• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Proactive Shooters live fire course coming soon! Defensive Handgun I

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
We will soon be offering a new live fire course, Defensive Handgun I.

The course will be conducted at an outdoor range facility in Doswell, Va. The course is not a beginner's course, but will teach some basic moving/shooting techniques.

More details coming soon. Stay tuned!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
We will soon be offering a new live fire course, Defensive Handgun I.

The course will be conducted at an outdoor range facility in Doswell, Va. The course is not a beginner's course, but will teach some basic moving/shooting techniques.

More details coming soon. Stay tuned!

Sounds awesome. Make it a great price lime your other classes please!!! Look forward to hearing more about it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This should draw a lot of interest as there is just not enough of this being taught locally.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's coming together for you Jim!:dude:
Now....will you have enough range for shotgun and eventually, rifle?

ProShooter

What type of experience is required for this course?

Students should have a basic familiarity with their handguns and shooting them safely. The course involves basic movement and firing from standing, kneeling and prone positions. Distances will range from 3 yards to 25 yards.

From our website:

Defensive Handgun I is a structured shooting class designed to teach you the beginning shooting techniques needed to properly deploy your defensive handgun, while at the same time reinforcing safe gun handling skills. Students will shoot from standing, kneeling, and prone positions, at various distances at our outdoor range facility. The course generally runs about 6-8 hours, depending on class size (Limit 10 students per class).

Topics include:

One/Two hand shooting techniques

Linear/Lateral Movement

Target Recognition

Verbal Commands

Magazine changes/reloads while shooting

Shooting from Retention

Shooting from Standing, Kneeling & Prone Positions

Reinforcement of Basic Handgun Skills & Safety

ProShooter

It's coming together for you Jim!:dude:
Now....will you have enough range for shotgun and eventually, rifle?

Thanks! We're very excited to be able to offer this class, and future classes that will teach more tactical type manuevers. I'm already working on Defensive Handgun II (the next level) and I hope that our students progress through the courses and learn how to "make their gun go to work". :)

I think that we can comfortably shoot shotguns but the range does not allow for rifle distances.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Thanks! We're very excited to be able to offer this class, and future classes that will teach more tactical type manuevers. I'm already working on Defensive Handgun II (the next level) and I hope that our students progress through the courses and learn how to "make their gun go to work". :)

I think that we can comfortably shoot shotguns but the range does not allow for rifle distances.

Is this going to be at all similar to IDPA?

ProShooter

Is this going to be at all similar to IDPA?

Honestly, I can't answer that since I don't shoot IDPA. I can tell you that it is very similar to TTSA (try to stay alive :))

The basic idea behind this course is to give a gun carrier an introduction to moving and shooting from various positions and distances (which most people never practice), mixed with some different skills, and of course, safe handling. I think that students who take this course, and the subsequent Defensive Handgun II, will learn some great skills that will make them much more well rounded in the use of their defensive handgun.

ProShooter

Are you going to give a discount for people who sign up for both defensive handgun classes? Maybe? Please?

I guess I'd have to think about it, but I think we may require someone to take the first one before you can get to the second one.......I'll think about that though. Its too early to make any decisions regarding that as I'm still working on DH II.