• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine Open Carry rally fails to spark protest

Maine CWP Training

Aug 16, 2011

A get-together Sunday promoting the right to openly carry a firearm did not spark the kind of protests and backlash seen last year.

Shane Belanger and Forrest Brown were the first to arrive Sunday, Aug. 14, at Back Cove across from Hannaford grocery store. They were the organizers of an event bringing together proponents of "open carry," sponsored by the Maine Open Carry Association. They each had a visible firearm in a holster, which makes the point they’re trying to get across, that people have the right to carry a firearm openly in Maine.

READ MORE
fails to spark protest
I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT WAS THE OBJECTIVE

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fair and balanced reporting - very positive article.

"The men (Shane and Forrest) discussed one of their favorite cities with this reporter, Kennesaw, Ga., where in 1982 an ordinance was passed that made it a requirement for heads of households to own and maintain a firearm. The population has gone from 5,000 to approximately 30,000 but the law has remained on the books, although some exceptions have been granted, and no one has been prosecuted for failure to comply with the ordinance."

http://portlanddailysun.me/news/story/open-carry-rally-fails-spark-protest

Kennesaw, Ga has experienced an exceptionally low crime rate and virtually no problems with citizens exercising their RKBA. Portland could well benefit from such participation and attitudes.

PiercedMaineOC

I don't care much for the PDS (my main reasons for picking up are that it's free and there are two crosswords to do while I'm a work), though this article seemed a bit better then the one from the PPH about the BBQ.

ep0k

I don't care much for the PDS (my main reasons for picking up are that it's free and there are two crosswords to do while I'm a work), though this article seemed a bit better then the one from the PPH about the BBQ.

The PDS reporter arrived at 11:00, around the same time Shane and myself got there, and spent the next hour talking with us and getting information. She only left when Lt. Sweatt and his patrol sergeant arrived. She had some interesting things to say about Dan Skolnik, which I'm going to keep off the record. Anyways, nice lady.

rhenriksen

It's just a shame that she didn't include the most important part of the Kennesaw experiment: the dramatic reduction in crime immediately thereafter, especially when compared w. the surrounding area.

Fair and balanced reporting - very positive article.

"The men (Shane and Forrest) discussed one of their favorite cities with this reporter, Kennesaw, Ga., where in 1982 an ordinance was passed that made it a requirement for heads of households to own and maintain a firearm. The population has gone from 5,000 to approximately 30,000 but the law has remained on the books, although some exceptions have been granted, and no one has been prosecuted for failure to comply with the ordinance."

http://portlanddailysun.me/news/story/open-carry-rally-fails-spark-protest

Kennesaw, Ga has experienced an exceptionally low crime rate and virtually no problems with citizens exercising their RKBA. Portland could well benefit from such participation and attitudes.