• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Livonia PD just pulled me over for OC'ing on motorcycle???

Haman J.T.

Man I shoulda known that!!! IMO!!!

Thx stainless
It took me a long time to figure out what IMO meant. I just don't understand how it is that the first time I decide to use it someone else wouldn't know what it meant! I thought I was just one of the old farts who didn't get this newfangled stuff! LOL! There! I used another one! Welcome! CARRY ON!

jmlefler

I don't think it was a good stop, if the PO pulled you over just because he saw a weapon...

"Officers are reminded that the Fourth Amendment protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures. Carrying a non-concealed firearm is generally legal. Officers may engage in a consensual encounter with a person carrying a non-concealed pistol; however, in order to stop a citizen, officers are required to have reasonable suspicion that crime is afoot. For example, officers may not stop a person on the mere possibility the person may be carrying an unregistered pistol. Officers must possess facts rising to the level of reasonable suspicion to believe the person is carrying an unregistered pistol."

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Carry on.

NHCGRPR45

If he was testing me what was he testing me for? What would you guys have said or done differently
than I did?
That was my first time being stopped for open carrying and I'm not gonna lie I was a bit nervous? My hands shook a bit... I'm such a whimp!!!

No your not a whimp, my first LEO encounter was a bit worse than that, but yea I was a little scared. There were 2 of them and they were VERY into the whole command pressence thing, very loud and very threating. They demanded everything and ordered me to conceal my gun. I complied and got a sound tounge lashing for "taking them away" from real police work. You did very well.

I did remember one thing "big time" (don't reach for your gun if he askes for it)
when he asked for my ID I felt uncomfortable reaching for my wallet and made sure he knew I was
armed which I knew he already did. I just wanted to make sure he knew and I knew I didn't want to get shot reaching for my wallet and him saying or thinking I was reaching for my gun!

The larger danger comes from an officer just arriving or a partner officer who didn't hear the lead officer ask you for your ID. The just arriving officer sees who he believes to be a BG or at the very least a "suspect" reaching for a gun. He does what he was trained to and attempts to help/save his fellow officer. The Other situation is similar and with with similar results. Again you did very well, and if he had asked to take temporary custody of the weapon then I would personally never draw the gun myself, I would have the officer disarm me. That helps to reduce the possibillity of the 2 above situations.

cmdr_iceman71

I'm just pleased that you learned your lesson about going around without a voice recorder. Because this stop could have gone worse. Take my advice and invest in a device that is designed from the ground up to record conversations and sound (i.e. digital voice recorder) When I listen to the playback on my mp3 players vs. my dedicated voice recorder there is simply no comparison.

"Legally speaking officer, it is impossible in the state of Michigan to have a loaded handgun on your person's while inside or sitting upon a motor vehicle and have that method of carry considered "open carry." Regardless how visible the firearm, by legal defintion it is concealed."

Nonetheless you did well because you kept your head on and rode away with your freedom, firearm, and no fines or citation. It gets easier.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Chief Stevenson,

I would like to relay to you an incident that happened in your city today. It appears your officers may need some additional training on open carry and concealed carry laws. This was taken from one of our forums. Please forgive any spelling or grammar errors.

"Was on my motorcycle OC'ing and a Livonia marked police car got behind me followed me for a mile or so and a few turns then lit me up. I pulled over and he got out and asked me for my ID I said I was carrying and was a bit hesitant to reach for my ID cause it was on the same side as my gun. He told me that was the reason he pulled me over (gun showing) and he already knew that I had a CPL. Then he proceeds to tell me that I was open carrying and that my gun was in a holster and that partially conceals my gun so I was in violation of open carrying laws??? I played dumb like my shirt must a blew up
showing my gun I didn't want to argue with him but I was baffled I didn't know what to say anyway??!! He was a patrol supervisor it said on his car. He was not very disrespectful took my and got back in his car for about 2 minutes he got out gave me my I'd and asked if I had anywhere to put my gun on my bike and I just pulled my shirt over my gun and said I would be good like this. Told him thanks for not jamming me up on anything and we were both on r way.

He did say something about groups OC'ing and said I should be aware of the OC'ing and CC'Ing laws.
Did I do something wrong?

