• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-carry puts Auburn shoppers on edge

Maine CWP Training

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011

Shoppers at Best Buy in Auburn Sunday may have seen a young man in a black T-shirt, hat, sunglasses and camouflage pants.

But what really set him apart from other shoppers was the large handgun strapped to his hip.

READ MORE

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Precisely why we work to normalize the every day perception of OCing.

The article relies on negative "buzz words" that are designed to inflame the reader and does not raise a valid question, but is pushing an anti agenda.

Indeed how does one tell the difference between a criminal intent on wrecking havoc and a legal, good citizen carrying for his/her personal self defense? Answer: By their observed demeanor and actions.

Carrying concealed changes nothing regarding the perceived safety of others. Such merely moves it to the realm of "out of sight, out of mind."

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
My response to the author-- tried to keep it short in hopes that we can start a dialogue.

Hello,
my name is Shane Belanger and I am the founder of the Maine Open Carry Association. I would just like to bring a few simple facts to your attention that you may not have realized. I don't want this email to be too long. The whole reason that there are concealed carry laws on the books is because people would carry concealed weapons if they were going to commit crimes. This is also the reason that we don't see open carry laws in states, because when a person carries openly they are blatantly stating that they are not a criminal. If you use the logic that there "has never been a mass shooting in Maine". Then, likewise you must use the logic that an open carrier has never committed a crime involving any type of assault. Likewise, the rate of police brutality and "bad shooting" is on an extreme rise, although I am in no way anti law enforcement I realize that they are human. I find it disconcerting that you find it fine for a man with a badge perfectly fit, while you see your neighbor, your friend, your colleague as unfit.

Statistically the more firearms per household, the less crime there is. This is because what criminals fear most are not police officers, they fear armed citizens. Do your research, write an informed article from both perspectives.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well, as person who has a Michigan Concealed Pistol license, if I want to carry in Maine, I must open carry; Maine does not recognize my permit. Thirty-seven other states recognize Michigan's permit to conceal; Maine is not one of them.

* This in no way supports the belief that one should need a permit to protect themselves, just stating one more argument that open carry is my only option, even if I did prefer to conceal. (I don't)

Last edited:

rhenriksen

Maybe a trash pick up?

Sounds like a great idea. I think picking both a location and a time in L/A where there'll be people out and about would give you the most bang for your buck. Any parades, festivals, tag sales, flea markets, etc happening in the next month that would bring more foot traffic than normal into a public area?