• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Sales Co LLC in Ivor, VA

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. Then put up a sign saying "Keep your handgun in your holster while in here." Or a sign telling folks to double-check that guns being brought in for repair are in fact unloaded, and set up a bullet-trap sand barrel next to the door. Look at how Bass Pro Shops has improved the way they handled the sign issue. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. So his hard and fast rules for safety are only for folks he does not know? What is going to prevent you from beng stupid one day? The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business. There is a difference between "No Cell Phones"/"No Cell Phone Use Allowed in Store" and "I'll be happy to sereve you when you have finished your call." When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.

Sorry, but it seems to me it comes down to arrogance, inconsistency, poorly thinking through a situation to find a solution that works for both owner and customers, and just bad business practices. You might suggest that he step outside his shoes and look at how his potential customers see things, and especially how one has reacted by spreading the word that his shop is not one where "we" will be welcomed.

stay safe.

TFred

I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop. [...lots of words that mean absolutely nothing.]
If you are a true friend, it sounds to me like you need to help this guy to wise up. A lot. As previously stated, there are better ways to address his concerns. As it stands, I can't think of any reason I would ever want to go to his store. If you can't get support for a gun shop here, you're in serious trouble.

JMHO.

TFred

Old Virginia Joe

According to their website they are a member of "CCRKBA (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep & Bear Arms)".

Gunshops posting their 2A memberships apparently don't mean much---just another way to get you to "Like" them, and spend your money with them. I was in the Carrollton gun shop on Rt 17 this week, and mentioned the VCDL picnic this weekend, and the head man in there (owner?) did not know what VCDL means, so I had to point to the handful of VCDL brochures standing on the counter. He had no idea what language I was speaking. It's strictly a job . . . . .

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business.When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.

Sooo... a loaded weapon is "unsafe?" And they "accidentally discharged" all by themselves?

Perhaps a loaded weapon that is handled unsafely might lead to an accidental discharge, but I doubt that a holstered, loaded weapon has ever done so on its own...

One of the first things we learn about gun safety -- and which I have taught my kids and grandkids -- is that we always treat a firearm as if it's loaded, and even if you have seen me clear the weapon just before handing it to you, you must also clear the weapon to satisfy yourself that it is, indeed, unloaded.

And yes, I understand that there may be those among us that may be less proficient or careful when handling their firearm, but as long as it remains in the holster, there should be no problem.

Blk97F150

Gunshops posting their 2A memberships apparently don't mean much---just another way to get you to "Like" them, and spend your money with them. I was in the Carrollton gun shop on Rt 17 this week, and mentioned the VCDL picnic this weekend, and the head man in there (owner?) did not know what VCDL means, so I had to point to the handful of VCDL brochures standing on the counter. He had no idea what language I was speaking. It's strictly a job . . . . .

Yep. Sadly, some businesses seem to join multiple associations or organizations just so they can say they are a member, but they really don't know exactly what those organizations stand for... :banghead:

nuc65

Activist Member
I have to respond to this tread. Iam a longtime friend and longtime customer to the ower of this gun shop.The reason for the no loaded weapons policy is because over the years of him being in business(around 20+) he has had people bring loaded weapons into the shop to sell or have repairs done and the were loaded (unsafe) and i do believe a couple of accidental discharges. So the sign is more for the customers of that type. It is nothing unusual to find me in the store having coffee shooting the breeze ocing my 1911 in condition 1. The no cell phone use is he is like me and alot of others that it is poor manners and just plain rude to use a cell phone while trying to conduct business.When i worked at bass pro part time i refused to wait on customers on cell phones, and the manger backed me. The older man you saw ocing a revolver was the owner.If you talk to him you will find he is as far from anti as you can get. It comes down to a safety issue and good manners issue.

If it were true that he were pro then he would give a safety lesson and encourage citizens arming themselves. The local store said the same thing, and they have a sign but it is for guns coming in for repair or being handled must be unloaded. People OCing are welcome, in fact they said that they don't want you handling your gun (unless necassary) because it might go off.

As it is the policy would induce me not to go there.

Dictating manners is a nice thought but isn't going to happen.

Gunsmoke

Retail Business.

"1000YDSHOOTER" 'bout said it all.

FireArms Sales Co, LLC, Ivor, VA has been in business (30) years come 2012.

We are sorry Lincoln7 was offended by our store policy.

Had he taken a few seconds to read the large Red & White sign on the Green entrance door before entering he would have been aware of the [B]"No Loaded Guns Inside & No Cell Phone Use Inside"! [/B]

Let me explain: We have had a discharge in the store because of "careless" handling by a customer of his "unloaded" firearm. Had he "unloaded his firearm outside before bringing it in there would not have been an incident inside. Fortunately no one was injured. All it takes is for someone to be injured or killed & the lawyers descend like the plague. So no more loaded firearms in the store! Plus liability insurance for the firearms business is way high without having accidents.

As for the cell phone policy: Those in the firearms & other retail businesses will probably have a better understanding of this than those that are not & have never been robbed.

We attend the yearly seminars sponsored by the ATF & the State Police. Following are some comments from those seminars:

"With the proliferation of cell phones with cameras & smart phones it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what the brighter criminals are up to. Many folks that appear to be talking on their phones are in fact either taking pictures or videoing your store layout & security systen for a later visit! Some financial institutions now require you to remove your hat & sunglasses upon entering so their security cameras can get a better picture in case of an incident." So NO cell phone use in the store.

Lincoln7's friend thought some prices were on the high side. He also mentioned they were only in the store for less than (1) min. During that limited time I only saw him looking at the consignment firearms.

