Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: How much alcohol is too much when you open carry?

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    How much alcohol is too much when you open carry?

    http://www.military.com/news/article...ESRC=army-a.nl
    Cop Gets 15 Years in Marine Vet's Shooting Death

    It just so happens this shooter was a LEO. How much alcohol is too much??

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886
    I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)

  3. #3
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)
    Sorry, outta Flame because I give it a big +1!
    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    I'd also have to agree. Yes, some people hold their alcohol well and function unimpaired, but why take the chance?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member skyisfalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    birch bay , washington
    Posts
    140
    Carrying a side arm is alot like driving a car.
    Lots of rules and regulations.
    Liability and responsibility.
    And a learning curve.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ghosthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MOUNT VERNON, Washington, USA
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)
    Excellent!!!!!

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    I mostly agree with you G20-IWB24/7 but I know once in a while I will have 1 beer with lunch or dinner which is seldom but no more for me.

    I am as well waiting for the flames

    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Responsibility

    I have no problem with someone who has a single drink with their food while carrying. I am not going to limit an unalienable right because someone enjoys an alcoholic beverage. My personal limit for driving after having a drink is one per hour with a maximum of 4 drinks in that 4 hour period. At my weight there is no effect (0.013). CALCULATOR.

    W
    hen I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.
    Live Free or Die!

  9. #9
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Morally. 0.

    I don't want any impairment, however slight or imperceptible.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    82
    I would have to say after a couple 40's, you might have to reconsider carrying your weapon.

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)
    Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    Sorry, outta Flame because I give it a big +1!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I'd also have to agree. Yes, some people hold their alcohol well and function unimpaired, but why take the chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Excellent!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Morally. 0.

    I don't want any impairment, however slight or imperceptible.
    Me too, my firearm gets locked up in the safe before I have a drink.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Cool 100 Bottles of beer on the wall!

    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I have no problem with someone who has a single drink with their food while carrying. I am not going to limit an unalienable right because someone enjoys an alcoholic beverage. My personal limit for driving after having a drink is one per hour with a maximum of 4 drinks in that 4 hour period. At my weight there is no effect (0.013). CALCULATOR.

    W
    hen I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.
    I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. And when I go out to eat I normally have a beer (one) or a glass of wine with my meal. If I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be having a couple of drinks (unusual for me) I wouldn't carry at all.

    Although I suppose I, like all who OC, am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I have no problem with someone who has a single drink with their food while carrying. I am not going to limit an unalienable right because someone enjoys an alcoholic beverage. My personal limit for driving after having a drink is one per hour with a maximum of 4 drinks in that 4 hour period. At my weight there is no effect (0.013). CALCULATOR.

    W
    hen I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.
    I don't think anyone here would support legislation to deny someone the right to carry 'even during/immediately following any alcoholic beverage(s),' but since we are having the discussion, my experience tells me that their is more than just weight and age that can affect BAC level. Underlying (known or unknown) medical conditions, prescription or OTC medications being taken, and a slew of other factors will combine to determine the level of impairment. Also, keep in mind that impairment is a subjective term, though BAC is an objective statistic. Some people who have a .01 will already be losing fine tactile motor skills and be experiencing mental impairment, while others who may have a .10 have no loss of "function."

    I do like what Nick brings up about being ambassadors to the OC cause, and I think this is just as important a point that should be considered with this subject while we interact with the public.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001
    I keep my drinking (of any amount) at home, or at a very close friend's house where I will remain for a while. NEVER while out in public and carrying, whether open or concealed. On the very rare occurrence that I'm going to the bar with friends, I leave it at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    387
    My personal choice, I would have A beer with food while OC'ing but no more than that. I agree you should not be impared while carrying. With that said, I would not vote to penalize drinking while carrying. I would prefer to see it handled much like driving, only illegal once you are intoxicated.

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. And when I go out to eat I normally have a beer (one) or a glass of wine with my meal. If I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be having a couple of drinks (unusual for me) I wouldn't carry at all.

    Although I suppose I, like all who OC, am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.
    I agree +1.

    If we have a meet or lunch I'll have a beer with my meal. It is part of "normalizing" OC.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    A drink or so might not be a problem for most. I believe the issue will raise itself if someone carrying a firearm, concealed or open, becomes involved in an incident where the firearm is used. While small amounts of alcohol having been consumed may not bring prosecution, it's fairly safe to suggest it could bring Civil Action by the other party or his heirs.

    Why take the chance? I enjoy my occasional drink just like many others. I just choose not to mix it with driving or carrying a firearm in public.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. ...........Although I suppose I, like all who OC,I am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.
    Yes we are all ambassadors, but most of all I want to appear " as an average citizen just living his life."

