• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spread Sheet - County/City Ordinances - Stop & ID, CHP Reqs, Airguns, & Park Bans

Blk97F150

I today wrote back to the Alexandria City Attorney, who had put me off for 2 weeks, was very polite but told him I would be writing to entire city council if I do not get a response by October 20.

Keep after them. I think some of these localities think that if they ignore you... you will 'just go away'. One locality that I am working on regarding their 'park gun ban' has ignored all of my email communications for the last month. I just mailed the County Administrator a USPS Certified Return Receipt letter with copies of each email, a copy of their improper county code, and a copy of the state code 15.2-915 (with the section that states a judge can award expneses, etc... highlighted in yellow!). :uhoh:

TFred

I today wrote back to the Alexandria City Attorney, who had put me off for 2 weeks, was very polite but told him I would be writing to entire city council if I do not get a response by October 20.
The amusing part of all this (if you are talking about their air gun ordinance) is that UNTIL they update it to comply, the existing ordinance is invalid, and unenforceable anyway! We really are doing them a favor here.

TFred

Marco

Email sent to Greene County Board of Supervisors 10/09/2011

Greene County Board of Supervisors,

I wanted to bring your attention to Ordinance section:

Sec. 54-1. Discharge of firearms.

(a) Prohibited areas. The discharge of firearms, air-operated or gas-operated weapons of any nature whatsoever shall be prohibited in the following areas: Locust Lane Subdivision and the adjoining R-2 zoning district in Midway Acres Subdivision, more fully described in an exhibit filed with a copy of the ordinance from which this section derives in the office of the county administrator

I believe it is in violation of following state law:

As of July 1, 2011 SB757 went into effect. I believe the new state code is as follows:

§ 15.2-915.4. Counties, cities and towns authorized to regulate use of pneumatic guns.

A. A locality may prohibit, by ordinance, the shooting of pneumatic guns in any areas of the locality that are in the opinion of the governing body so heavily populated as to make such conduct dangerous to the inhabitants thereof, and may require supervision by a parent, guardian, or other adult supervisor approved by a parent or guardian of any minor below the age of 16 in all uses of pneumatic guns on private or public property. The ordinance may specify that minors above the age of 16 may, with the written consent of a parent or guardian, use a pneumatic gun at any place designated for such use by the local governing body or on private property with the consent of the owner. The ordinance may specify that any minor, whether permitted by a parent or guardian to use a pneumatic gun or not, shall be responsible for obeying all laws, regulations and restrictions governing such use. Any penalty for a pneumatic gun offense set forth in such an ordinance shall not exceed a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.

Could you please let me know how Greene County plans to correct this situation.

Sincerely,
Marco
Stanardsville Resident

Next BoS meeting is 10/11 I'll try to attend.

Last edited:

TFred

Greene County Board of Supervisors,

I wanted to bring your attention to Ordinance section:

Sec. 54-1. Discharge of firearms.

(a) Prohibited areas. The discharge of firearms, air-operated or gas-operated weapons of any nature whatsoever shall be prohibited in the following areas: Locust Lane Subdivision and the adjoining R-2 zoning district in Midway Acres Subdivision, more fully described in an exhibit filed with a copy of the ordinance from which this section derives in the office of the county administrator

I believe it is in violation of following state law:

As of July 1, 2011 SB757 went into effect. I believe the new state code is as follows:

§ 15.2-915.4. Counties, cities and towns authorized to regulate use of pneumatic guns.

A. A locality may prohibit, by ordinance, the shooting of pneumatic guns in any areas of the locality that are in the opinion of the governing body so heavily populated as to make such conduct dangerous to the inhabitants thereof, and may require supervision by a parent, guardian, or other adult supervisor approved by a parent or guardian of any minor below the age of 16 in all uses of pneumatic guns on private or public property. The ordinance may specify that minors above the age of 16 may, with the written consent of a parent or guardian, use a pneumatic gun at any place designated for such use by the local governing body or on private property with the consent of the owner. The ordinance may specify that any minor, whether permitted by a parent or guardian to use a pneumatic gun or not, shall be responsible for obeying all laws, regulations and restrictions governing such use. Any penalty for a pneumatic gun offense set forth in such an ordinance shall not exceed a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.

