• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AGO Definition on RCW 9.41.060

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Download the PDF file here:http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=80

August 17, 2011

Bill Starks
M1gunr@gmail.com
RE: concealed / open carry RCW 9.41.060(8)

Dear Mr. Starks:
On behalf of the Department of Licensing, thank you for your email received August 6, 2011. I am responsible for firearm issues so your email was forwarded to me for response. In your request you asked for clarification regarding the definition of RCW 9.41.060(8) which is popularly known as the “hunting and fishing” exception to concealed carry requirements in Washington State. In your letter you ask if the exception in subsection 8 would apply if someone were to leave town to go hiking without a carry permit and carried concealed or had a loaded pistol in his or her vehicle.
The statute allows law enforcement latitude to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis. The scenario you portray could very well result in a finding of violation of the law. The case would turn on the credibility of the individual claiming the exception. The individual’s case would of course be stronger if he or she wore hiking gear and had hiking supplies, etc. The purpose of the law is to make personal protection available to outdoor enthusiasts, and not serve as an end run around the state’s regulation of firearms.
The Attorney General’s Office serves as a legal counsel to state agencies and certain elected officials and cannot, by law, provide legal advice to private citizens. It is, however, our policy to provide members of the public with information of a general nature whenever possible.

Sincerely,
SUSAN L. PIERINI
Assistant Attorney General

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
FYI - it looks like I have a "IN" to the AG's office for questions HOWEVER it's not something I can afford to abuse......

Last edited:

amlevin

Since this is a "hunting and fishing" exemption, then someone who is wearing tank top, shorts, and flip flops, as well as a concealed firearm, could just say they're going clam digging or fishing. Right? Is there any designated "uniform" for these activities?

onlurker

Since this is a "hunting and fishing" exemption, then someone who is wearing tank top, shorts, and flip flops, as well as a concealed firearm, could just say they're going clam digging or fishing. Right? Is there any designated "uniform" for these activities?

If one were to be pulled over and a concealed weapon without a permit was known, wouldn't that be RAS to have the driver pop the trunk? While the attire may not say "fishing," presumably their gear and required license would. I think that's what the email is intending on saying; even though you may or may not be dressed appropriately, as long as it is reasonably concluded that you're participating in said activities because you possess items that corroborates your story, you're therefore in compliance with state law.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If one were to be pulled over and a concealed weapon without a permit was known, wouldn't that be RAS to have the driver pop the trunk? While the attire may not say "fishing," presumably their gear and required license would. I think that's what the email is intending on saying; even though you may or may not be dressed appropriately, as long as it is reasonably concluded that you're participating in said activities because you possess items that corroborates your story, you're therefore in compliance with state law.

No, there is no RAS to pop the trunk. The LEO is not going to look for exculpatory evidence on evidence to convict. The driver may want to have the LEO open the trunk if it can confirm the outdoor activity.

I suggest you carry hiking gear in your trunk at all times, boots, maps, water bottle, etc....

Px4er

Last time I went hiking, it was with a pair of running shoes, shorts, and a t-shirt. I don't really do the boot, khakis, backpack, thing.