• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hendersonville County Sherrif's website says "CCW permit"

spiderjohn

I was checking the Henderson County Sheriff's website in order to make an appointment for my CHP and noticed that they use the terminology of CCW permit and not CHP. The main webpage is here. . If you go to Questions/Information in the left hand side, it gives you a link to:

Carry Concealed Weapon Permit

From my understanding in NC it should be Concealed Handgun Permit...am I right? Just seems like they are using the wrong terminology. You would think those enforcing the law should know the correct terms!!! :uhoh:

Just wondering if I should correct them on it...

Obligatory OC content...while I'm going to be OC'ing mostly I want the ability to conceal as needed/wanted.

M

mattwestm

Yeah, they should definitely know better... CCW is a crime in NC. Only Missouri calls theirs a CCW and it's actually an endorsement on your driver's license. They could also reword "Carry Concealed Process" to something like "Obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit". I wish NC had a uniform process for obtaining a CHP so that no matter what county you live in, it's the same process everywhere.

I decided to apply for my permit for the same reason as you. It's nice to be able to carry concealed in the car and I won't have to worry about my jacket covering in the winter.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Almost every state has a different name for it...

Washington - Concealed Pistol License - CPL
Oregon - Concealed Handgun License - CHL
Utah - Concealed Firearm Permit - CFP
Pennsylvania - License to Carry Firearms - LTCF
Kentucky - Concealed Deadly Weapons License - CDWL
New Hampshire - Pistol/Revolver License

Dreamer

The back of my North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit (issued in Wake County) has "CCW Permit Authorized Signature" stamped directly under Donnie Harrison's signature.

That must be unique to Wake Co. I've seen Pitt Co permits and I have a Beaufort Co. permit, and they do not say that...

SovereignAxe

Almost every state has a different name for it...

Washington - Concealed Pistol License - CPL
Oregon - Concealed Handgun License - CHL
Utah - Concealed Firearm Permit - CFP
Pennsylvania - License to Carry Firearms - LTCF
Kentucky - Concealed Deadly Weapons License - CDWL
New Hampshire - Pistol/Revolver License

you forgot one:

Tennessee - Hangun Carry Permit - HCP

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Only Missouri calls theirs a CCW and it's actually an endorsement on your driver's license....

NV calls it a CCW in the abbreviation, though they spell out Concealed Firearms Permit. The actual card just says the latter. It's a good point because the card is only good for handguns. Knives are legal or not depending on the knife and regardless of the permit, and blackjacks or batons are illegal anyway.

AZkopper

In Arizona we just call it being armed.

For those who feel a need to give money to governments, so as to have a non-required card, it is called a Concealed Weapons Permit.

DCR

I like the broader terminology

In my state, one cannot carry a handgun, dirk, dagger, bowie knife, or other deadly or dangerous weapon on the highways or within the city limits without a permit. Our permit, accordingly, is referred to as a CWL (concealed weapons license).

Look at your state's concealed weapon statutes - do they use the same, or similar terminology? If so, it seems odd that a license/permit would be called a Concealed Handgun License, as the name implies one can only carry a handgun concealed, not dirks, daggers, bowie knives, or other deadly or dangerous weapons.

I'd say, don't rock the boat if it's called something that purports to be broader than just a concealed handgun licence!