• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tank Farm open house OC?

Blk97F150

Anyone attended in previous years and know if they have any issue on OC?
Have gotten an invite for this weekend... anyone else going?

I should be there w/family. Not sure what day yet... we have a TON of other stuff on the schedule for this weekend!

I CC'd there last year and don't recall seeing any signs/postings about firearms. I did not see any OC'ers there during my visit.

In case anyone doesn't know.... this is what we are talking about:
http://www.nmaw.org/events/

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Not sure about the Tank Farm event, but if you're heading up that way, there's an air show and hot air balloon festival in Bealeton that we are going to and you might be interested in.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Not sure about the Tank Farm event, but if you're heading up that way, there's an air show and hot air balloon festival in Bealeton that we are going to and you might be interested in.

Went to the air show today. Very grateful that bnkrazy mentioned it. Can't OC due to medical reasons, but kept looking for others who were.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I was there with the family but CC'd because it wasn't the only stop today. Missed the actual airshow. Got there around 5:30 this evening and watched 8-12 balloons take off. Plenty of planes flying around as well. Pretty cool event. I'm gonna try and figure out how to get a ride next year. Seemed like all the balloons were spoken for ahead of time...maybe people set up a flight earlier in the day and then met them back at a certain time. Was a fun time.

Sorry about your foot...hope it heals up soon.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I was there with the family but CC'd because it wasn't the only stop today. Missed the actual airshow. Got there around 5:30 this evening and watched 8-12 balloons take off. Plenty of planes flying around as well. Pretty cool event. I'm gonna try and figure out how to get a ride next year. Seemed like all the balloons were spoken for ahead of time...maybe people set up a flight earlier in the day and then met them back at a certain time. Was a fun time.

At 4, they still had several balloons with empty seats, and were making announcements. Rides were $200/person, though.

We'll be going back next year too. The airshow was wonderful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
$200 a person isn't terrible, but I think I'll probably try and get a bi-plane ride to get some shots of the balloons in flight next year.

Here's a link to a few I got this year. http://clickhappyphoto.smugmug.com/Events/Bealton-Hot-Air-Balloon/18655323_pZTRrX#1442018767_ZqrFdC6

It's a shame you couldn't have OC'ed but at least you could carry there.
Good pictures. Next time you might want to try using a polarizer. There are a lot of wispy clouds in the background and ti would drop you two stops for better color saturation and give the clouds more body with bluer sky.

I always remember that after I leave the filter at home:lol:

Last edited:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I have a couple ND filters I use to kill ambient or for long exposures sometimes, but I haven't gotten around to picking up a CP that fits my larger lenses yet.

And, I probably would have OC'd if I had thought about it, but my CCW holster is pretty comfortable so I'm not always reminded it's there. I used to get reminded with an older holster and it would prompt me to switch back to OCing ASAP. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a couple ND filters I use to kill ambient or for long exposures sometimes, but I haven't gotten around to picking up a CP that fits my larger lenses yet.

And, I probably would have OC'd if I had thought about it, but my CCW holster is pretty comfortable so I'm not always reminded it's there. I used to get reminded with an older holster and it would prompt me to switch back to OCing ASAP. :)

All my filters are 77mm which fits my largest L lens. I use step down rings to use it on all the rest.