• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coffee with Rep Jason Overstreet.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I am attempting to set up a meeting with Rep Jason Overstreet to discuss Washington gun laws and a few safety issues. (I don't like the idea that an OCer has to unload/reload his/her weapon when getting in and out of vehicles. Excessive and unneeded handling) His office suggested Aug 31, a wednesday at 0900. I countered with sunday because most people work during the week. His office will get back on that.

My question to members is... Can you attend?? I do not want to be sitting alone. The site will be the Starbucks on west bakerview road, next to Fred Myers.

Schlepnier

I have a CPL so the car thing isn't an issue for me and should not be for the rest of us since most have a CPL in addition to OCing. Which as you is the only way you can carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle in WA. under the safe transport law.

I think it would be better to address the issue of clarification on "warrenting alarm", especially when the AGs office has to send out legal briefs to local law enforcement agencies to try and steer them in the right direction. Its an old 60's anti-black panther regulation that is being missapplied now that the threat of militant black panthers is a distant memory.

Unfortunately i will still be working when you do your meeting but best of luck to you.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

I have a CPL so the car thing isn't an issue for me and should not be for the rest of us since most have a CPL in addition to OCing. Which as you is the only way you can carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle in WA. under the safe transport law.

I think it would be better to address the issue of clarification on "warrenting alarm", especially when the AGs office has to send out legal briefs to local law enforcement agencies to try and steer them in the right direction. Its an old 60's anti-black panther regulation that is being missapplied now that the threat of militant black panthers is a distant memory.

Unfortunately i will still be working when you do your meeting but best of luck to you.

What If I just didn't want to have to PAY to exercise my rights but only got a CPL because of the car thing.

amzbrady

I am wondering, if you have to have your CPL on you if you are open carry in your vehicle, or just readily accessable?

hermannr

I am wondering, if you have to have your CPL on you if you are open carry in your vehicle, or just readily accessable?

Personally I do not have my wallet in my pocket at any time when I am in our car or truck. It is in the catch all between the seats. (not a closed consol, just a place for toll change etc.) My drivers license is there also. I have never been asked for my CPL so experience cannot answer that particular question, but if you think about your drivers license...how I do it has never raised a question? How about your experience.

I put my wallet in my pocket when I exit the vehicle.

I also would like to discuss both questions brought up. I did not have a CPL for many years, but unloading was a pain. I got my CPL so I didn't have to wait when I purchased a gun, but it helped the unloaded in a vehicle problem too. I still OC, and have done so since 1970.

The "display" wording could be improved. It should specifically state that as long as a weapon is in a holster is in no possible manner to be considered an illegal "display" of the weapon.

I have never encountered this, but it would be good to have a prohibition against an officer removeing a holstered weapon from a person unless that person has/is committing a violent crime at the time. That is a safely and personal privacy issue. A holstered weapon will never hurt anyone. Once it is out of the safety of the holster, anything can happen.

ARADCOM

Vehicle carry

Looks to me like it just needs to be available to you to show if required to do so:

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My suggestion...

RCW 9.41.270
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person

is changed to this....

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that manifests an intent to intimidate another person.

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person

Last edited:

amzbrady

Looks to me like it just needs to be available to you to show if required to do so:

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

That right there is why I ask. I would think the way it is written, it means your CPL has to be within reach, or readily available if you need to show it. The law does not state on his or her person.

hermannr

It has always been my understanding that, like your drivers license, it needs to be somewhere, where you can produce it if required to do so by law. It is also like your passport...do you really carry it on your person when you go to Canada? Or if you are Canadian visiting the US? Or even Europe? No, just as long as it is readily accessable is all that is necessary, that is...don't leave it at home.

sudden valley gunner

is changed to this....

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that manifests an intent to intimidate another person.

Should do away with exhibit or display also.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Robert. As soon as his office gets back to me I will post time and date.
So far we have the following topics
1. Safety issue
2. the issue of clarification on "warrenting alarm"
3. Should do away with exhibit or display also.

Schlepnier

I think understanding the background of the law will help a great deal in getting the understanding across, in todays atmosphere the law could almost be considered racist since it's intended target was a specific group of black citizens.

skyisfalling

H.r. 1506

H.R. 1506
A bill to grant Attorney General the power to deny sale and transfer
to known terrorists.

My concern is that every time the government enacts a law to fight terrorism,
it is turned against the law abiding American citizens.

hermannr

H.R. 1506
to known terrorists.

"known" is not a good word here. "Convicted" works, there is no doubt then...but then that is already covered, That would be like Hitler saying (he did) "we will confiscate your arms if you are a member of the "communist" party".

Some time down the road when the libertarian party is out of favor (and a danger to the powers that be)...

sudden valley gunner

"known" is not a good word here. "Convicted" works, there is no doubt then...but then that is already covered, That would be like Hitler saying (he did) "we will confiscate your arms if you are a member of the "communist" party".

Some time down the road when the libertarian party is out of favor (and a danger to the powers that be)...

We already are, have you read the homegrown terrorist act. Very vague wording.

GuidoZ

Any update on date/time? I'd be happy to jump up there, but I'll need a few days notice to make sure my schedule is clean. :)

--
Peace. ~G

amlevin

H.R. 1506
to known terrorists.

Does the Seattle Police Department qualify as a "terrorist organization" and their members who like to terrorize citizens as "terrorists"?;)

This bill might apply to them too.