• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC Experience in Fletcher, NC

spiderjohn

Well, I got my new XD .45 compact yesterday and OC'd today. Took a quick trip to Lowe's on Airport Road in Fletcher and stopped on the way to pick up a drink at a convenience store. I was kind of nervous on the inside but maintained my outward composure. :) I kept thinking I was gonna hear "GUN!" or have someone hassle me. I was prepared for it (had knowledge and NC OC flyers) but am glad it didn't happen.

I just went straight and got what I need at Lowe's and headed to check out. I don't think anyone really noticed except for the checkout girl at Lowe's but she didn't say anything.

I did find out that wearing the XD in my Blackhawk Serpa (belt attachment) while driving was not comfortable at all. After Lowe's when I got in the car I unholstered and put it on the passenger seat. Gotta figure something out to remedy that. Gotta practice putting it back in the holster in the car.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, I got my new XD .45 compact yesterday and OC'd today. Took a quick trip to Lowe's on Airport Road in Fletcher and stopped on the way to pick up a drink at a convenience store. I was kind of nervous on the inside but maintained my outward composure. :) I just went straight and got what I need at Lowe's and headed to check out. I don't think anyone really noticed except for the checkout girl at Lowe's but she didn't say anything.

I did find out that wearing the XD in my Blackhawk Serpa (belt attachment) while driving was not comfortable at all. After Lowe's when I got in the car I unholstered and put it on the passenger seat. Gotta figure something out to remedy that. Gotta practice putting it back in the holster in the car.

Sounds like you had a great first day!! That is how carry should go!!! Try out the paddle attachment for the Serpa. I find it too be more comfortable as well as offering the same holster to belt/pants retention ability. If it is still uncomfortable, there are a bunch of other holster options out there.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I usually always unholster my gun as soon as I get in the car. I do it because it's rather uncomfortable to sit while having my gun holstered in my Serpa. Also, it's nice having your gun ready just in case you need it.

nobama

Since I shoot LH, I never have an issue in the vehicle. I just leave it on.

Mark McGuire

Way to go, I live in Candler and have yet to OC into any stores. I am trying but just haven't gotten there yet, but I will. Keep up the good work.

TFED12

There are male and female SERPA adapters. I used them to mount a SERPA in my truck on the console by the shifter. Works great. Easy access to my pistol and keeps it secure.

papa bear

greetings SPIDERJOHN. i spent the day at the GRNC table, at the gun show in Flecther. you have a great area . i had some conversations with some of the local LEOs and they seemed to have no problem with open carry. afterward i drove around for a while, stopping at fast food place and a couple of stores. didn't notice any negative reactions.

i too , leave mine on in the vehicle, i have no problem getting to it ,but then i only drive trucks.

if you haven't joined yet i would highly recommend joining the GRNC. the more members, the more of a voice we will have in Raleigh.

http://www.grnc.org/

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Well, I got my new XD .45 compact yesterday and OC'd today. Took a quick trip to Lowe's on Airport Road in Fletcher and stopped on the way to pick up a drink at a convenience store. I was kind of nervous on the inside but maintained my outward composure. :) I kept thinking I was gonna hear "GUN!" or have someone hassle me. I was prepared for it (had knowledge and NC OC flyers) but am glad it didn't happen.

I just went straight and got what I need at Lowe's and headed to check out. I don't think anyone really noticed except for the checkout girl at Lowe's but she didn't say anything.

I also use the Blackhawk Serpa for my XDm but I use the paddle. It is very well designed and my pants will rip before anyone is able to slide it off my hip without knowing exactly how to work it two handed.

I have found that in the car carrying right hand strong side draw is a little uncomfortable as the handle of the firearm presses into the seat. But if I change to cross-draw with a major forward cant for easy access there is no problem while driving. Also this makes the side-arm much more accessable while buckled in case I need to draw while seated.

Took some getting used too (i still prefer strong side draw) but you can see if that works for you.

Sent using tapatalk

brutus1776

spiderjohn
have no fear, i open carry in the asheville area and surrounding areas every day. surprisingly people seem to accept it. even went into earth fare in west asheville for the ultimate 'test' and no problems.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I realize some have mixed emotions about Fobus holsters and Blackhawk Serpa is the 'cool' way to go. I carry in a Fobus roto-holster with thumb break and find it quite comfortable and accessable in my S-10 pickup. It didn't take me long to get familiar and quick with that thumb break and as an added bonus it does a great job of keeping my jacket from covering my firearm in winter.

REDFIVE48

I oc in Fobus holsters also, have asked my friends to try gun grabs (unloaded of course) and they can't get them unless the pull at the right direction, which none ever do. Of course situational awareness is always high so nobody is getting nar my gun any way.

Carry on!

Sent from C-3PO (my Android) using Tapatalk Pro