• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A new member

BROKENSPROKET

With his gun in holster on his left side, he didn't even attract attention from my line of sight. Did you visit the fair too? If so did the deputies make contact with you?

Your left, my right.

I don't think I got a reaction from anybody.

I walked past 3 deputies when I came in the North entrance. And if they did not see me, I walked past and stood across from thier booth several times. The other OC'er was hanging out at the EMS booth for awhile and not a word to either of us.

That is the way at the Trepealeau County Fair as well.

Barron County Fair, I barely got in the gate and within minutes, I had several deputies all around me.

Law abider

Hi Law Abider; welcome to the forum!

You've got it right about statutes "purposely designed to discourage us from fulfilling our right to keep and bear arms". Although we do have a state preemption law that stops municipalities from enacting laws more stringent than state statutes.
Anyhow this statute from the city of Ellsworthis void as far as carrying a loaded firearm, but you still can't legally discharge it within city limits under the state preemption law. You may get an argument from law enforcement, but it is true. In fact one of the positive things you can do for the RKBA population of Wisconsin is to get your village board to change the ordnance to reflect what is actually legal.

As far as picking out a gun, my advice is to handle and, if possible, fire as many different makes and models as you can. The fit in your hand, the amount of recoil you can tolerate, whether or not you will be Open or Concealed carrying, and how willing you are to learn your weapon and practice with it all have a bearing on what you might adopt as your personal protection. You are in the right place to learn about carrying a gun but you will have to ask the right questions and search some of the old threads to find your answers, as well as get hands-on background. Like any other community, you will find that the quality of information varies widely; you will have to separate the wheat from the chaff as us geezers say.... :D

So you mean Ellsworth is violating state law?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Violating State Law? We Need What Florida Just Passed!

I wish we had thought of this when we were fighting so hard for open carry and the new concealed carry law. Florida just passed a law that carries a $5,000 fine for violating Florida's 1987 firearm preemption law. We should have done the same when the steam roller was moving fast and hard:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gun...aw-will-soon-end-local-firearms-restrictions/

BROKENSPROKET

I wish we had thought of this when we were fighting so hard for open carry and the new concealed carry law. Florida just passed a law that carries a $5,000 fine for violating Florida's 1987 firearm preemption law. We should have done the same when the steam roller was moving fast and hard:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gun...aw-will-soon-end-local-firearms-restrictions/

I think that steamroller was as heavy as we could get her. Time to start planning on loading up the next steam roller.

BROKENSPROKET

Under WI Statute 66.0409, Yes. But the law has no peanalties, or may we say teeth. So, for the most part, that ordinance is unenforceable. The discharge of a firearm is still enforceable, except when the discharge was justified for self-defense.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Site please.

You're familiar with the case law.

It's CITE darn it! :p:lol:

Trip, it's a forum rule: (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

The rule sometimes gets ignored a little between people who know what they are discussing but it's especially important to cite for a new member.

State v. Walls

There, Cited....:D

Trip20

It's CITE darn it! :p:lol:

Trip, it's a forum rule: (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

The rule sometimes gets ignored a little between people who know what they are discussing but it's especially important to cite for a new member.

State v. Walls

There, Cited....:D

Thanks for citing the case law. I agree definitely good to cite for new eyes on the topic. I exonerate myself from breaking the rule based on the "as best you can" clause of said rule. I couldn't remember the case name, thus I did "as best I could".

:monkey

Last edited:

Law abider

Barron county fair

Your left, my right.

I don't think I got a reaction from anybody.

I walked past 3 deputies when I came in the North entrance. And if they did not see me, I walked past and stood across from thier booth several times. The other OC'er was hanging out at the EMS booth for awhile and not a word to either of us.

That is the way at the Trepealeau County Fair as well.

Barron County Fair, I barely got in the gate and within minutes, I had several deputies all around me.

And then you showed them the right to open carry statutes. They argued due to ignorance. Wanted to detain you.. but the overwhelming evidence from the state statutes convinced them that they were on the wrong side of the law. Right?

paul@paul-fisher.com

And then you showed them the right to open carry statutes. They argued due to ignorance. Wanted to detain you.. but the overwhelming evidence from the state statutes convinced them that they were on the wrong side of the law. Right?

Just to pick a nit, there is no 'right to open carry statutes'. Statutes usually tell you what you CAN'T do. If it's not prohibited, it's allowed.

hermannr

Law abider: On gun selection,,,there are several available that are convertable to .22 (semi-autos) where you could practice inexpensively (and a bit less noise) and still carry something heavier for SD in the same weapon. I am a very strong proponent of using a .22 to practice with...both for the expense and that no-one flinches with a .22. Also, consider if you will purchase one sidearm, or more. If you are planning on purchasing more than one, make sure one is a .22.

For the caliber/weapon you will carry...try as many as you possibly can, the choose one that fits your hand, that you can fire comfortably, and meets your needs as whether you plan on to OC or CC.

Except in winter, I only have one I could even consider CC with, the rest are full size, and yes, even the big boys could be concealed under a winter coat, but definately not in summer. My wheel guns are very old Colt's and Smith's, (.38's), my autos are High Standard (.22) and CZ (7.62X25, 9X18 Mak and 9mm) All work very well. Remember, you do not need to purchase new, None of my pistols was purchased new. My 1926 Colt Officers Model was purchased new in 1927, and then has been handed down, never sold, but other than that, every pistol I own was purchased used by me. All depends on personal preference.

The best gun for you is the one you can handle comfortably and shoot most accurately. Doesn't matter if it is a 380 (or even a 22) or a 460 Rowland. If the bullets don't go where you want them to, the gun is not a very good one for you.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Look for ranges in your area. A lot of gun shops will have indoor/outdoor ranges with weapons that you can "rent". One of the places in SE WI charge $15 for the range per hour, $9 for the gun rental (one hour of rental, as many different guns as you want), and the cost of ammo. For around $50 you can shoot about 10 different types of guns.

Will probably get yelled at for posting this, but........ At this range I found out that a Glock just wasn't for me. Glocks are an excellent platform, and plenty of people recommend them. But having the experience to shoot one I learned that it wasn't for me. So I chose the Taurus 24/7 because it was well suited to my shooting techniques. Later on down the road, I also picked up an XDM for concealed carry.

What works well for the masses won't always work well for you. So definitely try to shoot some guns before you buy one. I know there is a range up around the Twin Cities that has an indoor range, and the owner rents out everything from a .22 up to a .50 BMG Bushmaster. I will try to find the name of the place for you. I've got family up there that took me in once, but can't for the life of me remember the name.......

And yes, I rented the .50 for a few shots. At $5 a pop, it was still a blast to shoot!!!!