• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO: "What are you carrying?"

mahkagari

Anyone get their knickers twisted over a LEO asking about your sidearm conversationally? It's how I would unobtrusively contact someone to see if they're "shifty". I much prefer friendly interaction with the public than official contact. But I wonder if there are any around who respond to "Is that a 9mm?" with "Unless you have RAS, either put your badge in your car or don't talk to me."

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I've had a couple conversations with officers that started out that way. They all stayed on topic and went pleasantly. I just respond the same as if anyone else had asked me. Nothing special about the police, right?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've had LEOs and real people :) ask me what I'm carrying. A brief reply of "It's a .45" may get me anything from "I didn't know they made .45 revolvers" to "It's really small to be a .45" to "ACP or Long Colt?" Depending on the circumstances, tone of voice, other indicators and how much time I want to spend will determine if there will be a further conversation.

But most of the conversations I have start off with something more like "I wish I could carry a gun" or "What do you need to have to be able to carry a gun like that?" Again, tone of voice and other indicators will determine where this will go and for how long. Of course, I also carry OC info cards, cards that tell how and why to join VCDL ( www,vcdl.org ) and VCDL application forms and hand them out like candy on Holloween.

The one conversaton starter I have never gotten is "Are you a cop?" I guess looking like Santa Claus pretty much stops them from even thinking I might be working undercover.

Again, if a LEO wants to talk guns or gun rights with me, that's just hunky-dory with me. Either I will learn something I didn't know or the cop will. I'm never quite sure what it will be, but I know we will both part company knowing more than we did when we met. If the LEO wants to move from talking guns and gun rights to something else, I can always decide that I'm done and want to move on along or if I'd like to switch to talking about the weather, or NASCAR or petit-point tatting. If the LEO really wants to continue the conversation they can figure out which magic words to say to make me not walk away, but at that point I'm pretty much ready to say I want to have my attorney to consult with before I say anything else.

I really do like knowing that it is going to benefit me in some way before I go twistng my knickers, whether it's over a LEO or anybody else. There's nothing that says I have to talk to them, even when they tell me I am not free to go. And I know folks who know me will be amazed when I say this, but I really do know how to keep my mouth shut when I need to.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Anyone get their knickers twisted over a LEO asking about your sidearm conversationally? It's how I would unobtrusively contact someone to see if they're "shifty". I much prefer friendly interaction with the public than official contact. But I wonder if there are any around who respond to "Is that a 9mm?" with "Unless you have RAS, either put your badge in your car or don't talk to me."

I wouldn't but in all the years I have been OCing I have never had a LEO approach me. Knock on wood I guess I have been lucky.

Gunslinger

I'd be happy to talk to a cop or anyone else interested in what I was carrying. A lot, if not most, cops around here are pro-2A and respect citizens' rights. I'd look at it from that point of view. Never had a cop do anything but nod at me when OCing--here, in VA or NH.

since9

Campaign Veteran

I'd never have such a horrible reaction to an LEO who's curious about my firearm. I'd react the same way I do when asked by the usual passersby, namely, with a grin and a simple "It's a CZ 85 B. A 9mm."

I've had several casual conversations with LEOs while OCing, and several citizens ask me about my firearm. I've never had an LEO ask me about my firearm. :( I'm missing out!

DCR

They're always "on duty"

Whether in or out of uniform, a LEO is always thinking like they are working - training changes a person, and it tends to keep them alive on- and off-duty, so it's understandable why they conduct themselves as they do 24/7.

Yes, you're being "checked out," like it or not - but it's not always a bad thing. Pass the "attitude test," and you'll likely just have a short, friendly conversation, be left alone afterwards, and possibly in the future by that same officer (jurisdiction dependent, of course!)

Anecdotally, my cop buddy is genuinely into guns, and likes to ask folks about theirs - how they like it, how it shoots, any mechanical issues, what loads it likes, etc. - because he might like one for himself.

Of course, we read too many accounts of LEO encounters that are not so innocent, so YMMV.

MR Redenck

I never mind at all when cops ask about my guns. Actually I have a few that have been to my place showing me their stuff and checking mine out as well. It's not the conversation that ever bothers me, but the reason behind the conversation.
I actually like it when cops show a nice interest in something. " Wished it happened more often too". :lol:

Beau

I try to be polite to everyone who asks about my firearm. That said, I won't go out of my way to pass some "attitude test". It seemed implied by a previous poster that we must pass this test of we want to continue enjoying our day without unwarranted police scrutiny.