• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spread Sheet - County/City Ordinances - Stop & ID, CHP Reqs, Airguns, & Park Bans

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Long overdue for a "bump".

Just a heads up, once we reach "crossover date" in the General Assembly (February 15th), it'll be time to start chipping away at these rogue localities again.

TFred

We really need to confirm when Crossover Day will be this year - there is some confusion to that regard.

Just figured out how to advance the calender to February.

The 15th of Feb. is indeed the correct date for Crossover Day.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I remember seeing the spreadsheet on the different counties & cities with their laws on air guns and bb guns but I can't find it anymore.

Coould someone please enlighten me about how Newport News feels about the discharge of pellet guns in their city?

Thanks!
mike

TFred

I remember seeing the spreadsheet on the different counties & cities with their laws on air guns and bb guns but I can't find it anymore.

Coould someone please enlighten me about how Newport News feels about the discharge of pellet guns in their city?

Thanks!
mike
It's in the first message on Page 1 of this thread. Newport News does still have an ordinance in place.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This was signed, sealed & delivered in 2011

15.2-915.4. Counties, cities and towns authorized to regulate use of pneumatic guns.

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges or, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?111+ful+SB757

We aim to please - you aim too, please. :)

Short version: BB guns are legal when used responsibly.

TFred

This thread had fallen back a bit, and that's OK during the General Assembly session... no need to motivate any local officials to try and remove some of our good state-wide gun laws.

Now that the GA is over... time to bring this back and resume our efforts to force localities to come into compliance where needed.

Hopefully many updates to follow!

TFred

Glockster

Regarding all of that, if you have updated information regarding a specific locality is it preferable to include that discussion here or to start a separate thread? For example, I have updated information on the VA BH stop/ID law. Where should I be posting that?

mk4

Regarding all of that, if you have updated information regarding a specific locality is it preferable to include that discussion here or to start a separate thread? For example, I have updated information on the VA BH stop/ID law. Where should I be posting that?

there's a link to a public google doc spreadsheet in post #1 of this thread. i think you can edit it directly if you have new/updated info. i haven't actually tried it myself, though.

hth

Glockster

there's a link to a public google doc spreadsheet in post #1 of this thread. i think you can edit it directly if you have new/updated info. i haven't actually tried it myself, though.

hth

I'm thinking more along the line of having information to pass along and discuss (some follow-up that I did, the responses that I got, etc.) rather than what would likely go in the spreadsheet.

mk4

i scrolled back through this thread and it looks like reports and discussion are happening right here in the thread.

so... report away! :)

TFred

I just noticed that HB 754 has been signed by the Governor! This law will directly affect about 1/3 of the localities in Virginia, as they will be required to modify their CHP process to remove the requirement to collect fingerprints.

Also, once we see the final outcome of SB 563 (Restricts the clerk and the circuit court from requesting or requiring any information from an applicant other than that which is allowed on the concealed handgun permit application) (it is currently awaiting signature by the Governor), we may have additional changes to make to this grassroots effort.

These two bills have gone a long way toward improving the CHP process for the citizens of Virginia.

TFred

ETA: I plan to stop by my local clerk's office in the morning to pick up a current CHP application, so I can review it, and send them a very nice and hopefully helpful summary of what will need to be changed on July 1st.

Last edited:

TFred

I just noticed that HB 754 has been signed by the Governor! This law will directly affect about 1/3 of the localities in Virginia, as they will be required to modify their CHP process to remove the requirement to collect fingerprints.

Also, once we see the final outcome of SB 563 (Restricts the clerk and the circuit court from requesting or requiring any information from an applicant other than that which is allowed on the concealed handgun permit application) (it is currently awaiting signature by the Governor), we may have additional changes to make to this grassroots effort.

These two bills have gone a long way toward improving the CHP process for the citizens of Virginia.

TFred

ETA: I plan to stop by my local clerk's office in the morning to pick up a current CHP application, so I can review it, and send them a very nice and hopefully helpful summary of what will need to be changed on July 1st.
SB 563 was signed by the Governor yesterday. Good news!

TFred

B. Reddy

So..... a non-hunter, with a sidearm holstered, openly carrying, while walking the dog along a public highway, is or is not OK? Maybe I'm just over-thinking that last phrase....

Sec. 42-31. - Possession of loaded firearms prohibited

(a)

Pursuant to the authority of Code of Virginia, § 15.2-1209.1, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession while on any part of a public highway within the county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking.

