Thread: City of Brookfield writing of CCW ban in municipal buildings

City of Brookfield writing of CCW ban in municipal buildings

Quote Originally Posted by musky1011 View Post
    Not a repost. Thanks for the link.

"If you think you're going to create a safe environment by (posting a sign), you're crazy," Owen said. "A criminal isn't going to go, 'Oh! I'm not going to do that.'" - Ald. Rick Owen
    It is good to see he is at least fighting against this ban and that he understand criminals don't obey the law.

But they already are banned from police departments and municipal courts.
    Wrong! If given permission from a judge, you can carry in the court.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

WTF. They can post all the signs they want, but it would be illegal for them to pass an ordinance.

I am really tempted to open carry and walk right into one of the buildings and let them arrest me and if the charge me with the ordinance, sue thier ass.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Not a repost. Thanks for the link.

It is good to see he is at least fighting against this ban and that he understand criminals don't obey the law.

Wrong! If given written permission from a judge, you can carry in the court.

Well, now I know of some alderman who will not be re-elected next time around.

On an interesting note: It does not specify WHICH judge, or even what district the judge has to be in, in order to give you written permission. To me that means that you can gt written permission from ANY judge to carry in ANY courthouse/courtroom. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Langer View Post
    On an interesting note: It does not specify WHICH judge, or even what district the judge has to be in, in order to give you written permission. To me that means that you can gt written permission from ANY judge to carry in ANY courthouse/courtroom. Bwahahahahaha!!!
    Like Rock County Judge Kenneth Forbeck?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Langer View Post
    I went and read it again, and you are right, it is wide open to interpretation. But I am pretty sure and Appellate or Supreme Court would rule that a judge can only give written permission to those entering thier own courtroom. The judge could put restrictions on the permission like which date and times permission is granted or which cases, etc... Since no immunity is granted them if the give permission, I think they would be very conservative with that ability. There might be a judge that will give permission to anyone with a CWL for the length of his term.

"Aldermen asked staff to draft an ordinance banning firearms from being carried openly or concealed into city buildings."
    I hope their signs only reference their own ordinance.
    (See pg. 18 of the PDF of the law, 943.13 (2)(bm)1: "...a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2...")
    Might create enough ambiguity that the first person charged would get them to re-do their signs.
    Maybe not.

Even in Milwaukee I'm planning to vote absentee from now on, since my polling place is a school & the alternate (early) polling place is a city building that I expect will be posted. Will make interacting with city employees more difficult (phone, email, letter) or dangerous (in person, in a criminal-friendly zone).

"City Human Resources Director James Zwerlein said city department heads favored a ban and accompanying signage."
    I don't give a flying you-know-what (and how is that done, anyway?) about what these civil servants, these public employees, want. My right to self-defense is not theirs to decide.
    For that matter, any alderman who votes for that bad city ordinance should be unelected.
    Recalled, even.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Might create enough ambiguity that the first person charged would get them to re-do their signs.
    Ahh, ambiguity, the grease that keeps lawyers from squeaking.... <--- Lawyer
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.