Thread: File this away for when another magazine limit bill comes up

File this away for when another magazine limit bill comes up

The front page of today's Courant reports a home invasion in North Branford by 5 armed thugs:

http://www.courant.com/community/nor...,4117936.story

Luckily, no shots were fired and nobody was seriously, physically injured. Now imagine if there was gunfire. What if the homeowner was forced to defend himself and his family with deadly force? Now image further that the homeowner had only 10 rounds to defend himself. Would you feel secure in that situation?

When the assembly considers another magazine limit bill, stories like this need to be trotted out as evidence that confrontation by multiple, armed attackers does happen and that 10 rounds would be woefully inadequate in such a situation.

This is why I keep 3 standard capacity magazines by my bedside, each fully topped off with 17 rounds.

Imagine if the male homeowner when returning home was armed and dispatched the 5 felons.

Instead, they are now on the loose and know which town to come to for expensive houses filled with expensive items. Eventually they will learn some of those houses are also filled with people with guns who know how to use them.

I think this incident clearly demonstrates why people who only have a home defense gun and not one on their hip are not as safe as they think they are.
    Last edited by Rich B; 08-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.

I am also using this as an example in my classes.

It's not enough to have the gun, but get the training and planning necessary to use it properly.

Could've ended worse. But still not good.

Castle Doctrine is sorely needed.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Apparently the Courant feels wealth and home invasions go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B
    Ms. Dempsey,
    Could you please help me understand why the following line is relevant to the article you wrote?

The house, appraised at $686,300, is in the Northford section of town. Clemente and Maria Martone are listed in assessment records as the owners. Clemente Martone owns a masonry business.

Why is this information relevant? Do you believe it is in anyone's best interest to attach this information to the article?

Would you also post this kind of information if this invasion happened in a double wide trailer worth $20,000?

Curious,
    --
    Rich Burgess
    Ph: 203.208.9577
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B
    Ms. Dempsey,
    I am still eagerly awaiting your reply.

--

Rich Burgess
    Ph: 203.208.9577
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Busemeyer
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for writing. Iím Christineís editor.

We routinely provide publicly available information in our stories if we feel itís relevant. In this case, which apparently involved a home-invasion robbery, itís important to describe the target of the crime and the general characteristics of the neighborhood. Iím sure youíd agree that it gives the reader a more complete understanding of the circumstances.

The relevance question isnít always an easy one to answer, though, and we wrangle with it often enough Ė we too believe that some details of peopleís lives should be kept out of the paper, even when they are a matter of public record.

In this case, though, the relationship of the apparent wealth of the target to the type of crime is clear.

Thanks again for writing. Itís always good to revisit decisions weíve made as we work to provide readers with the most complete report possible.

Take care,
    Stephen

Stephen Busemeyer
    Breaking News Editor
    The Hartford Courant
    busemeyer@courant.com
    w 860-241-6662
    c 860-982-6877