• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever sell a gun 3rd party?

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone ever done this in WI? I've been digging around to find the laws, and I just can't seem to find anything.

As a third party, do I still need an FFL dealer?

Looking to get rid of one of my guns, and I have no idea how to go about doing it. Local dealers won't pay close to a 1/3 of what it's worth, so I'd prefer to go 3rd party

Passive101

I've sold guns 3rd party.

Check their ID to see if their a resident. Use common sense. I'd recommend a written contract and to write the buyer's name and maybe contact info on it. Keep it for a while or not. It's your call. I don't have any of it anymore.

Rule of thumb. Be armed during the transaction. Don't give a loaded gun to someone and don't have ammo readily available where they will be at during the transaction. Think of the Terminator gun store scene :)

Last edited:

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I've sold guns 3rd party.

Check their ID to see if their a resident. Use common sense. I'd recommend a written contract and to write the buyer's name and maybe contact info on it. Keep it for a while or not. It's your call. I don't have any of it anymore.

Rule of thumb. Be armed during the transaction. Don't give a loaded gun to someone and don't have ammo readily available where they will be at during the transaction. Think of the Terminator gun store scene :)

The gun store scene, hey? Love it.

I found the laws on 3rd party transactions, and it pretty much states no check or paperwork is required. Wasn't sure if anyone had a CYA policy in effect for this. I had planned on copying the original FFL paperwork and keeping a copy of the buyers drivers license with it for the rest of my life, just in case something ever came up, but wasn't sure if it was "enough"

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The gun store scene, hey? Love it.

I found the laws on 3rd party transactions, and it pretty much states no check or paperwork is required. Wasn't sure if anyone had a CYA policy in effect for this. I had planned on copying the original FFL paperwork and keeping a copy of the buyers drivers license with it for the rest of my life, just in case something ever came up, but wasn't sure if it was "enough"

I would recommend having some sort of bill of sale. One of the lawyers here in VA has written one here.

As far as I can tell it is not VA specific and can be used anywhere. This could be your CYA move.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Think of the Terminator gun store scene :)

[video=youtube;9vxK4kf4AqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxK4kf4AqA[/video]

You made me look this up as soon as I read this, I figured I'd share :)

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

WI goes by Federal law. You may either do a FTF transaction or even ship a firearm to any WI resident 18 years of age who is not a prohibited person (a 16 year old may possess a long gun but I would not sell a 16 year old a firearm directly unless they were related. As a private party you only have to be reasonably certain they are not prohibited from receiving the firearm. If it bothers you, simply have a FFL do the transfer for you.
You can list your firearm on Gunbroker and then ship the firearm to a FFL in or out of State and then the FFL will do the transfer. You simply get a copy of the FFL before you ship and you are all set.

Vandil

As a private party you only have to be reasonably certain they are not prohibited from receiving the firearm.

Wisconsin Circuit Court records are good spot to check if you have the persons name and age. I did call the local police department to verify the buyer of my G3 was not being sought on an active warrant. The cop on the phone didn't really want to help me until I mentioned it would put 20rnds right through his vest at 300yrds.

Suddenly he's Officer Helpful!

NakedOne

Wisconsin Circuit Court records are good spot to check if you have the persons name and age. I did call the local police department to verify the buyer of my G3 was not being sought on an active warrant. The cop on the phone didn't really want to help me until I mentioned it would put 20rnds right through his vest at 300yrds.

Suddenly he's Officer Helpful!

Ahhhh.....G3? :shocker: Heckler and Koch G3? Wouldnt that have the magical ATF paperwork involved to clear a buyer?

Another G3 I missed a chance at buying! :banghead:

H & K 91 maybe?

Vandil

Ahhhh.....G3? :shocker: Heckler and Koch G3? Wouldnt that have the magical ATF paperwork involved to clear a buyer?

Another G3 I missed a chance at buying! :banghead:

H & K 91 maybe?

It was one of Springfield Armory's over stamped EBO's.

Technically a SAR-3 but if you call it that people just scratch there head.

littlewolf

Has anyone ever done this in WI? I've been digging around to find the laws, and I just can't seem to find anything.

As a third party, do I still need an FFL dealer?

Looking to get rid of one of my guns, and I have no idea how to go about doing it. Local dealers won't pay close to a 1/3 of what it's worth, so I'd prefer to go 3rd party

Go with Gun Broker or I can sell or transfer it for you.

Last edited:

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I've got it listed on Armslist already, and a few other sites. Hesitant to put it on GunBroker at the moment (for reasons I can't really explain, simply because I don't have a good reason NOT to put it on there).

I'll let it ride on Armslist for a week or so, see if anyone takes interest. It's the Taurus with a Viridian laser sight

cleveland

I have bought and sold many guns that same way I have bought and sold many motorcycle parts... with a hand shake. The only time I get information is when I need the FFL's info that I am shipping it too. I have never had a problem.

Can you post a link to your listing?

cleveland

Would post it directly, but don't want to get yelled at by the mods for not following the rules.

Yes, they don't allow people to sell stuff. I don't think there is a rule against a member posting a random link to a neat find though. Speaking of neat finds, I found this 9mm on armslist recently:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/17887...s-247-pro-9mm-with-viridian-laser-and-holster

It's not mine and I have never meet the owner of this 9mm personally. I do wish them well though!