  19. #19
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    When I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.
    Same here... IF I have a drink, it's only when I CC and it's never more than one.

  20. #20
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    We carry for self-defense, right? So, if we carry for self-defense, and we say that we don't drink while carrying because it reduces our situational awareness and slows down our body's physiological ability to act, then I must ask, what difference does carrying the firearm or not make? Don't those factors affect our self-defense ability regardless of if we have a firearm or not? So, if we are going to state that as a reason to lock up our guns when we are going to have A drink, then wouldn't the same reasoning apply to not having A drink anywhere?
    I don't go to bars at all.

    I don't drink in public.

    I drink @ home. Problem solved.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539
    Perception, people, perception. Let's say, for argument's sake that you had to engage a person at the resturaunt using deadly force. The police arrive and found you to be in compliance with the law given the circumstances. However, after all their field interviews it was found that several other patrons stated that you had "a couple of beers"...WHAM! The media gets ahold of it, then it goes from "a couple of beers" to "he was seen stumbling" to "he was slurring his speech right before he shot the guy!" Then "new laws" will be demanded, blah, blah , blah...Do you see where this is going?

  22. #22
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Same here... IF I have a drink, it's only when I CC and it's never more than one.
    I only had 2 beers before I shot him, I swear occifer!

  23. #23
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    We carry for self-defense, right? So, if we carry for self-defense, and we say that we don't drink while carrying because it reduces our situational awareness and slows down our body's physiological ability to act, then I must ask, what difference does carrying the firearm or not make? Don't those factors affect our self-defense ability regardless of if we have a firearm or not? So, if we are going to state that as a reason to lock up our guns when we are going to have A drink, then wouldn't the same reasoning apply to not having A drink anywhere?

    We carry our guns at 6:00 pm at night to the local restaurant because crime can happen anywhere at any time, but yet some of us say, "If I am going to have a beer, I'm going to lock my gun up because alcohol and guns don't mix." Well, if we are that concerned about not being able to defend ourselves with our guns because of one or two beers with dinner, than shouldn't we apply that same concern to being able to defend ourselves without our guns because of those same one or two beers with dinner?

    I don't lock my car keys up when I have a few beers in an evening because I know that no matter how much I have to drink, I am NOT going to drive. I don't understand why there has to be a different standard for guns than car keys. If you don't have enough self control to leave your gun in the holster when having a few beers, than maybe a person might want to examine whether they have enough self control to have a few beers at all. And if I am so worried about being able to defend myself with my gun that I feel the need to lock it up...and if I carry for self defense...than maybe that person should consider why they are giving up their ability to defend themselves to have those few drinks.
    +1
    It all comes down to self control. If you don't have it, you shouldn't be carrying.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    We carry for self-defense, right? So, if we carry for self-defense, and we say that we don't drink while carrying because it reduces our situational awareness and slows down our body's physiological ability to act, then I must ask, what difference does carrying the firearm or not make? Don't those factors affect our self-defense ability regardless of if we have a firearm or not? So, if we are going to state that as a reason to lock up our guns when we are going to have A drink, then wouldn't the same reasoning apply to not having A drink anywhere?

    We carry our guns at 6:00 pm at night to the local restaurant because crime can happen anywhere at any time, but yet some of us say, "If I am going to have a beer, I'm going to lock my gun up because alcohol and guns don't mix." Well, if we are that concerned about not being able to defend ourselves with our guns because of one or two beers with dinner, than shouldn't we apply that same concern to being able to defend ourselves without our guns because of those same one or two beers with dinner?

    I don't lock my car keys up when I have a few beers in an evening because I know that no matter how much I have to drink, I am NOT going to drive. I don't understand why there has to be a different standard for guns than car keys. If you don't have enough self control to leave your gun in the holster when having a few beers, than maybe a person might want to examine whether they have enough self control to have a few beers at all. And if I am so worried about being able to defend myself with my gun that I feel the need to lock it up...and if I carry for self defense...than maybe that person should consider why they are giving up their ability to defend themselves to have those few drinks.
    +1 Well said Lieutenant Commander.

    I also agree with Gogo's ambassador statement.

    I will have one beer,drink,glass of wine when CCing but not when OCing. 1 drink is not going to impare the vast majority of people even if you are involved in a shooting,God forbid, a single drink is not going to put you in much if any legal jeopardy.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    I only had 2 beers before I shot him, I swear occifer!
    Why would you say anything to a cop after a defensive shooting much less I only had 2 beers???????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •