• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another reason to love Starbucks

protias

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/16/new...ycott_washington/index.htm?cnn=yes&hpt=hp_bn4

During the 2008 election cycle, more than $5.2 billion was spent by candidates, political parties and interest groups, according to data compiled by the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/13/opinion/nocera-boycott-campaign-donations.html?_r=2

He is basically asking other big name CEO's to stop any and all campaign contributions for all political figures until something is done about the debt. I like his thinking!
biggrin.gif

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/opinion/starbucks.pdf

Beretta92FSLady

I have been reading about this...over a Starbucks brew. I think the business community needs to take part in forcing the hands of this cluster-F-k political situation here.

protias

I have been reading about this...over a Starbucks brew. I think the business community needs to take part in forcing the hands of this cluster-F-k political situation here.

Especially since so many do not seem to be listening to we the people. :cuss:

Beretta92FSLady

Especially since so many do not seem to be listening to we the people. :cuss:

They should listen to the people, I agree:

"According to the poll, 63 percent say the super committee should call for increased taxes on higher-income Americans and businesses, with 36 percent disagreeing. And by a 57 to 40 percent margin they say the committee's deficit reduction proposal should include major cuts in domestic spending."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-increase-for-wealthy-and-deep-spending-cuts/

Republicans appear to be more on the wrong side of the American people, considering, Democrats have compromised for domestic cuts, and yet the Republicans insist - at their political peril - that the rich not pay more in taxes. Republicans are playing political roulette (with a semi-auto), and they are going to blow their political heads off, mark my words.

Last edited:

DevinWKuska

They should listen to the people, I agree:

"According to the poll, 63 percent say the super committee should call for increased taxes on higher-income Americans and businesses, with 36 percent disagreeing. And by a 57 to 40 percent margin they say the committee's deficit reduction proposal should include major cuts in domestic spending."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-increase-for-wealthy-and-deep-spending-cuts/

Republicans appear to be more on the wrong side of the American people, considering, Democrats have compromised for domestic cuts, and yet the Republicans insist - at their political peril - that the rich not pay more in taxes. Republicans are playing political roulette (with a semi-auto), and they are going to blow their political heads off, mark my words.

THe problem is not so much the republicans! You see. The margin between the rich and the poor is growing daily. The middle class is almost completely non existant. You cant really tax the poor to fund programs because the the poor cant afford any more taxes. You cant start taxing the rich more because they pay for all of our salaries. Lets face it... there isnt a company out there who isnt ready to move Overseas should tax benefits run out.

A great example is Boeing. The City of renton gave them tax cuts to create a plant in their area to provide jobs to the locals. At one point a few years ago the city of Renton told Boeing they were considering halting the tax benefits. Boeing replied by stating if their tax benefits were halted they would abandon the plant. Renton tried to call their bluff by halting their taxbenefits thus Boeing abandoned the plant within a 2 month period.

eye95

Ever since the Supreme Court wrongly ruled corporations have the same rights to government access as The People, our voice has largely been drowned out.

Cite?

It is easy to demonstrate that corporations are not recognized has having the same rights as people: They cannot vote.

However, as corporations are made up of people and act on behalf of people, restricting their right to speak, even in the form of choosing which candidates to support with cash, would be restricting the right of speech for those underlying people. (I assume that this the ruling that you are lamenting and misrepresenting.)

The ruling was a step in the right direction. All should be allowed to give whatever they want to whomever they want--with full disclosure being required. The only restriction I could think of that would be reasonable--and not a violation of the 1A--would be restricting organizations that requires dues (under force of law) from their membership using that money in any way that the membership has not specifically approved. Every individual should be able to opt out, getting their share of any repugnant contributions refunded to them in cash. To do otherwise actually infringes on their speech, forcing them to share the burden of contributions against their will under force of law.