Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms Sales Co LLC in Ivor, VA

Firearms Sales Co LLC in Ivor, VA

*UPDATED* With post card info!

OC'd to a few places this afternoon: The Fishin' Hole in Wakefield, Guns and Guitars in Ivor, and Firearms Sales Co LLC in Ivor. The first two locations had no issues but then I entered Firearms Sales LLC off Rt460.

I was there for <1 minute when one of the employees says "If you're not law enforcement you're going to have to unload that". I responded with a "Really?" He stated "Yes". I replied "I thought you supported the Second Amendment". He stated "We do, we just don't allow carrying of loaded firearm in my store". I said "Okay, have a nice day" politely as I walked out the door. I looked more closely for any signs out front and sure enough: -No loaded firearms inside store -No use of cell phones inside store. It is certainly his right to have these rules but it is as such mine to ensure he never sees any of my money. I also question his support of the Second Amendment. The situation was peaceful and polite. I am pondering whether this place is 'postcard' worthy.

Further, did he really believe it would be safer for me to unholster, handle, and manipulate my firearm rather than it stay in a holster with a thumbbreak strap over the top?
    Last edited by Lincoln7; 09-06-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: update at header

Definitely postcard worthy. What a silly policy. Of course, this issue has been discussed before. How hard is it to make a sign that says "Do not un-holster loaded firearms." Problem solved. What's up with the no cell phone rule though?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Definitely postcard worthy. What a silly policy. Of course, this issue has been discussed before. How hard is it to make a sign that says "Do not un-holster loaded firearms." Problem solved. What's up with the no cell phone rule though?
    No cellphones means no last-second setting up of a "flash mob" robbery. Folks are getting very scared of that happening.

Either that or they are worried you might have planted an IED and are going to use your cellphone to set it off?

BTW - when has it become SOP for gun stores to have less than two armed employees? (I'm not talking about big-box places but small, local shops like this one is.) (asking because I'm wondering if he was alone there.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the world where the sky is blue, Deer taste good, dogs dump on the neighbors lawn and cute little coons, carry rabies.

Did you know Kerry was a believer in the second A. So is Obama and for that matter, so is Laurie Haas.

Just because someone owns a gun or a gunshop, doesn't make them a friend or brother in arms.
    Gunshops are tough to keep in business. Spread the word and he'll likely serve you coffee at McDonalds soon.

I was with Lincoln7 today, I was CCW though. It was < 1 min and we were confronted, so we didn't get much time to look around, but I did notice an older gentleman OC'n a revolver and talking with the same employee. I thought it to be odd that he was carrying and thought it was fine to unload before entering. Of course that was just an assumption... it looked more like he was part of the "good-ole-boy-network" and was probably not even questioned when he came into the store. In the brief moment we were inside the store we did notice that their prices were a bit on the steep side as well.
    I would like to see a postcard sent "with love" of course... and I will make sure that anyone I know removes them as an optional place of business.

Lincoln7 was right on point with his 2A comment to the employee, polite and direct... and we promptly left.

Never actually had the chance to do it, but I'd always want to throw in a little "Wow, you must be doing really well to be able to afford to kick out customers over such a stupid policy. Salut!"

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Never actually had the chance to do it, but I'd always want to throw in a little "Wow, you must be doing really well to be able to afford to kick out customers over such a stupid policy. Salut!"

TFred
    That's really good, and exactly how I feel, too. I will certainly remember that line.

According to their website they are a member of "CCRKBA (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep & Bear Arms)". I guess that only applies to 'unloaded arms'.

Or maybe they think the Second Ammendment really states: '..the right of the People to keep and bear UNLOADED arms shall not be infringed.'

How many places have that "Member BBB" decal on their window/door? Or better yet, the head shop in Carytown has one of the FOP* stickers on the door.

Just because you pay the dues to the organization doesn't mean much. It's all in how you behave.

stay safe.

