• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ FAQ for LEO's. Am I missing something?

xd40 neenah

View attachment LE CCW FAQ 8.1.11.pdf

If this is not the first time this is posted, I am sorry I have not seen this. I got this from a LEO friend of mine.

"20. Can a citizen transport a concealed, loaded, unsheathed, handgun in his her vehicle?
Yes. A person with a CCW license can carry a concealed weapon in their car though a long gun must still be loaded and unsheathed. Under the new law, even a person without a CCW license can carry a handgun or load a handgun in his/her vehicle, so long as the weapon is not concealed, meaning that the weapon is not within reach. However firearms, other than handguns, still must be unloaded and sheathed in a vehicle, whether the person is a CCW license holder or not. 167.31(2)"

The not within reach thing is still got me upset. Does that mean I have to take it out of one holster on my belt and move it to another and put it in the back seat of my sedan? What?! I can still reach the dash, the passenger seat and the like. This takes all the guessing out of what the DOJ means by car carry without a license.

bmwguy11

I thought that ANYWHERE inside a vehicle is considered concealed in wisconsin, even if it's sitting on the dashboard or the front seat or back seat? Or is that what we are trying to get clarification from the AG on. As it reads now, to me it sounds like if you don't have a permit the weapon cannot be in reach anywhere in your vehicle. :(

BROKENSPROKET

I thought that ANYWHERE inside a vehicle is considered concealed in wisconsin, even if it's sitting on the dashboard or the front seat or back seat? Or is that what we are trying to get clarification from the AG on. As it reads now, to me it sounds like if you don't have a permit the weapon cannot be in reach anywhere in your vehicle. :(

What we are trying to get clarification from teh AG is if a handgun in an open carry holster on the belt insided a vehilce would or would not be considered concealed. On the dash cannot be concealed because it is clearly not hidden from view.

Outdoorsman1

New subject = new discussion

What about this....

12. Can law enforcement ask a CCW license holder to produce his weapon and then seize it during the length of the contact?

Law enforcement may develop policies and procedures for traffic stops and field investigations, which incorporate dealing with the concealed carry issue. Law enforcement has a right to keep the contact as safe as possible so long as they do not violate a subject’s constitutional rights. There is a difference between identifying the weapon and taking steps to neutralize it during the contact (largely permissible)and using the fact that a person is a CCW license holder as an automatic justification for a frisk (largely impermissible). .

I see where it says "As they do not violate a subject's constitutional rights"... but

taking steps to neutralize it during the contact (largely permissible)....????????

Outdoorsman1

bmwguy11

What about this....

I see where it says "As they do not violate a subject's constitutional rights"... but

taking steps to neutralize it during the contact (largely permissible)....????????

Outdoorsman1
Realize though, that it is referring to LEGAL contact. Like, a lawful stop meaning you either did something wrong or they have RAS, or you were pulled over speeding, etc. If you are merely walking around pick n save, they technically can't just disarm you because you were OC'ing. They need RAS.

That said, if that happened to me, I'd just let the officer do it, as that is not the time or place to discuss the letter of the law. And I'll be honest, even if the officer did do that, but was otherwise courteous and friendly and didn't give me any other grief, I really wouldn't make a case out of it. But that's me.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

We should all write Assistant Attorney General Dave Perlman and thank him for opening Law Enforcement Agencies up to lawsuits by giving them an inadequate definition of 'concealed' in paragraph 20. Not that he or the DOJ would be liable because they included a disclaimer.

Outdoorsman1

Realize though, that it is referring to LEGAL contact. Like, a lawful stop meaning you either did something wrong or they have RAS, or you were pulled over speeding, etc. If you are merely walking around pick n save, they technically can't just disarm you because you were OC'ing. They need RAS.

That said, if that happened to me, I'd just let the officer do it, as that is not the time or place to discuss the letter of the law. And I'll be honest, even if the officer did do that, but was otherwise courteous and friendly and didn't give me any other grief, I really wouldn't make a case out of it. But that's me.

or you were pulled over speeding,

So basically, if I am pulled over for speeding, busted tail light, brake lights not working, expired plates, etc, etc, the LEO can legally disarm me..??? I suppose it would depend on the circumstances at the time... If I am doing nothing wrong (other than above), am polite, and friendly, then the LEO would not see the need to disarm. As on one of my encounters with LEO, after he determined I was carrying in my vehilce legally (unloaded and cased), he allowed me to load my firearm and holster it in his presence as I was on my way into the gorcery store that allows open carry....

but was otherwise courteous and friendly and didn't give me any other grief, I really wouldn't make a case out of it.

As I have stated in other posts, I am also a beleiver in responding to an LEO based on how they engage me...as in above quote, but if I was doing absoulutley nothing wrong other than a mere traffic stop I would at least question the nessesity to be disarmed...

Edited To Add: ..

as that is not the time or place to discuss the letter of the law.

If done correctly (as discribed above), that would be the EXACT time and place to discuss the letter of the law...

Just Sayin...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

littlewolf

What part of OPEN on the HIP is confusing everybody ?
It is concealed when you intentionally hide it. Think about it the only thing you can see from outside a vehicle is junk hanging from the mirror and your GPS on the dash or windshield, if you don't have tinted windows of course.
I believe the new DC changes also cover this problem stating you can carry , load, unload, without being subject to any penalties unless you are in progress of committing some sort of crime.I think that is also the reason Sen. Galloway said it was OK to OC in your vehicle after July 25th when certain portions of Act 35 became effective.

paul@paul-fisher.com

What part of OPEN on the HIP is confusing everybody ?
It is concealed when you intentionally hide it. Think about it the only thing you can see from outside a vehicle is junk hanging from the mirror and your GPS on the dash or windshield, if you don't have tinted windows of course.
I believe the new DC changes also cover this problem stating you can carry , load, unload, without being subject to any penalties unless you are in progress of committing some sort of crime.I think that is also the reason Sen. Galloway said it was OK to OC in your vehicle after July 25th when certain portions of Act 35 became effective.

Galloway was wrong. Instead of re-hashing this, please read this whole thread. Basically, unless you have your firearm out of reach, it will have to be visible from a distance (on the dash) or you will be violating 941.23 if you don't have a permit.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Once Again This Makes No Sense.

Snip: "Under the new law, even a person without a CCW license can carry a handgun or load a handgun in his/her vehicle, so long as the weapon is not concealed, meaning that the weapon is not within reach. However firearms, other than handguns, still must be unloaded and sheathed in a vehicle, whether the person is a CCW license holder or not. 167.31(2)"

Either the sentence above was written by a complete Moron OR it was written to purposely confuse officers and the public as to what a "concealed" weapon is. Once again, how can we "carry a handgun or load a handgun in his/her vehicle" without a CCW license if it is NOT WITHIN REACH?!?!

There are other incorrect "answers" in this FAQ's for LEO. I haven't read through it all yet but look at question 21 about electric weapons. Question 21 states that if you do NOT have a CCW license you cannot possess an electric weapon. That is simply not true.

Here is what it should state: Are there other persons who can legally carry an electric weapon?
Yes. In addition to licensees and out-of-state licensees, peace officers, correctional officers and armed forces/national guard personnel while on official duty, manufacturers and sellers to authorized persons and a common carrier may also carry electric weapons. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(2)(a) to (e).

And: Can I carry an electric weapon concealed if I do not have a CCW license?
If you are not specifically allowed to carry an electric weapon (see above) you are only allowed to carry an electric weapon in your own dwelling or place of business or on land that you own, lease, or legally occupy. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(2g). You may also transport the weapon if it is enclosed within a carrying case. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(2r). The possession or carrying of an electric weapon in any other situations is a felony. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(1m).

And: Can a qualified out-of-state law enforcement officer or former law enforcement officer carry an electric weapon?
No. The statute does not provide an exception for an out-of-state law enforcement officer or former law enforcement officer. However, the exceptions for possessing on a dwelling or place of business or on land that such a person owns, leases, or legally occupies apply as does the exception for transporting (see below).

And: A person who is not a licensee may only transport an electric weapon if it is enclosed within a carrying case. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(2r).

Another thing of interest to those Wisconsin residents interested in obtaining an "Electric Weapon": Under Wisconsin law you CAN possess it (as mentioned above) with OR without a Wisconsin CCW but you can NOT purchase an electric weapon of any kind IN WISCONSIN unless you HAVE a CCW.

This is from the CCW FAQ's PDF: Is it unlawful to sell or manufacture electric weapons in Wisconsin?
A person may manufacture and sell electric weapons to authorized persons which includes a peace officer, armed forces or national guard personnel while on official duty or a person with a Wisconsin CCW license or out-of-state CCW licensee. In other words, electric weapons cannot be sold to persons in Wisconsin who are not law enforcement, armed forces on official duty or persons without a recognized out-of-state CCW license or a Wisconsin CCW license. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(2)(d). A violation of this statute is a felony. Wis. Stat. § 941.295(1m).

gdyslin

Seems pretty straight forward to me? If handgun is loaded, not cased and NOT within reach it is concealed. If it is within reach i.e. on your hip, on seat next to you etc it is fine is how this reads.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Seems pretty straight forward to me? If handgun is loaded, not cased and NOT within reach it is concealed. If it is within reach i.e. on your hip, on seat next to you etc it is fine is how this reads.

Huh????? Can you explain your explanation by using actual quotes in the law or case law?

xd40 neenah

sorry guys

seems like i opened a can of worms and when doing so, it exploded. So is the general consensus that the DOJ posted and is distributing false facts to the public and, more disturbing, LEOs? If this is true, how do we alert LEO's and the DOJ of this?

ETA:
I would like to thank those supporting their opinions and interpetations with quotes. Specificly Paul, Brokensprocket, Rowdy, and Outdoorsman. Thanks again.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

So how does one load a firearm in a vehicle and yet maintain the firearm out of reach?

Please understand I am NOT defending the asinine law, however, to do that, you would need to keep the firearm in plain view from area around the vehicle, so, without a permit, the firearm can't be below the bottom of the window if it is within reach, if you follow the 3 prong test.