• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

File this away for when another magazine limit bill comes up

JohnGalt

The front page of today's Courant reports a home invasion in North Branford by 5 armed thugs:

http://www.courant.com/community/no...d-home-invasion-0816-20110815,0,4117936.story

Luckily, no shots were fired and nobody was seriously, physically injured. Now imagine if there was gunfire. What if the homeowner was forced to defend himself and his family with deadly force? Now image further that the homeowner had only 10 rounds to defend himself. Would you feel secure in that situation?

When the assembly considers another magazine limit bill, stories like this need to be trotted out as evidence that confrontation by multiple, armed attackers does happen and that 10 rounds would be woefully inadequate in such a situation.

This is why I keep 3 standard capacity magazines by my bedside, each fully topped off with 17 rounds.

Rich B

Imagine if the male homeowner when returning home was armed and dispatched the 5 felons.

Instead, they are now on the loose and know which town to come to for expensive houses filled with expensive items. Eventually they will learn some of those houses are also filled with people with guns who know how to use them.

I think this incident clearly demonstrates why people who only have a home defense gun and not one on their hip are not as safe as they think they are.

Last edited:

KIX

I am also using this as an example in my classes.

It's not enough to have the gun, but get the training and planning necessary to use it properly.

Could've ended worse. But still not good.

Castle Doctrine is sorely needed.

Jonathan

Rich B

Apparently the Courant feels wealth and home invasions go hand in hand.

Rich B said:
Ms. Dempsey,
Could you please help me understand why the following line is relevant to the article you wrote?

The house, appraised at $686,300, is in the Northford section of town. Clemente and Maria Martone are listed in assessment records as the owners. Clemente Martone owns a masonry business.

Why is this information relevant? Do you believe it is in anyone's best interest to attach this information to the article?

Would you also post this kind of information if this invasion happened in a double wide trailer worth $20,000?

Curious,
--
Rich Burgess
Ph: 203.208.9577

Rich B said:
Ms. Dempsey,
I am still eagerly awaiting your reply.

--

Rich Burgess
Ph: 203.208.9577

Stephen Busemeyer said:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for writing. I’m Christine’s editor.

We routinely provide publicly available information in our stories if we feel it’s relevant. In this case, which apparently involved a home-invasion robbery, it’s important to describe the target of the crime and the general characteristics of the neighborhood. I’m sure you’d agree that it gives the reader a more complete understanding of the circumstances.

The relevance question isn’t always an easy one to answer, though, and we wrangle with it often enough – we too believe that some details of people’s lives should be kept out of the paper, even when they are a matter of public record.

In this case, though, the relationship of the apparent wealth of the target to the type of crime is clear.

Thanks again for writing. It’s always good to revisit decisions we’ve made as we work to provide readers with the most complete report possible.

Take care,
Stephen

Stephen Busemeyer
Breaking News Editor
The Hartford Courant
busemeyer@courant.com
w 860-241-6662
c 860-982-6877