* FOP = Fraternal Order of Police for those that didn't know
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Sollozzo: If you consider a million dollars in cash merely finance...
    [raises his glass]
    Sollozzo: Te salut, Don Corleone.
    Hee hee...

TFred

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SwooshTat View Post
    I would like to see a postcard sent "with love" of course... and I will make sure that anyone I know removes them as an optional place of business.
    You do realize *you* can send one, right?

http://www.amazingmail.com/default.aspx
    Last edited by Tess; 08-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post

He doesn't want to encroach on Ed's domain...lol

Founder's Club Member
    I'm sure Ed doesn't mind the encroachment. He has put out the link to that same site for others to use too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post

I was not aware that I had access to such fancy postcards.
    I will be sending one to them as soon as I get back to my home computer. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I was not aware that I had access to such fancy postcards.
    I will be sending one to them as soon as I get back to my home computer. Thanks for the link!
    Post it here so we can see!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Post it here so we can see!!
    Absolutely. Just have to be a tad patient while I figure it all out.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe.us
    Negative Experience - 9/21/2010

Does not allow the carrying of loaded firearms inside building. Large sign posted on front door.
    Sorry you had a bad experience, but glad to see they've been pegged as anti since last year.

Sorry for the delay but I was able to send a post card. My apologies to Ed L. for using his work as a template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post card front.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	6866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post card back.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	6867  

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
    I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business.When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.
    Last edited by 1000ydshooter; 09-06-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: misspellings
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

He did kick me out for OC a 1911 in condition 1 with a thumb retention holster. No questions, just told me to leave. It sure didn't sound like he wanted my business. I was dressed professionally and was well mannered so it was obvious (to me) that I was not some idiot with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000ydshooter View Post
    I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. Then put up a sign saying "Keep your handgun in your holster while in here." Or a sign telling folks to double-check that guns being brought in for repair are in fact unloaded, and set up a bullet-trap sand barrel next to the door. Look at how Bass Pro Shops has improved the way they handled the sign issue. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. So his hard and fast rules for safety are only for folks he does not know? What is going to prevent you from beng stupid one day? The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business. There is a difference between "No Cell Phones"/"No Cell Phone Use Allowed in Store" and "I'll be happy to sereve you when you have finished your call." When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.
    Sorry, but it seems to me it comes down to arrogance, inconsistency, poorly thinking through a situation to find a solution that works for both owner and customers, and just bad business practices. You might suggest that he step outside his shoes and look at how his potential customers see things, and especially how one has reacted by spreading the word that his shop is not one where "we" will be welcomed.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    ^^^What Skidmark said.^^^

I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop. [...lots of words that mean absolutely nothing.]
    If you are a true friend, it sounds to me like you need to help this guy to wise up. A lot. As previously stated, there are better ways to address his concerns. As it stands, I can't think of any reason I would ever want to go to his store. If you can't get support for a gun shop here, you're in serious trouble.

JMHO.

TFred

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Blk97F150;1595396]According to their website they are a member of "CCRKBA (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep & Bear Arms)".

Gunshops posting their 2A memberships apparently don't mean much---just another way to get you to "Like" them, and spend your money with them. I was in the Carrollton gun shop on Rt 17 this week, and mentioned the VCDL picnic this weekend, and the head man in there (owner?) did not know what VCDL means, so I had to point to the handful of VCDL brochures standing on the counter. He had no idea what language I was speaking. It's strictly a job . . . . .

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business.When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.
    Sooo... a loaded weapon is "unsafe?" And they "accidentally discharged" all by themselves?

Perhaps a loaded weapon that is handled unsafely might lead to an accidental discharge, but I doubt that a holstered, loaded weapon has ever done so on its own...

One of the first things we learn about gun safety -- and which I have taught my kids and grandkids -- is that we always treat a firearm as if it's loaded, and even if you have seen me clear the weapon just before handing it to you, you must also clear the weapon to satisfy yourself that it is, indeed, unloaded.

And yes, I understand that there may be those among us that may be less proficient or careful when handling their firearm, but as long as it remains in the holster, there should be no problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast