• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification on parks policys

fire suppressor

I was hoping you all could help me out with a question, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in regards to national parks. I know or was under the impression a few years ago firearms where restricted in national parks but thought that got over turned a year or two ago. Anyone know the answer to that? I believe there are no longer any restrictions for local parks/ beaches or national parks but want to see it in writing

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I was hoping you all could help me out with a question, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in regards to national parks. I know or was under the impression a few years ago firearms where restricted in national parks but thought that got over turned a year or two ago. Anyone know the answer to that? I believe there are no longer any restrictions for local parks/ beaches or national parks but want to see it in writing

National parks follow state law now. When I get to work I can dig a cite for you, if someone else has not done so already.

I visited mt rainer national park a few weeks ago with no issue other than they had signs posted still. I emailed the chief ranger and they are suppose to be fully replaced with new signs this fall, until then I asked them to tape them which he replied with affirm.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
People who can legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state. The new law (Sec. 512 of P.L. 111-24)

Additionally, information posted on nps.gov.

nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

jt59

Keep in mind that properties managed by the Corps of Engineers have claimed exemption from being covered under this law change. So carry on those properties may be restricted.

We had a link on this a little while back along with some legislation to correct it, that was being introduced in the House. Don't know quite where that ended up.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Keep in mind that properties managed by the Corps of Engineers have claimed exemption from being covered under this law change. So carry on those properties may be restricted.

We had a link on this a little while back along with some legislation to correct it, that was being introduced in the House. Don't know quite where that ended up.

That would likely be this thread.

And H.R. 1865 THE RECREATIONAL LANDS SELF-DEFENSE ACT. (Artical)

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Thanks everyone im guessing beaches and oceans are fine too? Not sure what they classify under

I believe Beach (Driving) and Ocean (Boating) are considered a highway... I don't have a cite just going off what I think I remember, take it as you will. If your on foot then its just public land unless otherwise posted or known.

Last edited:

kenzmad

Not so sure about in the ocean, but it does raise the question of being boarded by coastys, fishery dudes, and stuff.

I was boarded by coast gaurd this last april. first question from them "is anyone onboard armed" I said "I am" he disarmed me and laid it on the dash of the boat. full safety check of the vessel and they were on their way. I had instructions to not retrieve the weapon til they were well away froim us. ropes untied, I went and retrieved my firearm. no issues other than the disarming.

kenzmad

Last edited:

amzbrady

Just curious... how do you plan to rust proof your gun for carrying in the ocean?

when I lived at the Beach, I bought a highpoint so I didnt have to worry about when it rusted, it would be a cheap throw away gun. I talked to a few of the Officers I worked along side of and most all them had been issued a glock 40cal, which they most all started rusting around the rear sights first, most exposed, then around the trigger. Most had switched to a stainless with polymere. I did so too. Only thing I had to deal with then is standing a beach with rain and 40 to 80 mph winds blasting wet sand into every crack and crevise on me and the gun. Never took it fully into the water though. I dont have waterproof primers. Drawback, I had to clean my firearm about every three day on normal days, windy rainy days, sometimes a couple times a night. Air compressors work good.

amzbrady

Just curious... how do you plan to rust proof your gun for carrying in the ocean?

Ocean Shores is a city in Washington State. It encompasses land that lies next to a large body of water.

Ocean shores beach is considered a state highway. it has a 25 mph speed limit and dont get caught riding through the wave by the state parks dept, they are clam beds. OSPD patrols regularly on the beach from the north jetty, to the Illahee approch by the best western. State Parks dept runs from damon point to the north jetty to Moclips river which then turns into Quinault indian nation. Grays Harbor county and WSP Patrol typically only on holidays, and big events. Otherwise only when called. They argue with each other, Grays Harbor has SUV's in that area so WSP thinks they should have to respond to calls, esp since most approaches are closer to county roads, the Sheriffs think WSP needs to get off their lazy arses and do their job since all the approaches are so close to SR109, and the beach is a state highway. I used to get a kick out of watching the pi$$ing matches.

Fire surpressor asked...Is it legal to go to ocean shores and open carry on the beach?
I carried all the time at Ocean Shores, No problems

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?71448-Ongoing-Grays-Harbor-OC-report. shows whole liink cause I'm not savy enough to change it to a few words underlined and blue saying what it is.

View attachment 6693

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You are not one of the Beach Tow Rip Off' Operators?
attachment.php

I was at Grayland clam digging with a cousin that wanted to drive her van and was stuck and one of the local tow boys wanted $70 a tow and saying it would take 2 tows, my butt! Fish and Game came by and pulled her out so the next dig I drove my Ford F250 4X4 with a heavy chain down and followed him around and took a couple of tows away from him for free, he was not happy and I was!

Some of those local tow driver wannabes are rip offs. If Fish and Game had a tag for them I would have bagged one!

Last edited:

amlevin

You are not one of the Beach Tow Rip Off' Operators?
attachment.php

I was at Grayland clam digging with a cousin that wanted to drive her van and was stuck and one of the local tow boys wanted $70 a tow and saying it would take 2 tows, my butt! Fish and Game came by and pulled her out so the next dig I drove my Ford F250 4X4 with a heavy chain down and followed him around and took a couple of tows away from him for free, he was not happy and I was!

Some of those local tow driver wannabes are rip offs. If Fish and Game had a tag for them I would have bagged one!

I've been traveling to the "Beach" for over 50 years. Have always carried a tow strap and couple lengths of chain when I do. I usually stop and help those I can. Figure that it's an "investment". May need help some day myself.

As for carrying on the beach, it's the same as boating on Puget Sound. Regardless of what the firearm is constructed from, polymer, steel, stainless steel, all those little springs inside are subject to rapid corrosion when exposed to salt. Rinse in hot water, blow off with air, a good oiling, and corrosion will be headed off. Too bad this is just about a daily requirement if you want a reliable firearm and are carrying in a marine environment every day.

amzbrady- If you want "waterproof ammo" just get some clear fingernail polish and thin it about half/half with acetone. Paint some around the primer, where it joins the case. Do likewise around the case mouth where the bullet is inserted. The primer to brass seal is pretty darn good as it is and likewise at the case mouth/bullet interface. I reload tons of ammo. These interfaces are about as tight as they can get. The primer is squeezed down in diameter by a thousandth or so. The case is expanded by approximately .002-.003" when the bullet is inserted. An interference fit in machinist jargon. A little sealer like fingernail polish can add a feeling of security. The mix I suggested will fill any possible paths to capillary action of water without harming the function of the ammo.

You can also buy a commercial product but having done so I can attest that it is merely a fingernail polish base that is thinned and has no pigment.