• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina Purchase Permit Questions

tim12232

So, I am filling out my application for the pistol purchase permit for the first time, and I have a couple of questions about 2 questions on the application.
_____A. Have you ever been arrested?
If “yes” list offense(s) _____________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

_____B. Have you ever been convicted in any court of any crime?
If “yes”, list offense(s) _____________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A. So I have been arrested, but it was a number of years ago, for driving in a state I used to live in, and didnt realize I had missed paying a ticket.
Will I be denied for just answering yes to this or not?

B. Im not sure about this? what constitutes a crime? the above "driving after a suspended license"? What about moving violations over the years, those could again technically be called crimes as well?

I want to be truthful, yet I dont want someone just seeing YES and stamping a no on my application. I have never had violent crimes of any type, or felonies of any type. For me any law trouble ive had has always been me driving dumb:lol:

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Tim

Carry24/7

So, I am filling out my application for the pistol purchase permit for the first time, and I have a couple of questions about 2 questions on the application.
If “yes” list offense(s) _____________________________________________________________________________________

If “yes”, list offense(s) _____________________________________________________________________________________

A. So I have been arrested, but it was a number of years ago, for driving in a state I used to live in, and didnt realize I had missed paying a ticket.

B. Im not sure about this? what constitutes a crime? the above "driving after a suspended license"? What about moving violations over the years, those could again technically be called crimes as well?

I want to be truthful, yet I dont want someone just seeing YES and stamping a no on my application. I have never had violent crimes of any type, or felonies of any type. For me any law trouble ive had has always been me driving dumb:lol:

Tim

I would answer the questions truthfully. You don't want to get rejected for not telling the truth and could have passed if you told the truth. I don't think they will hold traffic things against you but I'm sure they will hold a lie against you.

Smith45acp

I HATE when forms ask if you've ever been arrested. WTF does it mean if you have been? Who cares???

For the record I hated this question even before I had ever been arrested ;)

nobama

Didnt hurt me any, even for my chp. I guess it all depends what for. I dont think they will deny one for some stupid stuff or minor offence. Just tell the truth.

tim12232

Thanks guys! Thats what I was thinking, and I wasnt really considering telling a lie, but as you guys stated, its such a stupid question:banghead:.

If you guys can maybe chime in on this for too?

I just got my NC drivers license today! the paper one, as I wait for my hard copy to come in the mail.
Can I take that with a photo ID down to the sheriffs dept and start the application process or do they want the plastic card?

Thanks again everyone!

Tim

spiderjohn

I HATE when forms ask if you've ever been arrested. WTF does it mean if you have been? Who cares???

For the record I hated this question even before I had ever been arrested ;)

What I hate is the question about psychiatric help...I mean...does that include counseling? Or just like mental institution type psychiatric? Sure I've had counseling to get through a divorce and some other rough spots but nothing major. I said 'no'.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Tim, they are asking the mental question to see if you've ever been instatutionalized or found to be legally mentaly unstable. Voluntary marriage counciling won't count against you. As for the question about being arrested, they are looking for violent personal/physycal assault convictions. They won't blink at you're unpaid ticket.

TrailRunner

Just tell the truth, and use the lines below to explain it. It *might* take a little bit more time to process it, but it shouldn't be an issue.

cricketdad

Tim

I agree with the others. Tell the truth. I was arrested years ago for speeding. Hasn't stopped me from getting anything.

M

mattwestm

Thanks guys! Thats what I was thinking, and I wasnt really considering telling a lie, but as you guys stated, its such a stupid question:banghead:.

If you guys can maybe chime in on this for too?

I just got my NC drivers license today! the paper one, as I wait for my hard copy to come in the mail.
Can I take that with a photo ID down to the sheriffs dept and start the application process or do they want the plastic card?

Thanks again everyone!

Tim

No idea on that one. They aren't as strict for the purchase permits than the are for the CHP. Be aware that some counties want you to be a resident for a certain amount of time before they will process a concealed handgun permit. I don't think they have the same requirement for PPPs. In Wake County, I don't think I had to show my ID until the permits were ready to be picked up. In Pitt County, you must show in order to get an app and also to pick up.

Last edited:

rwm4192

When I first went and applied for my PPP I had only been living in this county for a few months and the sheriff did deny me because of this. I waited till I got my actual license. Didn't really answer your question just wanted to let you know to not be discouraged if you are denied. I only lived a county over for years and then moved to this county so I was discouraged. Your sheriff may not do that but just letting you know that it is possible. Thats the thing with PPP a sheriff can deny for basically any reason, however, as I was told when I asked about this, with a CCP NC is a right to issue state and they have to have a valid reason to deny. Just something to think about.

tim12232

Well, I filled out everything "told the truth" and gave them ten dollars for 2 permits. I DO already have my NC drivers license which the lady made a copy of at the Sheriffs Dept. and then sent me on my way. Now I wrote on the application that I have lived here for about two and half months, which is true, but my license is really only about a week old or so. Anyone have any idea if it really takes 30 days for them to issue the permits? I would be real pissed off if they took my 10 dollars and then said, "oh your license isnt 30 days old, please reapply in a few weeks" I feel if were denied, we should get our monies back.

Thanks

Tim

moonie

The time it takes to do the checks depends on the County, most tell you a week and hit it. I actually got one in Randolph county once, filled out the paper work and said I'd be back in a week, the lady told me they would have them ready in an hour, I waited...left in 45 minutes with both permits.

Davidson County is 5 business days currently.

cricketdad

The time it takes to do the checks depends on the County, most tell you a week and hit it. I actually got one in Randolph county once, filled out the paper work and said I'd be back in a week, the lady told me they would have them ready in an hour, I waited...left in 45 minutes with both permits.

Davidson County is 5 business days currently.

Cumberland County usually takes 5 days also.

tim12232

mecklenburg's website actually says 30 days but that was at the beginning of the year, so I did not know if thats the norm now or what?
Seems like most other counties get it done very quick, where here in Charlotte....not so much.
I was glad, they said I could just use the last 4 of my ssn, because I really didnt want all of it just being seen by whomever!

Tim

ArmySoldier22

mecklenburg's website actually says 30 days but that was at the beginning of the year, so I did not know if thats the norm now or what?
Seems like most other counties get it done very quick, where here in Charlotte....not so much.
I was glad, they said I could just use the last 4 of my ssn, because I really didnt want all of it just being seen by whomever!

Tim

I got mine at the beginning of the year, and I was in there less than half an hour. It probably takes a little longer than this normally, but the gun shop i was buying from knew somebody down there, so I had it less than an hour later. I can't really imagine it taking much more than a few days though. There aren't that many people buying guns to warrant a 30 day wait.

dmatting

There aren't that many people buying guns to warrant a 30 day wait.

In many cases it has zero to do with clerical work load and everything to do with keeping you from having that permit until their time limit runs out. I doubt very seriously that it took a full 90 days to process my CHP, but Durham County makes everyone wait until the maximum time specified in the law.

ArmySoldier22

In many cases it has zero to do with clerical work load and everything to do with keeping you from having that permit until their time limit runs out. I doubt very seriously that it took a full 90 days to process my CHP, but Durham County makes everyone wait until the maximum time specified in the law.

It's kinda sad that our system feels the need to do things like that. And then wonders why we have a problem with the way things currently are