• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

well need help writing a letter to emagin in canton

rvd4now

email to them what do you think before i press send

operations@emagine-entertainment.com <operations@emagine-entertainment.com>

To:Chris Brandt

Hello, my name is Demetrius K*** I have been a long time customer of Emagine-entertainment

On 8/14/11 I was a paying customer who was stopped at the concesssion stand by Scott Largent. Scott explained himself to me as the manager on duty. Scott informed me that it was agginst the law to carry a pistol in an entertainment facilty seating over 2500 or more. I explained to him that it was against the law to carry a concealed pistol, but not to carry one openly. I also explained that a person may not know that emagine theaters are considered an entertainment facility because is does not have a sign stating that it seats 2500 people. I also explained to him where he could find the michigan law that would require him to put up one inch lettering at every enterance (Mcl 28.425 section 1 letter f). I also explained to him that in michigan a person may opencarry in a restrited area if they have a concealed pistol licence (Mcl 750.234d section 2 letter c). I was asked to leave because I was on private property and I complied but I would like more clarification on emagine entertainment's policy and procedures on firearms.

Does Emagine entertainment comply with michigan state law, or does emagine entertainment have a policey that can be viewed and supplied to the public so that this inconvenience does not happen to another paying customer.

At this time I would like to thank you and emagine entertainment for the time and effort put into helping clearing up this misunderstanding, I can be reached at:

Demetrius K***

rvd4****@yahoo.com

313-595-****

Once again I look forward to speaking with you to get this issue resolved

stainless1911

Banned

Hello, my name is Demetrius K*** I have been a long time customer of Emagine-entertainment

On 8/14/11 I was a paying customer who was stopped at the concession stand by Scott Largent. Scott explained himself to me as the manager on duty. Scott informed me that it was against the law to carry a pistol in an entertainment facility seating over 2500 or more. I explained to him that it was against the law to carry a concealed pistol, but not to carry one openly. I also explained that a person may not know that emagine theaters are considered an entertainment facility because is does not have a sign stating that it seats 2500 people. I also explained to him where he could find the Michigan law that would require him to put up one inch lettering at every entrance (Mcl 28.425 section 1 letter f). I also explained to him that in Michigan a person may open carry in a restricted area if they have a concealed pistol license (Mcl 750.234d section 2 letter c). I was asked to leave because I was on private property and I complied but I would like more clarification on emagine entertainment's policy and procedures on firearms.

Does Emagine entertainment comply with Michigan state law, or does emagine entertainment have a policy that can be viewed and supplied to the public so that this inconvenience does not happen to another paying customer.

At this time I would like to thank you and emagine entertainment for the time and effort put into helping clearing up this misunderstanding, I can be reached at:

Demetrius K***

rvd4****@yahoo.com

313-595-****

Spell checked it for you.

B

Bikenut

Aside from some spelling errors and a few changes to make it "flow" the letter looks good. I took the liberty to suggest corrections in blue.... or by just eliminating some bits...

If you don't approve that's OK....
:D

If you do approve you can cut and paste to wordpad and all the blue will come out as black lettering suitable to cut and paste to email.

Hello, my name is Demetrius K*** I have been a loyal customer of Emagine-entertainment since ---->insert a date here<----.

On 8/14/11 I purchased my ticket but was stopped at the concession stand by Mr. Scott Largent. Mr. Largent introduced himself as the manager on duty. Mr. Largent informed me that it was against the law to carry a pistol in an entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2500 or more. I explained to him that the law in reference to a seating capacity of 2500 or more applied only to carrying a concealed pistol with a concealed pistol license, but not to carrying a pistol openly if a person has a concealed pistol license. I also explained that a person may not know that Emagine theaters are considered an entertainment facility because there are no signs meeting legal requirements on the entrances stating that it seats 2500 people. I also explained to Mr. Largent where he could find the pertinent Michigan law referencing the signs stating the seating capacity with one inch lettering at every entrance (Mcl 28.425 section 1 letter f). I also explained to him that in Michigan a person may open carry a pistol in a restricted area if they have a concealed pistol license (Mcl 750.234d section 2 letter c). Mr. Largent still asked me to leave because I was on private property. I complied with his request but I would like more clarification on Emagine entertainment's policy in regards to firearms.

Does Emagine entertainment have a policy in compliance with State law that can be readily and easily viewed by the public so that this inconvenience does not happen to another patron to your theater.

At this time I would like to thank you and Emagine entertainment for your assistance in clearing up this matter.

I can be reached at:

Demetrius K***

rvd4****@yahoo.com

313-595-****

You could add something about criminals not obeying the law so why would they obey signs or a theater's policy as Stainless suggested.... but please consider that at this first writing it might be best to not put too much into one basket.

Use the letter I edited as of the time/date of my last edit: Like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

stainless1911

Banned

On 8/14/11 I was a paying customer who was stopped at the concession stand by Scott Largent. Scott explained himself to me as the manager on duty. Scott informed me that it was agginst the law to carry a pistol in an entertainment facility seating over 2500 or more. I explained to him that it was against the law to carry a concealed pistol, but not to carry one openly. I also explained that a person may not know that emagine theaters are considered an entertainment facility because is does not have a sign stating that it seats 2500 people. I also explained to him where he could find the Michigan law that would require him to put up one inch lettering at every entrance (MCL 28.425o section 1 letter f). I also explained to him that in Michigan a person may open carry in a restricted area if they have a concealed pistol license. (MCL750.234d section 2 letter c). I was asked to leave because I was on private property and I complied but I would like more clarification on emagine entertainment's policy and procedures on firearms.

If you take a minute to think about it, criminals are criminals because they dont follow laws. They aren't going to turn around and leave because they see a "No Guns" sign posted either, and the police aren't going to be there to stop them from causing harm to people. This is exactly why I carry a gun. Criminals do not carry openly as I do, it goes against the psychology of being a criminal. Criminals also do not take the time to speak with managers, write letters, send emails, and research laws when they run into problems like this.

It is a common myth that open carry will scare away customers. It has been my personal experience that this is simply not true. People don't run away in fear, most people are oblivious to it, or choose to remain neutral. Many people in fact support it. Starbucks actually saw a gain in revenue after agreeing to simply abide by state and federal laws that support the safety of thier customers and staff by not allowing only the criminal element to remain armed.

Does Emagine entertainment comply with Michigan state law, or does emagine entertainment have a policy that can be viewed and supplied to the public so that this inconvenience does not happen to another paying customer.

Demetrius K***

rvd4****@yahoo.com

313-595-****

I added a couple points, you can use them if you want to.

Michigan should always be capitalized, and when you write MCL, use all caps.

The cite you used is MCL 28.425o, don't forget the letter "o", it makes a difference.

Last edited:

rvd4now

I like what you have added, i will fire off an email to them in the am..

WOW U GUYS ARE GREAT I WILL GO AN EDIT MY EMAIL... I HOPE SOMETHING COMES FROM THIS..

Last edited:

Get2DahChopper

i keep replaying this in my head, and thinking what i could of done to better the issue.. over all only thing i think i should of did diff was not tell him how to ban me. i would like to upload the audio as well , he says his company follows the state law. at that point should i had left because he was misinformed? he was allowing me to take my seat while he called the police, i told him i would just leave over bring the police in to the situation..

One thing is certain - they were clearly not afraid of you. I love places that say you are scaring them then proceed to have every employee in the building misquote the law to you. You sir are clearly a terrifying individual (sarcasm off now). You did well for your 1st encounter with numb-nut movie management. This is why I got to the drive-in:eek:

cmdr_iceman71

That was genius Stainless1911 to mention Starbucks and their increase in sales after they accepted OC’ers. Why? Because at the end of the day that’s all Emagine really cares about is increasing revenue - they are a business. You sagely appealed to their business sense and took things outside of the political realm.

rvd4now

got the reply but still no answers

i got the reply but he does not seem to know the law,

Demetrius, as a fellow CPL holder, I am all about our right to own and carry firearms so truly I understand your concerns and passion concerning this topic. However, Emagine Canton is a Pistol Free Area as defined by the State of Michigan (see below) and that is not up for debate. Emagine Canton has over 3800 seats and is clearly a place where guns are not allowed. In addition, there are no laws that specifically state that we have to post a sign of this fact (some burden is on the gun owner to know this information before entering). Please refer to several excepts I found from the Michigan Coalition For Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) web site below (key points highlighted in red). One of the questions answered on MCRGO’s web site even specifically addresses an 18 screen theater and the answer confirms what we already know – guns are not allowed. Lastly, although there are no laws prohibiting “open carry” on the books, most people in our society (even if they are fundamentally wrong in their beliefs) get extremely uneasy at the sight of a gun (even when holstered). So even if we weren’t a Pistol Free Zone, we’d still prohibit them as we are in the business of entertaining folks, not making them scared or nervous.

We have informed you (politely) that we do not want you to bring your gun into our complex and any future attempts by you to do so will unfortunately result in a call to local law enforcement to have a “No Trespass” notice issued to you (and I’d truly hate to see that happen). We do appreciate your business but you’ll have to visit us without your gun. Thank you.

Chris Brandt

Sr. V.P. of Operations

Emagine Entertainment/Cinema Hollywood

stainless1911

Banned
Correct. Perhaps you should direct him to the MSP legal update that explains that open carry with a CPL in these areas is legal.

Also, you should correct his assumption that most people are uneasy at the sight of an OCer. They absolutely, are not. Most people are neutral.

Last edited: