• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to help a neighbor now I have questions

erick212

Ok folks a neighbor of mine asked me to hold on to a pistol(he is a permit holder) for him because his he and his wife are going thru some issues. He and his wife thought it would be better if the pistol was out of the house so i said that i would lock it in my safe until things blew over. This was 2 weeks ago, well, last night i came home from work to find police @ there house next door. It seems that he put his hands on her and was arrested, the police were informed that i had his pistol and i was told by them to just leave it locked up for now. This morning he was charged and a restraining order was issued on him. Now, I dont know what the options are and if his permit is revoked what he/ i should do with the pistol. I do not feel that at this time in good conceince that i could hand the gun back to him. Any ideas would help. By the way i an a pistol permit holder and also a NRA pistol instructor but have never crossed this bridge.

Thank you,

Erick

KIX

Well, actually, it isn't good for him to take it either.

You really did a decent thing and it probably looks better for him in the long run that he has done this before the restraining order was issued.

I'd say you may get contacted to relinquish the firearm to the local authorities (possible). If so, take a receipt and leave it at that.

I wouldn't relinquish without the receipt and I'd give your neighbor a copy. Too often you hear of people not getting receipts for firearms transferred to the authorities and it just causes a whole huge mess.

Jonathan

erick212

Thank you for the advise, I will talk to the owner of the pistol tonight and let him know. I will ask him to look into it also and see if there are more option but, it will not be returned to him with what is going on.

brk913

If he is willing to he can transfer the gun to you, it's better than turning it over to the PD. You will need to fill out the appropriate forms and call for an authorization number. Then if his rights are restored you can transfer it back to him. If he winds up being ineligible permanently he could have you sell the gun and give him the money...

Last edited:

KIX

If he is willing to he can transfer the gun to you, it's better than turning it over to the PD. You will need to fill out the appropriate forms and call for an authorization number. Then if his rights are restored you can transfer it back to him. If he winds up being ineligible permanently he could have you sell the gun and give him the money...

This is also a good option and prevents the LEO's from "losing" them. Happens ALL the time.

Also, most restraining orders are temporary and don't get renewed (even without having to formally have them stopped). If it's a TRO, after the time period is over, he will be free to go about his life as usual.

Jonathan

Good Citizen

Offical Transfer

The system , SPFLU is going to be looking for the gun's and for offical action to be taken either turn them in or offically transfer them! I'm suprised the local PD dident tell you to give them up considering they are still in his name, and if he was your good friend, you might give them back, and he goes and smokes his old lady they would be in big trouble then for not tying up the loose ends, ie dps transfer paperwork, or surrender!
Dont quote me i belive there is a 72 hour window for transfer! Every time i got hit & served tro, the pd took my stuff on the spot, inclunding my permit!

PD may come knockin on your door!

:banghead:anyone home!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ManInBlack

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a man can be deprived of a fundamental, natural, constitutionally-protected right based only on an allegation and without getting his day in court.

This is not directed at the OP; you need to do what you have to do to protect yourself legally. This is just an observation on our "justice" system and its gross overreaction to charges of DV.

Last edited:

erick212

Ok, today after i get out of work i will be meeting the owner of the pistol at the PD to do a paperwork transfer and get the pistol in my name. When the tro is done i will tranfer it back to him or if he is not able to get it back i will either buy it from him or sell it and give him the money. The police stopped by my house yesterday and asked my girlfriend if we were the neighbor that had the firearm, she said yes and asked if they wanted it... The officer said no, not at this point and took off. The owner of the pistol said that the police are going to do the transfer.. i didnt know that they could do that...

brk913

The owner of the pistol said that the police are going to do the transfer.. i didnt know that they could do that...

They probably just want to witness you do the paperwork and call for an authorization number, I doubt they will actually "do the transfer"....

KIX

They probably just want to witness you do the paperwork and call for an authorization number, I doubt they will actually "do the transfer"....

That's what I'm thinking.

I actually commend the officer in this case for doing a good job.

Curious, what town (if you don't mind). Always nice to know towns that do things proper!

Jonathan

erick212

It is in Bristol. The police in town seem to be pretty good about doing things the right way. How can i call for an auth # i dont have my FFL, i didnt know that i could do that. I can however bring it to Wolf's range or somewere if necessary.

KIX

No need, here you go:

Go to the DPS website (man, I hope we don't have to update our bookmarks since they are no longer called DPS!) and get form DPS-3-C:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-3-c.pdf

You and he will fill out this form together. Once the form is filled out, call the number on the form and get an authorization number.