Could you please let me know how Greene County plans to correct this situation.

Sincerely,
Marco
Stanardsville Resident

Next BoS meeting is 10/11 I'll try to attend.
Don't forget to also show them Chapter 832, which specifies that any existing ordinances not in compliance are invalid.

TFred

Marco

Don't forget to also show them Chapter 832, which specifies that any existing ordinances not in compliance are invalid.

TFred

I plan to be at the meeting if they bark at removing that nonsense.

What I don't get is there are archery practice ranges in more yards than one could count, why would they restrict air guns and not archery.
Not that I want archery restricted but the logic behind the method is lacking..

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I sent this to the Accomack County Board of Supervisors:

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:49 PM

Subject: Accomack Ordinance 58-1

Accomack Board of Supervisors

I am contacting you in regards to the Accomack County Ordinance 58-1 requiring fingerprinting for concealed handgun permit applications.

Sec. 58-1. - Issuance of handgun permit; conditions.
As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, any applicant who is a resident of the county shall submit to fingerprinting by the sheriff's department and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant.
(Ord. of 8-20-1997, § 1
State law reference— Authority for above section, Code of Virginia, § 18.2-308.

Under the Code of Virginia, § 18.2-308 the requirement for fingerprinting is an optional requirement and is for first time applicants only. Fingerprinting cannot be required for renewal applications pursuant to subsection I of § 18.2-308, and in reality is not needed for a background check to be done. This requirement only adds an extra burden on the concealed handgun permit applicant, Sheriff’s Department and the clerks office.
It is also my understanding the Sheriffs office only does fingerprinting 1 day a week, from one o’clock to two o’clock in the afternoon. This places an undue burden on people that have to work during the day as they would have to take off from work to go to the Sheriff’s office to have the fingerprinting done. It is also my understanding that only a few local jurisdictions in Virginia require fingerprinting for first time concealed handgun permit applications.
Please consider repealing Sec. 58-1 in the county ordinances, and I would appreciate you letting me know of your ideas regarding this issue.
Thank You
John Xxxxxx
757-9XX-XXXX

Received no answer from any of the Supervisors, so I sent it again yesturday, with the lead in:

Subject: Fw: Accomack Ordinance 58-1

I sent this to the members of the BOS on September 16, 2011, and have yet to hear a reply as to what you think or are planning in regards to my communication.

I find it amusing that in an election year you feel ignoring a constituent is the right thing to do.

John Xxxxxx
757-9XX-XXXX

Then I received an email from Supervisor Thornton:

Subject: RE: Accomack Ordinance 58-1

Mr. Xxxxxx,

What does an election year have to do with an ordinance? If the BOS wanted to consider a change, they would have to go through the same process as any other amendment to an ordinance with advertising, public hearing, etc. The BOS would then consider whether to amend or leave as is. The sheriff’s recommendation would carry a lot of weight in whatever decision we make.

The sheriff is a constitutional officer, he is the one who enforces the state law and he decides when to do the fingerprinting, not the BOS. We have no authority to tell him what to do, or how to run his office

I hope you have a better understanding of the role the BOS plays in this situation. I suggest that you talk to the sheriff about this and see what his opinion is.

Wanda Thornton

My reply:

Ms. Thornton

The remark about the election year has nothing to do with amending the ordinance, and all to do with the fact that I never received a comment from any of the members of the Board of Supervisors to my first email, and the appearance that all the members decided to ignore it.

Also telling me the process of how an ordinance is amended does not address what I’m asking the Board to do which is to amend the ordinance to remove the fingerprinting requirement for obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit.

You and the other members of the Board of Supervisors write the ordinances not the Sheriff, and the ordinance is where the requirement for fingerprinting comes from.

I agree the Sheriff decides when his office will do the fingerprinting that is required by the ordinance written by the Board of Supervisors, and there is no reason for me to talk to the Sheriff for his opinion about what the members of the Board of Supervisors should do about eliminating the fingerprinting requirement.

I clearly sent the request to the Board of Supervisors, to deal with an unnecessary part of the ordinance that the majority of jurisdictions in Virginia do not require. And your opinion on the elimination of an unnecessary part of the current ordinance, or at least an assurance you would consider the amendment of the ordinance is what was called for.

Now if you want the Sheriff’s opinion of what the Board of Supervisors should do, why don’t you ask the current acting Sheriff that is not the constitutional officer elected to the post what you should do! Also you can talk to the past Sheriff, that is currently an appointed member of the Board of Supervisors about his opinion.

Thank you for at least responding this time.

John Xxxxxx

Not another word so far. Guess I'll be ignored again now. I am unable to attend BOS meetings as they are held durring my work hours. Considering letters to the editor of local papers, not sure if that will help though.

Jonesy

So I got a response from the Alexandria City Attorney, which reads as follows:
"Unfortunately, our code, like the codes of most states and the federal government , contains provisions that are outdated. First, law enforcement does not enforce those provisions. Second, we amend or repeal such provisions when appropriate. We will handle the provisions you have cited in this same manner. Thank you for your previous communications."

Basically telling me to go away, they will amend or repeal "when appropriate." Keep in mind, they have ordinances governing the transfer or sale of pistols or revolvers, airguns, ammunition, concealed weapons and transporting loaded weapons. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Write to city council seems like a good next step.

Last edited:

TFred

So I got a response from the Alexandria City Attorney, which reads as follows:
"Unfortunately, our code, like the codes of most states and the federal government , contains provisions that are outdated. First, law enforcement does not enforce those provisions. Second, we amend or repeal such provisions when appropriate. We will handle the provisions you have cited in this same manner. Thank you for your previous communications."

Basically telling me to go away, they will amend or repeal "when appropriate." Keep in mind, they have ordinances governing the transfer or sale of pistols or revolvers, airguns, ammunition, concealed weapons and transporting loaded weapons. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Write to city council seems like a good next step.
Sounds like the City Council needs to be made aware of the fact that they need to hire a new City Attorney.

Perhaps you could write an identical letter to each council member, stating that you have informed the City Attorney of the city's exposure to litigation and possible court order to compensate legal fees for a court case they will most certainly lose, and suggest that they take action to clean up their outdated code before someone who wants to make some money gets wind of it and sues.

Just my thoughts...

TFred

Jonesy

Sounds like the City Council needs to be made aware of the fact that they need to hire a new City Attorney.

Perhaps you could write an identical letter to each council member, stating that you have informed the City Attorney of the city's exposure to litigation and possible court order to compensate legal fees for a court case they will most certainly lose, and suggest that they take action to clean up their outdated code before someone who wants to make some money gets wind of it and sues.

Just my thoughts...

TFred

In my initial letter to the City Attorney, I did not point out the provision providing for reasonable attorneys fees and costs as I did not want to seem too pushy, instead just pointed out the provisions and how they seem to be in conflict with Va law. Maybe, based on his response, I should ask him if I can ignore all Alexandria ordinances, and if not, how do I or other citizens know which ones are valid? I could also then point out the provision providing for reasonable attorneys fees and costs.

TFred

In my initial letter to the City Attorney, I did not point out the provision providing for reasonable attorneys fees and costs as I did not want to seem too pushy, instead just pointed out the provisions and how they seem to be in conflict with Va law. Maybe, based on his response, I should ask him if I can ignore all Alexandria ordinances, and if not, how do I or other citizens know which ones are valid? I could also then point out the provision providing for reasonable attorneys fees and costs.
For some reason, I don't expect this person has much of a sense of humor. If it were me handling this, I would conclude that I have the answer I am going to get from the City Attorney, and it is now time to move on. Just my thoughts, of course, you should do what you perceive to be the most likely to produce the desired result.

