to list them all, so apologies to everyone else who didn't get a recommendation, it's nothing personal. I'm thinking I'll be attending one of your CC in VA classes next month.
    Excellent, thank you!

We also have a new live fire course too!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer