• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spread Sheet - County/City Ordinances - Stop & ID, CHP Reqs, Airguns, & Park Bans

Marco

The City Council for the City of Charlottesville will be acting on a proposed code ammendment regarding their 'air gun ban' during the Council meeting on Oct 17th.

I won't be able to make this. I have to be in DC this evening. :(

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Town of Luray

The Town Attorney for Luray will be presenting the Town Council a proposed amendment to correct their 'air gun' ordinance during the upcoming Council meeting on Oct 25th 5:30pm. This would be the 'first reading' (some localities have had at least two readings... some have passed a change during its initial reading).

I do not have a copy of this proposal yet (it hasn't been presented to Council yet....).

More to follow....

Blk97F150

City of Charlottesville Update

I just learned that the City Council voted to approve the first reading of the new 'air gun' code during its Oct 17th meeting.

The 'second reading' (probably the final...) will happen during the Nov 7 City Council meeting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is the information on the spread sheet being updated?

Is there any on-going effort to "filling in the blanks"?

Blk97F150

I try to keep the areas I'm working on fairly current, at least with significant progress markers... (but I don't update for every 'status check' email that gets swapped with a locality). That said, I probably need to look at another update.

I have about 10 more localities on my 'to do' list as well.... but I've gotten to the point where I need to wrap a few of these up before adding more to my plate. (if someone else gets to them first... great, have at it).

Btw, My wife insists that I'm going to be blacklisted by every police department in each of the areas I've contacted.... and if I get pulled over by one of them, all sorts of red flags/bells & whistles will be going off on their in-car computers!! LOL!! (With a couple of them.... she might be right! :uhoh: )

Sesrun

The spreadsheet is constantly being updated by many people. A LOT of work has been done by many OCDO members. As for "filling in the blanks" most of the city/county missing data is due to their code not being available online. The blanks for towns have not been done, however, some members have contributed to filling in those blanks.

I also get weekly updates from Blk97F150 that I double check have been updated on the spreadsheet and PVC forwards all code related emails to me for spreadsheet update.

If you would like to contribute feel free as the spreadsheet automatically saves any changes made when going through the link in the OP. I do back it up at least once a week if not once every/every-other day.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Accomac Town Ordinance 18 Fixed

I have updated the file to reflect the Town of Accomac in Accomack County did have ordinance 18 which banned the use of BB Guns in town limits. Ordinance 18 amendment was passed unanimously at the August 24th, 2011 town meeting aligning it with state law.

A little history on ordinance 18: Originally passed July 22nd 1949 and carried a maximum fine of $5.00. Half of the fine was to go to the informant after conviction of the miscreant and recovery of the fine. As near as can be found no changes were ever made after enactment until the amendment was proposed at the July 27th 2011 meeting. The best part is that the passing of the original ordinance was blamed on my father-in-laws young cousin and his friends shooting out the street lights. That young miscreant is now the mayor.:lol:

TFred

I have updated the file to reflect the Town of Accomac in Accomack County did have ordinance 18 which banned the use of BB Guns in town limits. Ordinance 18 amendment was passed unanimously at the August 24th, 2011 town meeting aligning it with state law.

A little history on ordinance 18: Originally passed July 22nd 1949 and carried a maximum fine of $5.00. Half of the fine was to go to the informant after conviction of the miscreant and recovery of the fine. As near as can be found no changes were ever made after enactment until the amendment was proposed at the July 27th 2011 meeting. The best part is that the passing of the original ordinance was blamed on my father-in-laws young cousin and his friends shooting out the street lights. That young miscreant is now the mayor.:lol:
Just curious, Google failed to reveal an online source for the Town's ordinances, is that the case?

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Just curious, Google failed to reveal an online source for the Town's ordinances, is that the case?

TFred
The towns ordinances are not online as you see at municicode. Being on the town council I have access to them. The town is still sorta in the dark ages and slowly being dragged into the 20th century. I might get them into the 21st century before I die if I'm lucky.

All members of the town council including the Mayor and Secretary are part time positions. The secretary is trying to create a website, but it is in addition to her full time job. We have no full time employees and since the town is also the county seat, we depend on the Sheriff and VSP for law enforcement.

John :(

TFred

The towns ordinances are not online as you see at municicode. Being on the town council I have access to them. The town is still sorta in the dark ages and slowly being dragged into the 20th century. I might get them into the 21st century before I die if I'm lucky.

All members of the town council including the Mayor and Secretary are part time positions. The secretary is trying to create a website, but it is in addition to her full time job. We have no full time employees and since the town is also the county seat, we depend on the Sheriff and VSP for law enforcement.

John :(
I'm sure you're not the only one. Just a note, there are several localities in the state that do not have their ordinances on Municode, but choose to host them on their own websites.

If they do get a website going, even a copy of a .pdf file with the ordinances would be a good start. A search function is not as fancy as a fully indexed system, but it serves just about as well. :)

TFred

Sesrun

Glad to help out. Thanks goes to everyone who has continued to update the spreadsheet and pursue those local governments who are not abiding by state law. Hopefully we will all continue to get these issues fixed.

Last edited:

opencarrypalmtrees

air gun discharge ban is null the assembly of virginia took back all authority

airguns are allowed to be discharged as long as long as reasonable care is taken to make sure the the discharged missile stays within your property. check out the vcdl website.

Sesrun

airguns are allowed to be discharged as long as long as reasonable care is taken to make sure the the discharged missile stays within your property. check out the vcdl website.

Yes, however, some localities may not have changed their ordinances to reflect this state level preemption for airguns. Until a locality's ordinance is changed to reflect the state changes then the local ordinance is invalid per the new state changes. Proper procedure would be for the locality to change their ordinance and that is what the spreadsheet column is in place for.

Blk97F150

I have several updates for a few localities... but I probably won't be able to get to them until after the New Year. Work and family stuff has been pretty hectic the last couple months....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have several updates for a few localities... but I probably won't be able to get to them until after the New Year. Work and family stuff has been pretty hectic the last couple months....

The rigors and demands of life does have a way of interrupting, delaying our passions sometimes.

Appreciate very much the effort you have put into this - very thorough and well structured.