ETA: The City Attorney had ample opportunity to discover the city's potential exposure, it's not your job to do all their research for them! If they are surprised by the revelation, then lesson learned: Do your homework! :)

TFred

Last edited:

Jonesy

For some reason, I don't expect this person has much of a sense of humor. If it were me handling this, I would conclude that I have the answer I am going to get from the City Attorney, and it is now time to move on. Just my thoughts, of course, you should do what you perceive to be the most likely to produce the desired result.

ETA: The City Attorney had ample opportunity to discover the city's potential exposure, it's not your job to do all their research for them! If they are surprised by the revelation, then lesson learned: Do your homework! :)

TFred

I will give him another chance before writing to City Council. Here is what I sent:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your reply. If the citizens of Alexandria don't know which ordinances are valid, how are we to determine which ones to comply with? Are you suggesting that we can ignore all of the ordinances pertaining to weapons, or do we have to somehow figure out which ones we must comply with? For example, 13-2-23 has provisions one must comply with for the sale of pistols or revolvers including filling out and delivering an application to the Chief of Police. Can this ordinance be ignored? Should I just ignore all Alexandria ordinances? I think the answer is no.

I would like to point out that the legislature included a C providing for the award of costs and attorneys fees for challenging and prevailing against such ordinances in § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies:

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

I am happy to help by pointing out the weapons related ordinances that seem to violate Virginia law, as I did in my first e-mail. I believe that any such ordinances that are invalid under Virginia law should be repealed as soon as possible so that citizens can know which provisions they must comply with. This does not seem unreasonable to me.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

XXX

TFred

I will give him another chance before writing to City Council. Here is what I sent:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your reply. If the citizens of Alexandria don't know which ordinances are valid, how are we to determine which ones to comply with? Are you suggesting that we can ignore all of the ordinances pertaining to weapons, or do we have to somehow figure out which ones we must comply with? For example, 13-2-23 has provisions one must comply with for the sale of pistols or revolvers including filling out and delivering an application to the Chief of Police. Can this ordinance be ignored? Should I just ignore all Alexandria ordinances? I think the answer is no.

I would like to point out that the legislature included a C providing for the award of costs and attorneys fees for challenging and prevailing against such ordinances in § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies:

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

I am happy to help by pointing out the weapons related ordinances that seem to violate Virginia law, as I did in my first e-mail. I believe that any such ordinances that are invalid under Virginia law should be repealed as soon as possible so that citizens can know which provisions they must comply with. This does not seem unreasonable to me.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

XXX
Ha ha, and of course the answer to your question (bolded above) is YES, as 15.2-915 invalidates that one as well!

TFred

Blk97F150

City of Charlottesville - 'air gun ban'

The City Council for the City of Charlottesville will be acting on a proposed code ammendment regarding their 'air gun ban' during the Council meeting on Oct 17th.

Attached is the proposed new code section (VERY similar to proposed code changes in other areas...).

I'll post an update as soon as I learn the outcome. (if anyone wants to attend the meeting... that would be cool....).

Attachments

• Pneumatic Gun Regulation Memo and Ord.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 374

Marco

said:
The City Council for the City of Charlottesville will be acting on a proposed code ammendment regarding their 'air gun ban' during the Council meeting on Oct 17th. (if anyone wants to attend the meeting... that would be cool....).

I'll try and make it to that meeting.

I went to the Greene County BoS meeting yesterday unfortunately I didn't see the sign up sheet to speak so I missed my chance.
However, after the meeting I spoke with Bart Svoboda who stated he would forward my info up the chain to the County attorney for review.

After Bart looked over the items he stated the most likely route would be to remove the air gun restrictions completely and just reference state law, this way there would likely be no other issues done the road :)
I'll be attending every BoS meeting until the issue is resolved.

