• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun when riding Amtrak?

TFred

Or I guess if you miss your Amtrak train... This is rather troubling, since I do occasionally go down to the station to watch trains go by. But not 10:30 at night. The train station is close to some of the higher-crime areas of the city.

TFred

Armed robbery reported at train station*

ARMED ROBBERY:

Train Station, 200 Lafayette Blvd, 8/14 10:50 pm. A Newport News resident reported that he was sitting on a bench on the train platform after missing his train when he was approached by a male subject who asked him for the time. When the victim looked up after checking the time on his phone, the suspect was pointing a handgun at him. The suspect removed the victim’s wallet from his pocket; he then grabbed the victim’s backpack and cell phone and started to leave.

The victim walked after the suspect in an attempt to retrieve his property, but the suspect pulled out a knife and swung at him several times, slicing open the victim’s shirt in three places. The suspect then ran from the scene.

The suspect was described as a black male in his 30’s, approximately 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, and wearing a dark blue or black ball cap, gray shirt, and blue jeans. The suspect also had short hair and some facial hair or stubble. The investigation is ongoing.

By Natatia Bledsoe on August 15th, 2011 11:45 am

*Reprinted in full because this text is a reprint of the Fredericksburg City Police Crime log.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm confused. Suspect pulls a gun to rob the guy, who then goes after tobber to get his stuff back after being held up a gunpoint.

And the perp pulls a knife and slices at the victim?

Did the perp forget rhe robber had a gun? Or is there something we don't know - like the "gun" was not a firearm?

And what kind of dufus goes after a guy with (what he apparently seconds ago thought was) a gun trying to get his stuff back?

Like I said, I'm confused. Mostly because Amtrak only allows guns in checked luggage. Unless the victim was willing to risk being seen unloading and stuffing his gun into luggage to be checked for his trip, I don't see how his having a gun would have been possible. Or made a difference. ('Cause we all know he would not violate Amtrak rules and carry as a passenger, right?)

Or is the point that the world is inherently an unsafe place and the saber-toothed tigers have been replaced with armed robbers?

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I pretty much go to Condition Orange if a stranger asks me the time, or if I have a lighter. Unless he's wearing a suit and tie or looks like a lost tourist or something, I'm on guard.

Maybe its growing up in the 70's or something.

Blk97F150

Another incident in F'hood:

Man suffering from cancer is victim of a home invasion in the city.

<SNIP>
A man who is in the latter stages of cancer was robbed of his rent money and his medication during a home-invasion robbery yesterday in Fredericksburg, police said.

The victim, who is in his early 40s, lives on the ground floor of a home in the 300 block of Altoona Drive, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said.

About 5:45 p.m., someone knocked on the door leading to his living area.

When the victim opened the door, he was greeted by a man pointing a gun in his face and two other males wearing masks.

One of the masked men had a collapsible baton similar to the ones used by police officers, Bledsoe said.

Complete article: http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/082011/08162011/645845

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The last person who asked me:
"Do you know the time?"
got an answer from me that was direct.
"Yes I do!"

But I wouldn't check the time or offer to share that information with him.
When approached by a stranger, I never take my eyes off them. I also have a fairly expansive sense of "personal space".

"could you tell me the time?"
"Sure, if you want to back away some 10 yards or better!"

Better safe than courteous.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TFred

Another incident in F'hood:

Man suffering from cancer is victim of a home invasion in the city.

<SNIP>
A man who is in the latter stages of cancer was robbed of his rent money and his medication during a home-invasion robbery yesterday in Fredericksburg, police said.

The victim, who is in his early 40s, lives on the ground floor of a home in the 300 block of Altoona Drive, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said.

About 5:45 p.m., someone knocked on the door leading to his living area.

When the victim opened the door, he was greeted by a man pointing a gun in his face and two other males wearing masks.

One of the masked men had a collapsible baton similar to the ones used by police officers, Bledsoe said.

Complete article: http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/082011/08162011/645845
Yeah, that one is bizarre, this is not a bad area of town. I suspect this had to be some sort of an inside job, or at least by someone who knew of the victim's situation ahead of time to know that the drugs would be there.

TFred