• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost My Training Certificate

Clevispin

Hi All,

Looking for a a little advice - Took my Basic Concealed Carry Training class 3 or 4 yr ago at a a hotel in Manassas. The class was taught by a man and woman - perhaps husband/wife and may have been Piedmont. Thing is, I lost the paper certificate. Is it likely they have records (if indeed I can even get a hold of them) such they can reissue the certificate without my having to take the class again?

Thanks,

MIKE

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I don't know who might have taught it, or whether they'd have records.

But have you considered just taking the on-line course so you have a record that will satisfy the courthouse? I presume you're looking for one so you can get your concealed handgun permit; can't think of another reason for needing it.

mobeewan

Since it has been 3 or 4 years since you took the course do you have a permit now? If so, you will not need the certifcate anymore. When you renew in the future, having previously obtained a carry permit satisfies the proof of competancy requirement. I have never had a firearms training certificate. I obtained my first license when Virginia first went shall issue before they added the requirements and I have never been asked to provide proof of competancy any time I have ever renewed. For the same reason I do not need a hunter safety course for a hunting license. I have had one before.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Not sure who the trainers were, but any legitimate business should be able to provide you with a replacement certificate. We often have students call us for replacement certs and its just a matter of checking the roster and verfying that the student was in attendance and completed the class.

Try to find the instructors and get a replacement cert.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What course was it - an NRA course, or something else? Perhaps if you could tell us what the content was?

Also, what did the "husband and wife team" look like? Do you recall anything else about the course, who taught what, or anything?

Well, after having asked those questions, I'm thinking, if you can't remember those kinds of things, you probably don't remember much about the handgun safety and proficiency stuff that was taught, either, so maybe you should find another course.

Somebody mentioned something about the Weaver Stance. I have a personal bias about that. That's something that was taught to police as a way of improving stability of the "launch platform" while shooting, hence, in theory, improving accuracy. Keep in mind that police were, at that time, considered to be expendable (no one said they did anything because of "officer safety" back then), and the Weaver Stance makes one into the best of all possible targets. I would never recommend that anyone try to engage in any kind of defensive shooting using that stance (or the modified versions thereof) unless there was absolutely no other option.

celticredneck

Are you a veteran or have you completed a hunter safety course. If you can answer yes to either question, then either a copy of your DD214 or a hunter safety certificate is also acceptable in Virginia, unless that has been changed since I last checked.

Blk97F150

Here's a thought.... just take another class. If its been 3-4 years since your last one, its probably a good time for a refresher.

Clevispin

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not military and the training cert was indeed for eventually applying for concealed carry. My biggest motivation for asking the question was to avoid having to PAY for another class. Those suggesting I ought to take the course again as some sort of refresher insult my "constitution" so to speak. MIKE

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not military and the training cert was indeed for eventually applying for concealed carry. My biggest motivation for asking the question was to avoid having to PAY for another class. Those suggesting I ought to take the course again as some sort of refresher insult my "constitution" so to speak. MIKE

I don't think mentioning a refresher comes across as an insult. The carry laws in VA have changed substantially over the last 3-4 years. It wouldn't be so much going over old stuff as it would be learning new stuff.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Don't take it that way Clevis. I've been nice and not asked why you're asking about CHP Certificates on an OC Board. No one intended to insult you, and they didn't lose your certificate.
Everyone was just trying to offer suggestions that may help.

scouser

If you're thinking that paying for another class is a waste of your money, why not try to get something extra for paying out for the class again? May I recommend taking a class for a Utah permit, such as offered by Proshooter. The training you receive in that class is also valid for your Virginia permit and you'll add a few new states to the list you can conceal in, for example Alabama & Georgia neither of which recognize a Virginia permit.
The choice ultimately is your own, I'm just offering an option that no one else has brought up yet. You're free to consider it or think it too is an insult even though that is not my intention. However, I'm sure there are some here wondering why you would take the class 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of applying for the permit but in all that time not have bothered to do so.

Last edited:

Clevispin

Sorry. Just grumpy - lack of cash, employment, etc. UTAH is a good idea. Been lurking here since the CCW forum disintegrated. I crossed the Maryland line so often that toting a pistol was a pain in the neck. However, I have a dog now and have been walking him at night and something a little extra (besides the doberman - MINIATURE doberman) would be nice to have. Maybe purchasing an actual holster might be a good idea as well. MIKE

ProShooter

If you're thinking that paying for another class is a waste of your money, why not try to get something extra for paying out for the class again? May I recommend taking a class for a Utah permit, such as offered by Proshooter. The training you receive in that class is also valid for your Virginia permit and you'll add a few new states to the list you can conceal in, for example Alabama & Georgia neither of which recognize a Virginia permit.
The choice ultimately is your own, I'm just offering an option that no one else has brought up yet. You're free to consider it or think it too is an insult even though that is not my intention. However, I'm sure there are some here wondering why you would take the class 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of applying for the permit but in all that time not have bothered to do so.

Thanks for suggestiong our class, Scouser!

To the OP - The Utah class has a ton of info and I think you'd enjoy it and learn a bunch. A number of folks from here have taken it and I think they've enjoyed it.

scouser

Jim .. I recommended your's because I've taken your class myself and know it was interesting as well as informative. I know other people offer the class too, but I'm too lazy to search through posts to be able to list them all, so apologies to everyone else who didn't get a recommendation, it's nothing personal. I'm thinking I'll be attending one of your CC in VA classes next month.

ProShooter

Jim .. I recommended your's because I've taken your class myself and know it was interesting as well as informative. I know other people offer the class too, but I'm too lazy to search through posts to be able to list them all, so apologies to everyone else who didn't get a recommendation, it's nothing personal. I'm thinking I'll be attending one of your CC in VA classes next month.

Excellent, thank you!

We also have a new live fire course too!