~Marco

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Received Today

Mr. Hilton –
Your e-mail regarding Accomack County Ordinance 58-1 has been referred to me.
Yours is the first and only comment I have ever seen suggesting a repeal of the fingerprinting requirement in Accomack County Ordinance 58-1. I have received no comments from Supervisors subsequent to your e-mail submittal calling for or requesting consideration of such a repeal.
Inasmuch as the ordinance states plainly that fingerprinting is a condition of issuance and it is silent as to re-issuance or renewal, I don’t see inconsistency between Ordinance 58-1 and Virginia Code Sec. 18.2-308.
As for your concerns regarding operations internal to the Accomack County Sheriff’s Office, I am sure you are aware that Accomack County’s Sheriff is an independent Constitutional Officer of the Commonwealth of Virginia and that the Sheriff is elected at-large. The upshot of this is that the Sheriff is responsible for operations within the Sheriff’s Office. Please address your concerns about the inconvenience of fingerprinting directly to the Sheriff.
Thank you,
Mark Taylor

Mark B. Taylor, Esquire
County Attorney
County of Accomack
Post Office Box 709
Accomac, VA 23301
757-787-5799
I'm trying to craft a reply, and suggestions are appreciated. So far I have:

Mr.Taylor

I never said that the fingerprinting requirement was inconsistent with the state code. I said it was an optional requirement that is not necessary to do a background check.

My point is that the code as written places an undue burden on the Sheriff’s office, and the applicants for a Concealed Handgun Permit. It causes the extra expenditure of funds by the Sheriff’s Office to provide the Deputy to do the fingerprinting that is unnecessary to complete the background check in the first place. And also causes the applicants to have to take time off from work and make a special trip to the Sheriff's office.

My concern has nothing to do with the internal operations of the Sheriff’s office as the Sheriff’s Office is only doing what they have to do to comply with the burden placed on them by a county ordinance which is not needed.

In response to yours and others suggestion that I talk to the Sheriff, my request is a modification of a county ordinance, which is not the Sheriff’s domain. Also although I have nothing against Acting Sheriff Todd Godwin he is not the elected constitutional officer and even the county’s web site (http://www.co.accomack.va.us/constitutional_officers.html) recognizes this by still listing the Sheriff as Larry J. Giddens Sr., who you know retired early.

TFred

I'm trying to craft a reply, and suggestions are appreciated. So far I have:

I can understand the County Attorney's confusion. You're mixing apples and oranges, and trying to buy them from the baker. ;)

There are no hard and fast rules for this, but typical guidelines I would suggest:

If you are trying to have a current ordinance that is in violation of State Law corrected, I would start with the City/County/Town Attorney, because it is their job to represent the interest of their jurisdiction, and keep them out of trouble. Violating State Law can cause them trouble.

If you are trying to change an existing ordinance that in all aspects does comply with State Law, but you just don't think it's a good ordinance, then you need to find a friendly member of the local legislative body, (Board of Supervisors, City/Town Council). Pitch your idea for change to them, provide them supporting evidence, ask them to solicit opinions of other council members and the jurisdiction's staff, then if you are successful, they will begin the process to change the local ordinance to your liking.

For administrative issues, such as the Sheriff's office inconvenient hours, the County Attorney is correct, you will need to address those issues with the Sheriff.

What you want to do is gather allies and build consensus. Suggestion: Talk to the Sheriff about the fingerprinting, discuss how inconvenient it is for both the citizen AND their deputies. Ask what value the fingerprints provide to the CHP process. If you are lucky, you will have an ally that will support a change to repeal the requirement who might even be willing to come to the BoS meeting and speak in support.

Remember, these fine folks (for the most part) are just trying to do their jobs. Satisfying any particular agenda is very low on their total list of things to do.

JMHO,

TFred

TFred

OT, but...

...am I losing my mind, or didn't this thread used to be a "Sticky?"

This is a long-term work in progress...

Just curious, it's easy enough to find if you know to look for it.

TFred

Blk97F150

Update: Spotsylvania County has passed their revised 'air gun' code to comply with state law. :banana:

Hopefully I will have good news from a couple more localities in the next few days. :cool: