• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should The Police Be The Only Ones Armed In Public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OC for ME

The Chronicle, Oakland Trib, LAT would not run this article?

How many folks are gunna read this? Now, if this were up on Drudge....:shocker:

As to the question at hand....it all depends on who you ask. I'm on the side of a well armed and polite society. Most folks in California, probably not, if they even think about it. You should have Tweeted/Facebutted/text'd maybe a wider reading audience.

Last edited:

eye95

Do you ever do anything here beside link your articles?

If you routinely participated in the discussions here, I might give a fig about what you have to say in your articles. As it is, I don't.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

If you routinely participated in the discussions here, I might give a fig about what you have to say in your articles. As it is, I don't.

Yes, he links radio appearances too...

Black Dragon

Actually, the work I do to advance 2A on the PR front was largely initiated by the co-founders of OCDO. That's why I post my articles here. In fact, it was Mike Stollenwerk who recommended me to the Examiner. Most of the time I spend every day is focused on research to educate Californians about recent developments on 2A not only in the Golden State but also, all across the entire country. Given that this task is relatively time consuming, I don't have much time to weigh in on these forums. However, make no mistake about it, I am tied to OCDO in a myriad of ways. The California Open Carry petition is a joint effort between Responsible Citizens of California and Opencarry.org and this fact holds true both for AB 1934 last year and AB 144 this year.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CalOCPet/petition.html

What I have a hard time understanding is why my efforts to advance our common cause would be met with comments such as yours. You support 2A your way perhaps by weighing in on OCDO more frequently and I do it by providing a view of the issue through my coverage. I don't see where the conflict is between our two approaches, at least not enough to justify comments like the one you've posted above.

VW_Factor

Actually, the work I do to advance 2A on the PR front was largely initiated by the co-founders of OCDO. That's why I post my articles here. In fact, it was Mike Stollenwerk who recommended me to the Examiner. Most of the time I spend every day is focused on research to educate Californians about recent developments on 2A not only in the Golden State but also, all across the entire country. Given that this task is relatively time consuming, I don't have much time to weigh in on these forums. However, make no mistake about it, I am tied to OCDO in a myriad of ways. The California Open Carry petition is a joint effort between Responsible Citizens of California and Opencarry.org and this fact holds true both for AB 1934 last year and AB 144 this year.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CalOCPet/petition.html

What I have a hard time understanding is why my efforts to advance our common cause would be met with comments such as yours. You support 2A your way perhaps by weighing in on OCDO more frequently and I do it by providing a view of the issue through my coverage. I don't see where the conflict is between our two approaches, at least not enough to justify comments like the one you've posted above.

/applaud

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for your hard work. The article is very well-written and informative. I enjoyed reading it. I believe the point eye is trying to make is that your articles are the only things you seem to post. Hit and run. I am sure this is not how you want to come across but it is the impression you are leaving. I like your articles amd commend your work, but I see eye's point.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Did a full reading on that article plus another one. I have to say....I'm confused how taking away people's rights to carry or own firearms is going to stop any crimes that are so called committed. I also noticed there are a lot of Anti-Gun nuts reading those articles and commenting making statements such as....."Those gun people" and such! NONE of those idiots have a valid statement to make unless its in the books and gives a high percentage rate towards their statement. I have yet to meet a Anti-Gun nut who had an actual valid point besides....."Oh my god guns are bad and they create violence", which I still call a useless statement. Us human beings are guilty of making bad decisions, WHY take away a basic right just over human error.

All these Anti-Gun idiots act like there perfect and if guns weren't allowed for anyone besides Government, or Police agencies it be a perfect world. Sorry but when we got police officers breaking the law on top of citizens doing the same, it will not fix the issue UNLESS they ban guns completely from us and take our rights away. Which will never happen and all these Anti-Gun haters are just whining there mouths off until they turn blue!

Sorry but I get really annoyed by these morons who want to take away a constitutional right just because they think if it does happen all crime will stop. I'm sorry but taking away the rights for people to own firearms will not stop the criminals from getting access to them. Considering that the cartels and the Colombians still get MILLIONS of dollars worth of drugs across our border on top of firearms. As long as their is corruption in this world nothing is going to stop crime from happening, its human nature that greed and power is in our blood.

If some of you read this as me blowing off steam I apologize but this stuff really gets to me!

Tony4310

You are damn right this is the time to fight for our rights because the Government ( both local and national ) want to take them away under the guise of safety and security. The Constitution and Bill of Rights says what rights we have and noone, not even the police have the right to over rule that, NEXT!

eye95

...What I have a hard time understanding is why my efforts to advance our common cause would be met with comments such as yours...

Let me help you understand. Your behavior comes off as spamming. IOW, you post here only to bump up your readership, not because you care about the goings on here at all.

I suggest that you include in your "research" some of the grassroots opinions that you will learn about by discussing this issue with others here rather than using us as a pool of readers. You don't have time for us? I don't have time for you.

Did that assist your understanding?

CrimsonSoul

Ask the innocent people beaten killed and had their businesses looted with no police around that question. I was young at the time but I remember the la riots with people on their roof with a rifle and no one looted them that's for *** damned sure.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey guys. I found this great little article on examiner.com:

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-oakland/should-the-police-be-the-only-ones-armed-public-1

Honestly, I don't understand the animosity against the author linking his work here. Whether the author posts it here himself, or a member here finds it and links it here, I don't see enough difference to matter. People post John Lott, David Codrea, etc. There have been plenty of links to anti-gun articles and comments, for heaven sake. Its not like the author above is selling the latest Ronco widget.

What matters, I think is the data and perhaps insight and analysis if new or unique and valuable.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hey guys. I found this great little article on examiner.com:

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-oakland/should-the-police-be-the-only-ones-armed-public-1

Honestly, I don't understand the animosity against the author linking his work here. Whether the author posts it here himself, or a member here finds it and links it here, I don't see enough difference to matter. People post John Lott, David Codrea, etc. There have been plenty of links to anti-gun articles and comments, for heaven sake. Its not like the author above is selling the latest Ronco widget.

What matters, I think is the data and perhaps insight and analysis if new or unique and valuable.

Hey Citizen,

Great article, thanks for taking the time to post it here and share it with us....lol

Good point.

Black Dragon

If I come across as spamming, then allow me to apologize. That is not my intention. Certainly, no one is under any obligation to read any of the articles that I post here. As many of you have noticed, a large percentage of my articles are written to advance Open Carry in California, and, therefore, also the national Open Carry Movement at large. If I did not care about the Open Carry Movement (which is what is largely discussed here on OCDO) then I really wouldn't bother to write these articles at all. My goal, through my coverage of 2A issues in California, is to provide an insider perspective on critical gun rights issues and to keep those who support and protect 2A throughout the Golden State and the rest of the nation abreast of what is going on, hopefully from a deeper perspective than can be found in the usual, anti-gun mainstream media.

As far as posting here on OCDO goes, I will be the first to admit that I am not that active. However, my many posts supporting Open Carry on the RCC website should demonstrate that I do care about the Open Carry Movement and therefore, by affiliation and association, am concerned about what goes on here.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP If I come across as spamming, then allow me to apologize.

You don't come across as spamming. Only in the narrow minds of a few.

I occasionally check in on a blog called Volokh Conspiracy. A buncha legal types blogging together in one place. While I was skimming just a few minutes ago, I came across one of the bloggers' posts about a recent federal circuit court decision. In the middle of the post he mentioned that he had earlier blogged his thoughts on what might happen at the SCOTUS level, and provided a link to his earlier blog.

Now, one could say, "Jeezus, what effing arrogance. Self-spamming!! He's got a tremendously high opinion of himself doesn't he?"

Or, one could realize the whole reason for reading the current post was because the reader was interested in what the blogger had to say. And, well, goddamit. The reader might also want to read what was said in the earlier post. I for one appreciated the link because it would lead me where I would be interested to go. Rather than me hoping the blogger writes his thoughts about this case at SCOTUS, here it was just a click away.

So,

1. It ain't spam if one of the founders invited you. And,

2. It ain't spam if people are interested. If people are interested, its a courtesy.

I am interested. Keep them coming. And please ignore the narrow-minded hostiles who get all wrapped up in what they suppose is your self-importance and self-promotion (perhaps because they find themselves a little too important?).

tcmech

If I come across as spamming, then allow me to apologize. That is not my intention. Certainly, no one is under any obligation to read any of the articles that I post here. As many of you have noticed, a large percentage of my articles are written to advance Open Carry in California, and, therefore, also the national Open Carry Movement at large. If I did not care about the Open Carry Movement (which is what is largely discussed here on OCDO) then I really wouldn't bother to write these articles at all. My goal, through my coverage of 2A issues in California, is to provide an insider perspective on critical gun rights issues and to keep those who support and protect 2A throughout the Golden State and the rest of the nation abreast of what is going on, hopefully from a deeper perspective than can be found in the usual, anti-gun mainstream media.

As far as posting here on OCDO goes, I will be the first to admit that I am not that active. However, my many posts supporting Open Carry on the RCC website should demonstrate that I do care about the Open Carry Movement and therefore, by affiliation and association, am concerned about what goes on here.

I for one appreciate your posts and would like to thank you for posting links to your articles here.

eye95

I see that you still do not understand. No one is saying that you do not care about the movement. Personally, I don't know. I don't read your stuff.

No one is saying that you are not active anywhere, or that that means anything.

What I am saying is that your spamming behavior is extremely disrespectful toward those whom you hope to cajole into reading your stuff. We come off as a "resource" for you, not as comrades in this cause.

Just find 15 minutes a day to talk TO us. Instead, you talk AT us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The posts of Black Dragon are informative as they are intended to be. The Examiners serve a very useful and appreciated purpose - both Mike and John are Examiners I might add.

Comments that are virtual personal attacks are profoundly inappropriate and referring to Examiners threads/posts as spam is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.