• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Northwest Washington Fair?

ARADCOM

Has anyone OC'ed at Northwest Washington Fair? (in Lynden, up by Bellingham) I've checked their website and they say nothing about firearms. But it is I believe a private fair (as opposed to a county fair).

Should have asked this earlier 'cuz I'm heading out there today with my grandsons and am not sure what to do.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Mission Statement:
The annual fair will be a social gathering place where family values will be honored and individuals of all ages will be entertained.

However I have been unable at this time to find out who actually owns and manages the grounds. It may be county property but if a 3rd Party is managing the property they can get around the rules of carrying.

This is one of those times where concealed means concealed.

ARADCOM

Mission Statement:
The annual fair will be a social gathering place where family values will be honored and individuals of all ages will be entertained.

However I have been unable at this time to find out who actually owns and manages the grounds. It may be county property but if a 3rd Party is managing the property they can get around the rules of carrying.

This is one of those times where concealed means concealed.

Yeah, you have to park a ways from the entrance, and since I had a 6 and 8 year old in tow I didn't feel like getting turned away. So I went with CC with no issues and we had a great time, although I found I don't handle some of the rides as well as I used too. ;-)

I did check for signs at the entrance and saw none referencing firearms.

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Gunfight at fair!

Just heard on King 5 news that there was some kind of gunfight at the fair. The didn't have any details so it will be interesting to see what happened.

But I'm glad now that I CC'd when I went rather than going unarmed. Just goes to show, you can't tell when something bad is going to happen.

amlevin

Just heard on King 5 news that there was some kind of gunfight at the fair. The didn't have any details so it will be interesting to see what happened.

But I'm glad now that I CC'd when I went rather than going unarmed. Just goes to show, you can't tell when something bad is going to happen.

Here's a news report on the incident:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/08/20/2149906/shooting-reported-at-lynden-fair.html

My Crystal Ball says that next year there will be "No Firearm" signs at all the entrances.

Next time someone asks why you carry, just refer to this incident. Bad "stuff" can happen anywhere.

amlevin

Mexican gang or gang wannabee's .....

And we thought they were only taking over California.

I'm astonished that something like this would occur in WA State

3463470-baby-with-astonished-look.jpg

MKEgal

Mission Statement said:
Good - a "family values" place! Being able to protect the family against harm ranks high on my list of family values. Obviously the fair isn't protecting people.

amlevin said:
If going on rides a good holster and retention is strongly suggested. Just picture a "1911" (or any other type) flying through the air like a lost flip-flop.
Indeed a scary thought for many models. (Completely aside from the probability that it won't be there when you get off the ride, or that you'll have some 'splainin to do to the local LEOs.)
One more reason I love my Glocks.
Treat them like the old luggage commercial & they still won't go bang if you don't want them to.
(Yes, I have heard of an ND where someone's clothing &/or fat pressed the trigger as he was sitting down in his car. Needs a better holster that covers the trigger. Maybe less fat too.)

amlevin said:
My Crystal Ball says that next year there will be "No Firearm" signs at all the entrances.
If laws, which can have pretty harsh "sticks", don't stop crime,
WHY would some nitwit expect a sign to have any effect? :banghead:

From a followup story:
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/08/21/2150272/15-year-old-arrested-in-lynden.html
"Fair officials... haven’t started considering whether next year will bring security changes."
Unless it includes metal detectors, they won't prevent a repeat.

This whole thing has to be fake.
I mean, there are laws saying that someone under 18 can't have a pistol except in very limited circumstances,
and there are laws saying that people can't shoot other people unless in fear for their life or grave harm,
and laws prevent crime, right?

Justman1020

“It’s a bummer that it got marred by that,” he said Sunday morning, “but I don’t think it takes away from the fact that we had a great fair this year.”

quoted from the second article....

yeah...yep...awesome fair *sarcasm*

GuidoZ

My family, as well as a friend of my 5yr old daughter's and her family, were there the day before. We noticed a fair amount of gangbanger wannabe's walking around later in the evening. I was also CC, and referred to this post when asked why I would carry to the fair. Unfortunately the Mexican gangs are becoming quite common in this area (Skagit/Whatcom) due to the large population of farm workers, most of which are Mexican. I am a recent grad of the Mount Vernon Police Citizen's Academy, part of which is a good amount of info on the gangs in the area. Mount Vernon PD has an officer dedicated just to gang activity, which another officer highly trained. the rest of them get the usual training. Crazy stuff to think about around here, but it's surprisingly rampant for the number of people.

--
Peace. ~G