He knew before he pulled me over I had a CPL so he said the reason for the stop was OC'ing illegally because gun was in a holster partially concealing the gun? He even pointed to his gun and his holster and said that he would also be in violation of OC'ing laws? So how r u supposed to OC hold it in your hand?! By a string?"

As I am sure you are aware, a person who possesses a CPL may open carry or conceal carry in all places not listed in MCL 28.425o. A person who possesses a valid CPL may also open or conceal carry while on a motorcycle. Absent any other valid reason for pulling this gentleman over, this was an illegal stop. The gentleman in question may be contacting you in regards to this incident.

If your officers have not reviewed MSP Legal Update 86, it is a good refresher on open carry and how MCL 28.425o and 750.234d work together. If my organization can be of any assistance to the LPD with regard to open carry and applicable laws, please feel free to contact me. We would be happy to help you craft a current training manual on open carry.

I have appreciated your professionalism during our correspondence in the past. I am sure you will look in this situation with the same level of professionalism I have come to know. Any update you can provide me after your investigation will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

--
Rob Harris
Vice President
Michigan Open Carry Inc.

did you CC (carbon copy, not concealed carry) the council on this one? :monkey:dude::banana:

scot623

On Aug 16, 2011, at 7:43 AM, "Stevenson, Robert" <rstevenson@lpdmail.com> wrote:

Mr. Harris, *

Would it be possible to find out what time this occurred. I would like to have the video pulled for review. Narrowing down the time greatly speeds up locating the video. I will inform you of the outcome.

Thank you for the MSP link. I will forward it to The Patrol Shift Lieutenants.*

Very Truly Yours,

Robert Stevenson

Chief Stevenson, Once again, thank you for *your quick response. The stop occurred on Hines drive and Newburgh Rd at 4:30 pm yesterday. *

Not to create any confusion by discussing two incidents in one email, but I did contact the gentleman stopped at the Highland Games. He confirmed the first person heard talking to him on the audio link I sent you was in fact a Livonia Police officer. The officer was the first person to initiate contact. *After the pause, you then hear the official from the Highland Games speaking to him.

Thanks again for your help in these matters. *

Rob Harris
Vice President
Michigan Open Carry
www.miopencarry.org
586-913-1661

Tucker6900

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read somewhere, a law or rule, that stated a reasonable person can clearly identify that its a pistol, its not concealed.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
no, that's not a law, but it is just good common sense. i think some have surmised that in court it would go like this:

defense attorney: "officer shmuckatelly, how did you know that my client had a firearm?"

officer shmuckatelly: "because i could see it, it was clearly on his hip in a holster."

defense attorney: "your honor, i move to dismiss on the grounds that my client's firearm was not concealed and that officer shmuckatelly is clearly insane for trying to charge my client with a concealed weapon violation"

T Mack

On Aug 16, 2011, at 7:43 AM, "Stevenson, Robert" <rstevenson@lpdmail.com> wrote:

Mr. Harris, *

Would it be possible to find out what time this occurred. I would like to have the video pulled for review. Narrowing down the time greatly speeds up locating the video. I will inform you of the outcome.

Thank you for the MSP link. I will forward it to The Patrol Shift Lieutenants.*

Very Truly Yours,

Robert Stevenson

Chief Stevenson, Once again, thank you for *your quick response. The stop occurred on Hines drive and Newburgh Rd at 4:30 pm yesterday. *

Not to create any confusion by discussing two incidents in one email, but I did contact the gentleman stopped at the Highland Games. He confirmed the first person heard talking to him on the audio link I sent you was in fact a Livonia Police officer. The officer was the first person to initiate contact. *After the pause, you then hear the official from the Highland Games speaking to him.

Thanks again for your help in these matters. *

Rob Harris
Vice President
Michigan Open Carry
www.miopencarry.org
586-913-1661

This is getting interesting

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Oh man.... I don't know why that caught me just right... but I had to SERIOUSLY styfle some laughter after reading that to avoid getting busted surfing the I-net at work... lmfao!!!!

yeah, it's a marine corps thing, whenever a drill instructor would tell a cautionary tale about how not to do something, the star of the show would always be PFC Shmuckatelly. he was usually a bumbling idiot, which is why the name fit so well for my story.:cool:

jeremy05

Sounds like a Decent Stop IMO
The officer saw the OC handgun on a Motorcycle and wanted to make sure he had a CPL.