After you have the authorization number, the firearm is transferred to you. The only thing you need to do now is drop off a copy of the DPS-3-C to the local PD and one to DPS and you're all set.

Not all that difficult really.

Hope this clears things up for ya,

Jonathan

KIX

DPS 67-C, as I understand it is if you purchase the firearm, not for a transfer.

I called DPS and spoke to someone before I wrote down what I did.......

That's what she said.

Jonathan

brk913

Transfering a firearm is the same as selling it, from the link above ( http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294488&dpsNav=| ):

Private Sale of Firearms

Pistols and Revolvers
Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy of the DPS-3 for their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety.

KIX

Again.... I can read that brother!

That link doesn't say that a transfer is the same as a sale.

the DPS-67-C is an application to purchase. As worded, on the document itself, would constitute a sale of the firearm.

DPS-3-C is a transfer so the state and local government know where the firearm is.

The OP stated that he was transferring first while a TRO expired and if it was renewed as a RO, then he was going to purchase.

Yes, DPS-3-C needs four copies. One for each party, one for the local authority of the person taking possession and one for the state.

I did verify with DPS.

Jonathan

KIX

For the original poster:

Look at the phone number on the DPS-3-C.

Call that number and ask the person on the other end, get a name and you'll be straight.

Jonathan

erick212

The transfer went smooth last night, paperwork filled out, auth # given, droped a copy off @ the PD and anither getting dropped off at DPS later today. Thank you all for the help and it was much smoother than i thought.

KIX

Good to know.

CT really isn't as bad as many other states when it comes to this side of things. We have a few other paperwork issues (like a shop keeping a log even longer than the feds require! - and a separate log at that).

Overall, not bad.

I have a firearms problem, I buy but never sell 'em!

I picked up a Bersa .40 for my mother and finally did the paperwork last month, took only a few minutes and went rather well.

Jonathan

brk913

Again.... I can read that brother!

That link doesn't say that a transfer is the same as a sale.

the DPS-67-C is an application to purchase. As worded, on the document itself, would constitute a sale of the firearm.

DPS-3-C is a transfer so the state and local government know where the firearm is.

The OP stated that he was transferring first while a TRO expired and if it was renewed as a RO, then he was going to purchase.

Yes, DPS-3-C needs four copies. One for each party, one for the local authority of the person taking possession and one for the state.

I did verify with DPS.

Jonathan

You are correct the link does not specifically state that a sale is the same as a transfer but it is. I don't know who you are relying on at DPS to give you the proper info but they are wrong. Private sale/transer is the same thing according to state statutes. In fact the DPS-67-C states the statute for reference on the document itself. See specifically 29-33 section C which calls for the DPS-67-C and section E which calls for the DPS-3-C:

(c) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver except upon written application on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Such person, firm or corporation shall insure that all questions on the application are answered properly prior to releasing the pistol or revolver and shall retain the application, which shall be attached to the federal sale or transfer document, for at least twenty years or until such vendor goes out of business. Such application shall be available for inspection during normal business hours by law enforcement officials. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made unless the person making the purchase or to whom the same is delivered or transferred is personally known to the person selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof or provides evidence of his identity in the form of a motor vehicle operator's license, identity card issued pursuant to section 1-1h or valid passport. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made until the person, firm or corporation making such transfer obtains an authorization number from the Commissioner of Public Safety. Said commissioner shall perform the national instant criminal background check and make a reasonable effort to determine whether there is any reason that would prohibit such applicant from possessing a pistol or revolver as provided in section 53a-217c. If the commissioner determines the existence of such a reason, the commissioner shall deny the sale and no pistol or revolver shall be sold, delivered or otherwise transferred by such person, firm or corporation to such applicant.

(e) Upon the sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver, the person making the purchase or to whom the same is delivered or transferred shall sign a receipt for such pistol or revolver which shall contain the name and address of such person, the date of sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number and a general description of such pistol or revolver, the identification number of such person's permit to carry pistols or revolvers, issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28, permit to sell at retail pistols or revolvers, issued pursuant to subsection (a) of said section, or eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver, issued pursuant to section 29-36f, if any, and the authorization number designated for the transfer by the Department of Public Safety. The person, firm or corporation selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof shall give one copy of the receipt to the person making the purchase of such pistol or revolver or to whom the same is delivered or transferred, shall retain one copy of the receipt for at least five years, and shall send, by first class mail, or electronically transmit, within forty-eight hours of such sale, delivery or other transfer, one copy of the receipt to the Commissioner of Public Safety and one copy of the receipt to the chief of police or, where there is no chief of police, the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, of the town in which the transferee resides.