• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

15 shot, 6 dead

Michigander

It's not a patrolling problem or a plain clothes open carrying problem, at least not exclusively. Detroit is a place the gets most of its non tax income from down town activities and the drug trade, because that's all the suburbs see it as useful for. Guns protect individuals and distinct groups, they do not protect entire cities without turning into some form of overbearing police state, and even then it might not work.

It'd take a combination of better policing, extensive good samaritan OCing around the neighborhood, all kinds of other volunteer efforts, and thorough legalization of drugs to fix detroit. Even then you'd still have many thousands of kids with extremely bad situations at home who would be well beyond meaningful help. :(

PDinDetroit

When millions in drugs get busted because someone is running thier mouth, that mouth is going to disappear.

I agree, nothing will eliminate crime, but when it comes to drugs, the .gov is the most powerful enabler.

classical-conditioning-except-for-that-time-you-got-to-be-a-demotivational-poster-1255405755.jpg

Michigander

Piss poor drug addicts would still need to rob and kill to fund their habit, whether they buy their crack from the corner dealer or Rite-Aid. Let's not be so naive to think legalizing drugs would make crime non existent.

Piss poor drug addicts get shot and killed on a routine basis in Detroit, and you're right, that'll never change, thus you and I will never stop encouraging carrying. But as I said, Detroit's problems are much more complex and extensive than such a simple summary could do justice to.

To put it another way, when you've got an epidemic of parents that put food on the table and pay bills by scouting out places to have their pre teen kids pull B&E's because no one in the household has any other marketable skills, guns don't mean much as a fix, other than to stop an individual act and either kill, or cause a judicial wrist slap.