• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How much alcohol is too much when you open carry?

G20-IWB24/7

I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)

massivedesign

I'll get flamed for this, but I think "any" is the correct answer in my opinion. (Of course, I'm one of those people who simply don't drink, so I'm not giving up anything by following my own opinion.) Alcohol is a depressant and slows the processes of the brain and body. Given a defensive situation----which can happen at a moment's notice, or even just simple retention and situational awareness while OCing, why would someone purposely and voluntarily SLOW their body's physiological ability to act? Even "just a little bit." (Let the flames begin.)

Sorry, outta Flame because I give it a big +1!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'd also have to agree. Yes, some people hold their alcohol well and function unimpaired, but why take the chance?

ghosthunter

Excellent!!!!!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I mostly agree with you G20-IWB24/7 but I know once in a while I will have 1 beer with lunch or dinner which is seldom but no more for me.

I am as well waiting for the flames

Animated_fireman_hose1.gif

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Responsibility

I have no problem with someone who has a single drink with their food while carrying. I am not going to limit an unalienable right because someone enjoys an alcoholic beverage. My personal limit for driving after having a drink is one per hour with a maximum of 4 drinks in that 4 hour period. At my weight there is no effect (0.013). CALCULATOR.

W
hen I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.

amzbrady

Sorry, outta Flame because I give it a big +1!

I'd also have to agree. Yes, some people hold their alcohol well and function unimpaired, but why take the chance?

Excellent!!!!!

Morally. 0.

I don't want any impairment, however slight or imperceptible.

Me too, my firearm gets locked up in the safe before I have a drink.

ARADCOM

100 Bottles of beer on the wall!

I have no problem with someone who has a single drink with their food while carrying. I am not going to limit an unalienable right because someone enjoys an alcoholic beverage. My personal limit for driving after having a drink is one per hour with a maximum of 4 drinks in that 4 hour period. At my weight there is no effect (0.013). CALCULATOR.

W
hen I open carry I do not drink at all. I realize that I am an ambassador to Open Carry and that I must be on my best behavior.

I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. And when I go out to eat I normally have a beer (one) or a glass of wine with my meal. If I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be having a couple of drinks (unusual for me) I wouldn't carry at all.

Although I suppose I, like all who OC, am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.

G20-IWB24/7

W

I don't think anyone here would support legislation to deny someone the right to carry 'even during/immediately following any alcoholic beverage(s),' but since we are having the discussion, my experience tells me that their is more than just weight and age that can affect BAC level. Underlying (known or unknown) medical conditions, prescription or OTC medications being taken, and a slew of other factors will combine to determine the level of impairment. Also, keep in mind that impairment is a subjective term, though BAC is an objective statistic. Some people who have a .01 will already be losing fine tactile motor skills and be experiencing mental impairment, while others who may have a .10 have no loss of "function."

I do like what Nick brings up about being ambassadors to the OC cause, and I think this is just as important a point that should be considered with this subject while we interact with the public.

.45ACPaddy

I keep my drinking (of any amount) at home, or at a very close friend's house where I will remain for a while. NEVER while out in public and carrying, whether open or concealed. On the very rare occurrence that I'm going to the bar with friends, I leave it at home.

Jayd1981

My personal choice, I would have A beer with food while OC'ing but no more than that. I agree you should not be impared while carrying. With that said, I would not vote to penalize drinking while carrying. I would prefer to see it handled much like driving, only illegal once you are intoxicated.

sudden valley gunner

I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. And when I go out to eat I normally have a beer (one) or a glass of wine with my meal. If I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be having a couple of drinks (unusual for me) I wouldn't carry at all.

Although I suppose I, like all who OC, am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.

I agree +1.

If we have a meet or lunch I'll have a beer with my meal. It is part of "normalizing" OC.

amlevin

A drink or so might not be a problem for most. I believe the issue will raise itself if someone carrying a firearm, concealed or open, becomes involved in an incident where the firearm is used. While small amounts of alcohol having been consumed may not bring prosecution, it's fairly safe to suggest it could bring Civil Action by the other party or his heirs.

Why take the chance? I enjoy my occasional drink just like many others. I just choose not to mix it with driving or carrying a firearm in public.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I open carry as part of my NORMAL life. ...........Although I suppose I, like all who OC,I am an 'ambassador', I prefer to think of myself as a average citizen just living his life.

Yes we are all ambassadors, but most of all I want to appear " as an average citizen just living his life."

TechnoWeenie

We carry for self-defense, right? So, if we carry for self-defense, and we say that we don't drink while carrying because it reduces our situational awareness and slows down our body's physiological ability to act, then I must ask, what difference does carrying the firearm or not make? Don't those factors affect our self-defense ability regardless of if we have a firearm or not? So, if we are going to state that as a reason to lock up our guns when we are going to have A drink, then wouldn't the same reasoning apply to not having A drink anywhere?

I don't go to bars at all.

I don't drink in public.

I drink @ home. Problem solved.