Maybe the Officer wanted to inform the individual that his Firearm was In the Open AND If he Didnt have a CPL that he should try to keep it covered up better.

Upon finding that the individual riding the motorcycle has a CPL he should have been cut free. Five minute stop and your on your way.

I personally would not have made the stop, as its a waste of time anyways, CPL holders show up on the license plate when you run them anyways, so how much further would you really need to investigate him. Not like the plate comes back stolen! If so have at it! FELONY STOP! Fun fun!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
no, that's not a law, but it is just good common sense. i think some have surmised that in court it would go like this:

defense attorney: "officer shmuckatelly, how did you know that my client had a firearm?"

officer shmuckatelly: "because i could see it, it was clearly on his hip in a holster."

defense attorney: "your honor, i move to dismiss on the grounds that my client's firearm was not concealed and that officer shmuckatelly is clearly insane for trying to charge my client with a concealed weapon violation"

COUNTER-POINT
Prosecutor: Your honor Officer shmuckatelly is a highly trained observer and is trained to detect concealed weapons. So the officer is not a reasonable person in regards to the reasonableness standard and this case should move forward.

The above is from a real case and guess what? the case (Although an IWB holster) moved forward.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
stopping someone for OC on a motorcycle to check for a CPL makes no more sense than stopping someone on a motorcycle to make sure their DL has a motorcycle endorsement... or stopping all trucks to make sure the driver has a CDL

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The officer saw the OC handgun on a Motorcycle and wanted to make sure he had a CPL.

Maybe the Officer wanted to inform the individual that his Firearm was In the Open AND If he Didnt have a CPL that he should try to keep it covered up better.

Upon finding that the individual riding the motorcycle has a CPL he should have been cut free. Five minute stop and your on your way.

I personally would not have made the stop, as its a waste of time anyways, CPL holders show up on the license plate when you run them anyways, so how much further would you really need to investigate him. Not like the plate comes back stolen! If so have at it! FELONY STOP! Fun fun!

The officer admitted that he already knew he had a CPL and stopped him anyway....pure harassment.

Don't understand AND If he Didnt have a CPL that he should try to keep it covered up better. Typo? Otherwise he would be breaking the law.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
COUNTER-POINT
Prosecutor: Your honor Officer shmuckatelly is a highly trained observer and is trained to detect concealed weapons. So the officer is not a reasonable person in regards to the reasonableness standard and this case should move forward.

The above is from a real case and guess what? the case (Although an IWB holster) moved forward.

what about the reasonableness standard in regards to ANY PERSON ON THE STREET. forget about the officer being able to identify it, what about everyone from the age of 2-92 being able to clearly identify it?

scot623

What other legal activity would you like to be stopped for? Just driving? Why not pull over everyone to be sure they aren't driving on a suspended license? Why not stop everyone walking on the sidewalk to make sure they don't have outstanding warrants? Why not search every house in the city looking for drugs or kidnapped children? There is a reason cops needs reasonable articulable suspicion or probable cause to stop people. This isn't Russia.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I don't think it was a good stop, if the PO pulled you over just because he saw a weapon...

"Officers are reminded that the Fourth Amendment protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures. Carrying a non-concealed firearm is generally legal. Officers may engage in a consensual encounter with a person carrying a non-concealed pistol; however, in order to stop a citizen, officers are required to have reasonable suspicion that crime is afoot. For example, officers may not stop a person on the mere possibility the person may be carrying an unregistered pistol. Officers must possess facts rising to the level of reasonable suspicion to believe the person is carrying an unregistered pistol."

Carry on.

If carrying a firearm while on a motorcycle were legal without a cpl, I would agree. I would also agree if more than 80% of those 21+ had a cpl.

Regarding the citation, driving a vehicle with a firearm within reach and walking down the street with a firearm within reach are two very different behaviors in the eyes of the law; one is legal and one is legal ONLY by exception. However, as I stated above, as soon as he determined you had a cpl, and it was indeed you driving, then the interaction should have stopped. BTW, he probably ran the plate and it indicated that the ownwer had a cpl; he checked your license only to see if it was indeed you. Also, one could make a strong argument that if the registered owner had a cpl and the officer received that information BEFORE he stopped you, then the stop MAY have been illegal. But, in court, if the officer gives a statement that the totality of the circumstances indicated to him that you were not the owner, a judge would most likely determine the officer stopped you legally.