• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina Purchase Permit Questions

cricketdad

I got mine at the beginning of the year, and I was in there less than half an hour. It probably takes a little longer than this normally, but the gun shop i was buying from knew somebody down there, so I had it less than an hour later. I can't really imagine it taking much more than a few days though. There aren't that many people buying guns to warrant a 30 day wait.

You might be surprised at how many are buying guns.

ArmySoldier22

You might be surprised at how many are buying guns.

I'm sure there's a lot, but I just can't see there being enough for a 30 day wait lol. Especially when the actual process takes like 30 minutes. I'm sure they get backed up at times and it might take a week or even two, and Mecklenburgh county isn't exactly small, but I don't think there's quite THAT many lol. But hey, I could be wrong. There could be a line down at the Sheriffs office backed out the door everyday now.

cricketdad

I'm sure there's a lot, but I just can't see there being enough for a 30 day wait lol. Especially when the actual process takes like 30 minutes. I'm sure they get backed up at times and it might take a week or even two, and Mecklenburgh county isn't exactly small, but I don't think there's quite THAT many lol. But hey, I could be wrong. There could be a line down at the Sheriffs office backed out the door everyday now.

Had (shooting club) a meeting a few months ago with the sheriff of Cumberland County. He said last year they issued well over 8000 permits to purchase. That over 150 a week. In addition to that you have to add in the conceal carry permits that are issued. The same department also does background checks for employment. Smaller counties probably don't have that kind of work load. So a 5 day turn around here isn't too bad.

ArmySoldier22

Had (shooting club) a meeting a few months ago with the sheriff of Cumberland County. He said last year they issued well over 8000 permits to purchase. That over 150 a week. In addition to that you have to add in the conceal carry permits that are issued. The same department also does background checks for employment. Smaller counties probably don't have that kind of work load. So a 5 day turn around here isn't too bad.

I didn't know the same department did employment background checks. That alone would be enough to keep them busy for weeks at a time

tim12232

well thanks everyone for your help! I just got back from the mailbox and I received the letter saying they were ready for pick up and If I want bring extra money for up to 3 more! "I paid for 2"

So monday I will go down first thing and grab them, then try to figure out if I want the sig p229 e2, glock 19, HK p30 or FNX 9!!!! Decisions Decisions!!!

Tim