• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long gun carry should AB 144 pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As much as I think AB144 sucks this thread is against forum rules. :-( I don't think an exception is going to be made for CA.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Last edited:

oc4ever

the california forum will be only for dreamers if AB144

Looking into the future .......

If AB144 passes, this forum will be like the one from the State of Hawaii, no offense meant to the folks over there. Hawaiian citizens basically can't take any gun anywhere with very small exceptions. Read their state forum, it talks about the two or three people in the whole State that have CCW permits that are not in security, armored car or Law enforcement related. Some of my family lives in Hawaii, and gun ownership for honest people is a (bad)joke.

The California section of this forum will only be about "the good old days"prior to AB144, who is going to sue, waiting for this- that and the next court ruling, more waiting, and even more waiting for the courts to sort all the issues out one little piece at a time. So I am not going to discuss anything about then utilizing my Valtro 8 shot magazine feed shotgun that I can load almost as fast as a handgun, and is far more effective defensively, because this forum is not about long guns.

Just be prepared a whole lot of mad gun owners here that will take some steps to put "larger" guns in the face of the public very blatantly.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
A few things that I might try:

1) open carry shotgun,
2) carry shotgun concealed under trenchcoat,
3) permanently install gun rack in truck or some specialized "accessibility" rigs.

Won't have to worry about having to lock up when traveling through those gun free school zones.

When open carrying, do you use a scabbard or do you carry raw? If using a scabbard, do you customize with your own personalized 2A message?

Then there's the ammo holders. Are you a waist bandolier type of person or a chest bandolier type of person? What about a single chest bandolier versus double chest bandoliers? What about speed loaders for shotguns?

Hmmm...I wonder if the legislature realizes that it is starting a whole new gun sub-culture?

pullnshoot25

A few things that I might try:

1) open carry shotgun,
2) carry shotgun concealed under trenchcoat,
3) permanently install gun rack in truck or some specialized "accessibility" rigs.

Won't have to worry about having to lock up when traveling through those gun free school zones.

When open carrying, do you use a scabbard or do you carry raw? If using a scabbard, do you customize with your own personalized 2A message?

Then there's the ammo holders. Are you a waist bandolier type of person or a chest bandolier type of person? What about a single chest bandolier versus double chest bandoliers? What about speed loaders for shotguns?

Hmmm...I wonder if the legislature realizes that it is starting a whole new gun sub-culture?

If I carry a Sten, it will be a subgun culture.

Zing.

Save Our State

Won't have to worry about having to lock up when traveling through those gun free school zones

I think you still must have the long gun locked to the gun rack when going throught a school zone, but that's federal law. But it's not above Holder to charge you

As for the California section dropping off after 144........I'd say it's dropping off before 144. But with OC basically banned in CA if 144 passes, is signed, and becomes law.....There's not much need to come here save for nostalgia

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Have any of you forgotten? AB144 would only prohibit carrying unloaded weapons exposed. The law does not regulate loaded open carry. While this limits your ability to real self defense to unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited, it doesnt mean that this forum will be a complete ghost town.

If AB144 does get signed into law, I know where I will be and what I will be doing on January 1, 2012.

Last edited:

Save Our State

Have any of you forgotten? AB144 would only prohibit carrying unloaded weapons exposed. The law does not regulate loaded open carry. While this limits your ability to real self defense to unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited, it doesnt mean that this forum will be a complete ghost town.

If AB144 does get signed into law, I know where I will be and what I will be doing on January 1, 2012.

Well that begs the question:
If an open carrier exercises his right to LOC in California, does it make a sound anywhere else but there?
I don't know man; The miniscule amount of LOC availability coupled with the amount of persons who'd do it, and then multiplied by the people who'll be interested in reading about it = ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
:p

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Well that begs the question:
If an open carrier exercises his right to LOC in California, does it make a sound anywhere else but there?
I don't know man; The miniscule amount of LOC availability coupled with the amount of persons who'd do it, and then multiplied by the people who'll be interested in reading about it = ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
:p

I like the analogy you are invoking; "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Allow me to put this philosophical question on its ear... Does a tree fall in a forest to make a sound?

Back before the open carry movement had begun in California, the question wasnt whether or not OC would have an impact here. The question was how quickly would a person openly displaying a holstered pistol would be pressed to the dirt and incarcerated. Once that was disproven, the question became (to my dismay) just what number of person's open carrying in a group would instigate a response? We have that response; twice over, legislatively. Had that path not been taken, perhaps circumstances would be different today.