You need to be aware that consigned firearms are those brought in by customers to be sold. The owners of these firearms set the prices on the guns, NOT us. Some owners have a tendency to put a Retail Price on a used firearm. At that point two things usually happen; when the firearm doesn't sell, the customer will either lower the price or come pick his or her firearm up.

Please note that my comments are NOT an attempt to change anyone's opinion, just an effort to give anyone interested a better understanding of our policy related to: "No Loaded Guns In The Store & No Cell Phone Use Inside"

I don't hide behind "Handles" or "Avatars".

My name is Richard R Harris & I'm the owner of FireArms Sales Co,LLC
I also served in the US Army, '65-'68, like millions of others throughout history protecting your & my rights & our way of life.

We can be reached at: 1-866-869-GUNS (4867)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well...welcome to the site! The gun policy is a bad one but as I've often said, private property and private business have a perfect right to make any policy they want. Greentops which has had several ND's, has been in business longer than 30 years has had several ND's and the store policy is, keep it in your holster. Recently they had an employee running off OC'ers. Management quickly set him straight.
Bass Pro had at least one ND and the policy is still unchanged.

The bottom line is, you have and will lose business, especially now that the policy has been posted and your business has been flagged as anti. The question is...how much will you lose? Probably not enough to cripple the company but, "Times is hard these Days".

The cell phone policy is inconsequential but stupid. The State Police should stick to tagging speeders and leave the cloak and dagger stuff to Stan Lee.

To detract from the good explanation you made, very few here have secret lives and hide behind our avatars. We have user names just as you do now, but with a little looking, we even post pictures. That remark was insulting and intended to be so.

I was an FFL for a number of years, as a Smith rather than retail, but I'm still aware of the problems you face. Such is life. The customer is either right or he isn't a customer anymore.

Last edited:

Red Dawg

So, Mr Harris, how do you feel about the Virginia tuck then? Out of sight out of mind? Can't see it, it's okay?
Glad I live at the beach, and have the Armory, and even, **shudder**, Wal-mart...for guns and supplies.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Of all the gun shops we have here in town I know of only one that has a no loaded guns policy for firearms even kept in holsters. In the year and a half it's been open I've visited once, only because they had a range and I needed to break in a gun in a short time span and didin't have time to go to the hunt club. That will likely be the only visit they ever get from me. Places that ask me to unload my firearm and handle it unnecessarily when it would be happy in its holster will generally not get my business. There are too many other places that have no problem with it at all.

TFred

Thanks for coming here and explaining your policy.

Your explanation will change no minds, and as others have hinted, congratulations on running such a successful business that you can afford to alienate customers.

Your policy makes about as much sense as running a car dealership that prohibits customers from driving onto the lot because there are car accidents.

You have justified it in your mind, no amount of evidence or reason on an internet message forum will change your mind. And no amount of meaningless justification will convince anyone to change their mind in support of your decision either.

TFred

ETA: You know this scenario is EXACTLY like any other Gun Free Zone. If you're going to have a sign up to "fix" your perceived problem, why don't you just use a sign that addresses the problem directly? "Loaded guns must remain HOLSTERED at all times." People are either going to obey your sign or they're not. Why not ask them to do what you really want, without offending the RKBA folks?

Last edited:

Felix

Appreciate Richard Harris joining up and explaining his store policy but I'm not buying into the explanation given by him and 1000yd. Quite frankly, it's pretty lame IMO and I certainly won't be visiting the store. Thebigsd had the most rational solution (Signage: "Do not un-holster loaded firearms") which is a good compromise between an attempt at avoiding NDs while not requiring lawful OC customers to disarm. Naturally, neither of these individuals chose to address that suggestion.

Old Virginia Joe

"1000YDSHOOTER" 'bout said it all.

I thought I knew what is implied by "been in business (30) tears" but please explain. I've had my home in Ivor since 1991, and until the last few years, durn if I ever heard of this business, when it moved into the newish/old Barlow auto garage building. Been a hunter/shooter since about 1974, also Army Vet. Where were you hiding in "Ivor?"

Dan0076

I thought I knew what is implied by "been in business (30) tears" but please explain. I've had my home in Ivor since 1991, and until the last few years, durn if I ever heard of this business, when it moved into the newish/old Barlow auto garage building. Been a hunter/shooter since about 1974, also Army Vet. Where were you hiding in "Ivor?"

I was reading this thread the other day and didn't realize it was in Ivor until I read this post. I travel 460 whenever I go to Richmond or N. VA and when I go to Air Field Shooting Club. I've always wanted to stop but just haven't made the time. This thread has changed my mind, I don't want to stop there anymore.

Old Virginia Joe

Just so you all know, there is another gun shop in Ivor town. It is called Guns and Guitars, and is "downtown" on the main street that crosses the railroad tracks just down from the stop light at the furniture store. It is an old, small, free standing old brick building by the tracks. Barred doors out front. I bought some cases of ammo from him before, at what I thought was a fair price. Let's check him out, and see what his policy is. I cannot remember . . . .

Lincoln7

Just so you all know, there is another gun shop in Ivor town. It is called Guns and Guitars, and is "downtown" on the main street that crosses the railroad tracks just down from the stop light at the furniture store. It is an old, small, free standing old brick building by the tracks. Barred doors out front. I bought some cases of ammo from him before, at what I thought was a fair price. Let's check him out, and see what his policy is. I cannot remember . . . .

My original post for this thread states that I went there right before I went to Firearms LLC. He had no issues with me OCing there and his prices were quite good. Unfortunately his inventory did not contain anything on my immediate wishlist. I shall return...