Thread: Maine Open Carry rally fails to spark protest

Maine Open Carry rally fails to spark protest

Aug 16, 2011

A get-together Sunday promoting the right to openly carry a firearm did not spark the kind of protests and backlash seen last year.

Shane Belanger and Forrest Brown were the first to arrive Sunday, Aug. 14, at Back Cove across from Hannaford grocery store. They were the organizers of an event bringing together proponents of "open carry," sponsored by the Maine Open Carry Association. They each had a visible firearm in a holster, which makes the point they’re trying to get across, that people have the right to carry a firearm openly in Maine.

READ MORE
    fails to spark protest
    I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT WAS THE OBJECTIVE
    Last edited by Maine CWP Training; 08-16-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Fair and balanced reporting - very positive article.

"The men (Shane and Forrest) discussed one of their favorite cities with this reporter, Kennesaw, Ga., where in 1982 an ordinance was passed that made it a requirement for heads of households to own and maintain a firearm. The population has gone from 5,000 to approximately 30,000 but the law has remained on the books, although some exceptions have been granted, and no one has been prosecuted for failure to comply with the ordinance."

http://portlanddailysun.me/news/stor...-spark-protest

Kennesaw, Ga has experienced an exceptionally low crime rate and virtually no problems with citizens exercising their RKBA. Portland could well benefit from such participation and attitudes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I don't care much for the PDS (my main reasons for picking up are that it's free and there are two crosswords to do while I'm a work), though this article seemed a bit better then the one from the PPH about the BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMaineOC View Post
    I don't care much for the PDS (my main reasons for picking up are that it's free and there are two crosswords to do while I'm a work), though this article seemed a bit better then the one from the PPH about the BBQ.
    The PDS reporter arrived at 11:00, around the same time Shane and myself got there, and spent the next hour talking with us and getting information. She only left when Lt. Sweatt and his patrol sergeant arrived. She had some interesting things to say about Dan Skolnik, which I'm going to keep off the record. Anyways, nice lady.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

It's just a shame that she didn't include the most important part of the Kennesaw experiment: the dramatic reduction in crime immediately thereafter, especially when compared w. the surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Fair and balanced reporting - very positive article.

"The men (Shane and Forrest) discussed one of their favorite cities with this reporter, Kennesaw, Ga., where in 1982 an ordinance was passed that made it a requirement for heads of households to own and maintain a firearm. The population has gone from 5,000 to approximately 30,000 but the law has remained on the books, although some exceptions have been granted, and no one has been prosecuted for failure to comply with the ordinance."

http://portlanddailysun.me/news/stor...-spark-protest

Kennesaw, Ga has experienced an exceptionally low crime rate and virtually no problems with citizens exercising their RKBA. Portland could well benefit from such participation and attitudes.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    It's just a shame that she didn't include the most important part of the Kennesaw experiment: the dramatic reduction in crime immediately thereafter, especially when compared w. the surrounding area.
    My hope is that people will read this, not believe it and read more about it... finding out just how safe Kennesaw is!