Geographically, open carry would still be legal in most of California in spite of the legislature's zealous and jealous efforts... not just for long arms but for loaded handguns. Just because we wont be able to carry in the heart of the cities in any number, doesnt mean that there is no impact or no interest. And even if there is, that isnt the sole purpose of partaking in these activities or writing about them.

So, is the tree falling to make a sound, or is it just being compelled by laws of physics, to do what it must?

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
In Kalifornia it totally unarms the law abiding gun owners......

Guess its time to fill in the CCW permit as we won't be allowed to carry handguns "Loaded Open Carry" which is good enough for the cops but not so the law abiding citizens. My AR and tactical shotguns are poised in readiness for open carrying .... .I can see the unarmed citizens of Kalifornia calling the PD when they see me shopping carrying those weapons instead of my holstered pistols!!!!! Oh and they are big, black, nasty looking too.....oh I forgot CCW's in San Diego county are only for special interests (personal acquantancies and financial supporters of Sheriff Gore so I'm lead to believe!!) .... so best make sure my tactical slings are in good order...as hand carrying my rifles would become such a drag ....oh and CCW of a pistol for the purpose of self defense of oneself and your family is not an allowed good cause allegedly! Oh I can't wait to see the repercussions if this idiotic law is passed .....mind you now I have re-read C3s above statement maybe we will be able to "carry unloaded weapons concealed"....so no CCW required? Wow that'll work but may slow down my making ready from two seconds to possibly three seconds better get an IWB holster for my various pistols .....now where did put my high capacity pre ban magazines .......

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
mind you now I have re-read C3s above statement maybe we will be able to "carry unloaded weapons concealed"....so no CCW required? Wow that'll work but may slow down my making ready from two seconds to possibly three seconds better get an IWB holster for my various pistols .....now where did put my high capacity pre ban magazines .......

Nowhere in that post does it promote doing anything like unlicensed (illegal) concealed carry. Im not sure how you got from 'A' to 'B" on that one. And one should certainly apply for and document any denial for a 12050 licence... particularly if you insist on carrying a weapon for protection.

mjones

If the proposed law did not outlaw loaded open carry, can someone come up with a map of California showing where one can legally open carry a loaded handgun?

Geographically, its somewhere between half and maybe two-thirds of CA.

I could somewhat easily throw together a map of all incorporated cities in CA - that would cover roughly 90% of the places that you cannot loaded open carry.

However there are other aspects of where one cannot carry loaded. One are county ordinances; typically these are things like county parks, but in some rare cases the entire county is a no-discharge and exceptions are made to allow (Los Angeles County for example) Then of course there are the dreaded Gun Free School Zones which make it illegal to carry at all within 1000' of a K-12 school. National Parks and Wildlife Reserves are also likely 'no discharge zones' but the definitive answer on that isn't settled yet. State Parks are generally a no-go as well. Military Bases cover a reasonable amount of territory as well - general civilian LOC would be a no-go there as well.

So, although I can whip up a map of incorporated vs unincorporated territory, I think it would be a disservice to not include at least the large no-LOC zones suchas National Parks, State Parks and Military Bases.

donny

If long gun OC replaces handgun UOC in Ca the results will be predictable. Not that it'll matter to those who didn't learn the first time around...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
If long gun OC replaces handgun UOC in Ca the results will be predictable. Not that it'll matter to those who didn't learn the first time around...

Kreskin awakened.

I can predict what your prediction is, but whether either of us is correct or not remains to be seen. What, pray tell, is the thing unlearned that ought not require a repeat lesson?

Please tell me that the lesson was to stop the carry of exposed arms and the result was a ban... And if your powers of clairvoyance would see a ban on exposed long guns in our future for the exact same cause. Then reconcile that with the authors specific intent to only target unloaded handguns in AB144, when it was well within their grasp to ban all forms of exposed firearms with the same legislation. Why wasn't LOC targeted as well?

The secret is, that Portantino and his kind attempting a wholesale ban on all exposed arms would be nothing less than Quixotic, even in California. How many sportsmen and hunters would this sort of ban enflame? While sniping open carriers is easy for their few numbers, carpet bombing California sportsmen without collateral damage is hard.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As much as I think AB144 sucks this thread is against forum rules. :-( I don't think an exception is going to be made for CA.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

You're right. Forum rules apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.