• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Tenn for vacation, questiosn.

Oh Shoot

...the park camp store and office of the horse stables are both posted....

Yes, per federal law, government buildings in all national parks are still off limits. Apparently some parks are considered "buildings" in their entirety, like caves, since there are offices/shops whatever, inside them.

- OS

Last edited:

Gray Rider

Who you ask

A lady teacher from Stark Fl. was on the same horse ride as we. She told the registration consessionair she had a Florida CCW license and asked if she could carry her firearm on the trail. She was told "no".

I noticed my horse was not posted. So I told my horse I have a Florida CCW license and asked if he minded if I carried my firearm on the trail. He offered no objection as long as it remained concealed.

Fallguy

A lady teacher from Stark Fl. was on the same horse ride as we. She told the registration consessionair she had a Florida CCW license and asked if she could carry her firearm on the trail. She was told "no".

I noticed my horse was not posted. So I told my horse I have a Florida CCW license and asked if he minded if I carried my firearm on the trail. He offered no objection as long as it remained concealed.

From the stories I've heard 99.9% of the time if you ask if carry is ok, you will be told "No" regardless of the law.

That is why I try to know the law, look for postings (or the lack of) and keep my mouth shut.

OngoingFreedom

Great Thread

This is a very informative and professional thread. Thanks Sgt. Scott for your follow-ups.

I just returned from vacation in this area. Just an advance FYI to other visitors, the park camp store and office of the horse stables are both posted. I saw no postings in the stores or restaurants in town.

I also am very appreciative of the professional exchange here. Thank you gentlemen.

I work at the BNA airport on the GA (general aviation) side but frequently use the airlines. I find it curious that BNA seems to be the only airport in Tennessee that chooses to post as per 1359. Even Memphis doesn't. I think I know the story that probably got it started though.

I would greatly appreciate it if the signs came down. In the meantime I'll lawfully disarm as I enter the GA ramp.

SgtScott31

I'm still waiting on the ADA. He sent an email a couple of days ago informing he was researching the issue with another DA.

As far as the signs coming down, not going to happen. The Airport Authority doesn't want guns in the terminal or on their property at all.

Last edited:

hermannr

I'm still waiting on the ADA. He sent an email a couple of days ago informing he was researching the issue with another DA.

As far as the signs coming down, not going to happen. The Airport Authority doesn't want guns in the terminal or on their property at all.

That is interesting SgtScott. In WA we can carry up to the screeners...the airport has no say in the matter. As you know, TN can now carry in WA, so we like to check out the other state. Another difference is the signs; in WA, signs mean nothing, you have to be asked to leave, and then if you do not leave, that is when you are trespassing. Got to keep those things in mind if we ever get back to TN. Thanks.

SgtScott31

That is interesting SgtScott. In WA we can carry up to the screeners...the airport has no say in the matter. As you know, TN can now carry in WA, so we like to check out the other state. Another difference is the signs; in WA, signs mean nothing, you have to be asked to leave, and then if you do not leave, that is when you are trespassing. Got to keep those things in mind if we ever get back to TN. Thanks.

Interesting. Under the trespassing statute if there are signs posted and you enter property anyway, you can be arrested. If there are no signs, you have to be told to leave and refuse for arrest (as you mentioned in WA). If there is a fence or other means to keep people out, the court will also look upon that as the person should have known they were not allowed on the property. The firearms sign that we are talking about is posted on this thread (somewhere on page 1 I believe) referring to prohibiting weapons. Recently TN laws changed to allow gun permit holders to carry where alcohol is served. The owners of these establishments can opt out of that law by posting the sign similar to what we have at the airport. Some airports may be different as far as what they allow. I'm pretty sure Atlanta and a few others prohibit firearms anywhere in the terminal (unless transporting in luggage of course).

WCrawford

I have not been to BNA in a couple years, but the last time I was there, they were not in compliance with the law on posting (ie all public entrances) are they now in compliance?

Also, are the entrances to the property posted? If not, there is nothing that can be done (legally) to prohibit a person with a firearm picking up or dropping off another person.

Last edited:

SgtScott31

I have not been to BNA in a couple years, but the last time I was there, they were not in compliance with the law on posting (ie all public entrances) are they now in compliance?

Also, are the entrances to the property posted? If not, there is nothing that can be done (legally) to prohibit a person with a firearm picking up or dropping off another person.

They are on all of the entrances to the building (as far as I've seen) and every access point (i.e. gates) that leads onto airport property. When I say access points, I'm not referring to pulling into a parking lot or dropping someone off/picking up. As far as dropping off/picking up in a vehicle, there's nothing that is going to keep you from carrying in your vehicle or parking. With that said, if you plan on being in the 10 min pick-up area on the 2nd level and out of your vehicle with a weapon openly exposed, it may or may not lead to LEO interaction.

Last edited:

WCrawford

They are on all of the entrances to the building (as far as I've seen) and every access point (i.e. gates) that leads onto airport property. When I say access points, I'm not referring to pulling into a parking lot or dropping someone off/picking up. As far as dropping off/picking up in a vehicle, there's nothing that is going to keep you from carrying in your vehicle or parking. With that said, if you plan on being in the 10 min pick-up area on the 2nd level and out of your vehicle with a weapon openly exposed, it may or may not lead to LEO interaction.

In the hypothetical situation that a person was reported with an openly carried firearm in the parking lots or pick up/drop off areas (leg stretch, maybe?) what would your response be, in general; observation, consensual encounter, or detainment? And is that the response that is dictated by policy?

SgtScott31

In the hypothetical situation that a person was reported with an openly carried firearm in the parking lots or pick up/drop off areas (leg stretch, maybe?) what would your response be, in general; observation, consensual encounter, or detainment? And is that the response that is dictated by policy?

If I'm called to it, which wouldn't be unexpected on the drop off/pick up areas with the amount of people around, then I would likely strike up a conversation and ask to see your permit. If it involved the parking lots, I would probably observe for a bit then decide whether to approach or not. Of course this is me. Other officers may take a different approach. If it's a dispatched call then I would expect most of them to confirm you're carrying legally and leave it at that.

Edit to add: There's no policy on how we're supposed to handle someone with a firearm (with the exception of an active shooter).

Last edited:

Fallguy

Thanks for the update...

Fallguy

Airports themselves are not off-limits in TN. However ANY (private or public) property owner or the person in control of that property can post a sign(s) per T.C.A. 39-17-1359 that makes it illegal to carry past that sign on that property. The Airport Authority in Nashville has chosen to post these signs. AFAIK the Airport in Memphis has not and I haven't heard of any other major airports posting in TN.

In some states a "No Gun" sign doesn't carry any legal weight...in other words, you'd still have to be asked to leave and not before breaking the law, but in TN if the sign(s) conform to the requirements in 1359 then it is a crime to carry past them..on any property.

EDIT...I have read the airport in Knoxville is also posted.

Last edited:

SgtScott31

Any update?

Heck no. I sent him another email asking about an update on the matter. Still waiting on a response. I had grand jury a week or so ago and should have asked one of the ADAs there. I'm leaning towards sending another friendly "reminder" about it.

OngoingFreedom

The very nature of the GA side, joined with with the MNAA's no-carry policy and the fact that TN code does not prohibit carry in the non-sterile areas of an airport, is a recipe for an awkward encounter. A pilot or passenger who disembarks from a recently landed aircraft and is observed to be carrying by Airport Police is in legal No-Man's-Land. They have passed/observed no prohibit signs. An unhappy day for all, to be sure.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.387255,-86.429434

Fallguy

The very nature of the GA side, joined with with the MNAA's no-carry policy and the fact that TN code does not prohibit carry in the non-sterile areas of an airport, is a recipe for an awkward encounter. A pilot or passenger who disembarks from a recently landed aircraft and is observed to be carrying by Airport Police is in legal No-Man's-Land. They have passed/observed no prohibit signs. An unhappy day for all, to be sure.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.387255,-86.429434

I'm not sure what the rules are for armed pilots while in the airport, but I think they have to have it in a locked container. As long as they are abiding by the rules set forth by the FAA for armed pilots, I'm sure they would be of.

The only passengers I could see being armed on a flight are Air Marshalls or some other type of Law Enforcement authorized for that flight...I'm sure if they were authorized to carry on the flight, they would be authorized to carry in the airport.

OngoingFreedom

You're thinking of the airlines. On the GA side (general aviation) there are technically no rules for pilots or their passengers, under Part 91 flying, which covers non-revenue flying. I fly armed all the time.

Last edited:

Fallguy

You're thinking of the airlines. On the GA side (general aviation) there are technically no rules for pilots or their passengers, under Part 91 flying, which covers non-revenue flying. I fly armed all the time.

I understand... I just figured he was talking about the areas of the airport past the security station (concourses etc..) where passengers getting off airlines would be.

You don't normally go through those parts of the airport do you?