This section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles, nor to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So..... a non-hunter, with a sidearm holstered, openly carrying, while walking the dog along a public highway, is or is not OK? Maybe I'm just over-thinking that last phrase....

Sec. 42-31. - Possession of loaded firearms prohibited

(a)

Pursuant to the authority of Code of Virginia, § 15.2-1209.1, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession while on any part of a public highway within the county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking.

This section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles, nor to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.

Believe you have confused that statute. Operative words (see below) are "for the purpose of hunting."
Walking the dog is fine.

§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.
The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession,for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.

Sec 42-31 also references "for the purpose of hunting" - goes to intent or actual conduct.
http://orangecountyva.gov/Legislative Activity/AGENDA_FILES/11/12-13-11/PH1A Firearms.pdf

Not hunting - no problem.
Beyond these strict limits is IMO a violation of Code of Virginia 15.2-915

B. Reddy

Believe you have confused that statute. Operative words (see below) are "for the purpose of hunting."
Walking the dog is fine.

(Thanks for the clarification.)

Sec 42-31 also references "for the purpose of hunting" - goes to intent or actual conduct.
http://orangecountyva.gov/Legislative Activity/AGENDA_FILES/11/12-13-11/PH1A Firearms.pdf

Not hunting - no problem.
Beyond these strict limits is IMO a violation of Code of Virginia 15.2-915

(Wow- it took my Board of Supervisors FOUR YEARS to bring county code into compliance with VA Code. My bad for not paying them enough attention. )

Tanner

wow sesrun.... just wow. Thank you. this brings up a question. I thought that virginia had something in place that overruled local law making or ordinances at least as it pertains to OC. Maby someone has already posted something about thisand I just dident get it. Anyone have a plain jane explanation?

Last edited:

TFred

wow sesrun.... just wow. Thank you. this brings up a question. I thought that virginia had something in place that overruled local law making or ordinances at least as it pertains to OC. Maby someone has already posted something about thisand I just dident get it. Anyone have a plain jane explanation?
Dude, you're killing me.

Ask a question in ONE thread! People read this stuff. Honest. I just wasted 5 minutes answering your question, because it was the first thread I opened, and then found out that someone else answered your exact same question in a different thread.

Patience is a virtue.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I know it is not your intent, but multiple posting of the same thing is considered spamming.

You started a thread yesterday with this exact wording therein and it has been answered in some detail.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...re-your-wisdom-with-me!&p=1754062#post1754062

This thread is dedicated to identifying and correcting those municipalities that are not in compliance. Anything else is off-topic.

Tanner

I apoligise I have never used a forum like this where EVERYONE seemes to read the new threads. Im a school bus driver and belive me when I say that my job is the embodiment of patience. I acctually dident even mean to post anything on this thread. I followed a link from a thread I started and forgot that I was redirected to your thread. When I realized it wasent my thread i figured what the heck the more people that answer the queson the better. I do read what everyone take the time to post. My suggestion is to just kick the noob in the rear and tell him to never open his mouth again.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... My suggestion is to just kick the noob in the rear and tell him to never open his mouth again.

While that might at times be rather tempting, we will probably pass on it - for now.

To restate - there is no bucket of "stuff" we can just pour into your head to make you have the knowledge and experience of the group as a whole, or even as much as some of the more experienced and/or learned individuals have. Plus, for every "answer" there is a caveat and at least one exception.

Why not slow down, curb your enthusiasm just a bit, and ask specific questions about specific issues you actually encounter, instead of running around asking "What if" for everything you might imagine.

I can't speak for anyone else, but on a personal note you seem to be pretty bound and determined to ask for answers to be handed to you as opposed to looking up information and checking to see if the understanding you arrive at is accurate. That's just asking us to pour a bucket of "stuff" in your head piecemeal. It also probably will hinder your ability to understand why certain things are they way they are and why we react/respond to those things as we do.

stay safe.

Tanner

Understood skid. Its simple I am trying to learn or "cram" as much knowledge as possible in a short amount of time. I want to OC but am concerned about overlooking something. at this point I belive I have the basic info but ignorance of the law is no excuse and that is what scares me about it. And my motto is to work smart, not hard. I make no claim to understand how the laws are written. It is easier to get someone elses input on what it means than read jargon packed page after jargon packed page of law. For now on I will stick to my own threads to get some answers so I stop mucking up other peoples stuff.