• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medical Marihuana & CPL?

budlight

Here is my two cents. We have laws in place that state you cannot carry/possess a firearm under the influence of alcohol. These laws were put in place because alcohol impairs judgment which can lead to poor decisions in the handling and or use of a firearm. We also don’t see many pro gun supporters trying to abolish these laws as most will say it makes sense. Given the fact that marijuana can also impair people’s judgment, whether legally or illegally used, what is the difference?

stainless1911

Banned
The difference is apples to oranges, no, more like popcorn.

One problem is, you can be high for 4 hours, then completely sober, but test positive for over a month. The .gov considers you high the whole time. With alcohol, you are drunk for a couple hours, come down, and can blow zero. Its easy to check for alcohol intoxication.

The intoxicants have a completely different effect in every aspect. I wouldnt drive drunk, because it is unsafe to do. Being high is a different ballgame. Same with firearms, I wouldnt go to the range drunk, COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

There is a difference.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Doooooooooooooooh!

If it were legal, or if it were a part of an organized anti prohibition conference of some sort, sure. I could take and pass a drug test , even a surprise one, at any time.

Please Stainless,

Stop posting in this thread, as it will surely lead to at minimum. a flaming of your back side and at maximum legal action against you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws

There is a time for silence, this is one of them.

Carry-On!

:)

Last edited:

budlight

The difference is apples to oranges, no, more like popcorn.

One problem is, you can be high for 4 hours, then completely sober, but test positive for over a month. The .gov considers you high the whole time. With alcohol, you are drunk for a couple hours, come down, and can blow zero. Its easy to check for alcohol intoxication.

The intoxicants have a completely different effect in every aspect. I wouldnt drive drunk, because it is unsafe to do. Being high is a different ballgame. Same with firearms, I wouldnt go to the range drunk, COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate There is a difference.

I understand that marijuana stays in your system a lot longer then its actual affects. So I understand that if someone legally used it this morning, tonight they wouldn’t actually be under the influence of it, but a chemical test would show otherwise thus prohibiting them from carrying/possessing a firearm.

What I don’t understand is why you think it’s ok to be “high” and carry/possess or in your quote use a firearm at the range. If that is not a safety issue, why is having a couple of drinks a big deal? In my opinion being “under the influence” means what ever substance you ingested has the ability to alter/impair your judgment, thus creating a safety issue to yourself and others around you.

Last edited:

griffin

I aint putting nothing in my mouth that has hair on it!
Low lying fruit, I'm not biting.

leaving.gif

griffin

I know a couple people that have a medical marihuana license and a CPL license. What if any kind of issues do you think that will have?
According to the BATFE, people with medical marijuana cards cannot purchase firearms or ammunition, and in fact cannot possess firearms or ammunition.

Here is the recent BATFE letter to FFLs.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2...all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf

Here's the last paragraph (edited):

Therefore, any person who uses...marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user...and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition...As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11.e. on ATF Form 4473.

In fact, you do not technically even have to be a marijuana user. Just the fact you possess a medical marijuana card disqualifies you from possessing firearms and ammunition.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

The only thing I espouse is Constitutional government.

‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’
-Charles Austin Beard

Good luck with that.

Actually, yes. Hemp food products are very good for you, especially the seeds. You would be amazed to do a little research on the health benefits and nutritional content of the food products, especially those derived from the seeds.

Im really not talking about the products that are intended to get you high.

Look its pretty clear, if you get caught with weed and a gun that equals felony, and a felony is forever. Each person needs to make the choice of which is more important, weed or there gun rights.

I respect both arguments that weed can help certain people. I also know it is a federal offense to use and own guns. I don't use weed and make sure its not around me or my rights. I wouln't use it if it were legal anyway. I guess my point if there is one is that its more of a risk for anyone who has a firearm than a benefit. Suppose you have one of those legal weed cards and had to use your gun to defend yourself. You shoot could be above board but since your
'addicted" to weed you go to prison.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
This thread seems vaguely familiar... I think I've seen it somewhere before. Actually, the MIB is here, maybe the two threads that have 1) talked about the Medical Marijuana/BATF issue and MIB's statements as to the constitutionality of various laws have formed a "hybrid-post"? OK, just kidding, carry on...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What I don’t understand is why you think it’s ok to be “high” and carry/possess or in your quote use a firearm at the range. If that is not a safety issue, why is having a couple of drinks a big deal? In my opinion being “under the influence” means what ever substance you ingested has the ability to alter/impair your judgment, thus creating a safety issue to yourself and others around you.

It may just be that your opinion doesn't correlate with reality.

There is no comparison in the degree of "impairment", even for only a couple of drinks. Stainless is right when he speaks of apples and oranges. For example, alcohol has physiological effects to which one may become accustomed only to a limited degree (I'm talking about mental accustomization, rather that physical dependence). This is untrue (or drastically less true) with marijuana.

That is to say, the perceived effects of marijuana are far more dependent on mental accustomization (experience). With alcohol, once you've reached a certain point of consumption relative to your physical tolerance, you will suffer objective impairment of normal ability. There is no degree of "experience" which renders this untrue, lending some (flimsy) justifiability to arbitrary quantification of impairment based on consumption (e.g. BAC). This cannot be said for marijuana.

Plenty of research to back that up.

This is why it is ridiculous to define "impaired" as anything at all, absent concrete evidence of, you know, "impairment", such as an inability to coordinate or to react normally.

It's ridiculous to declare someone "impaired" if you cannot show actual impairment, as defined by a significant reduction in ability compared to statistical norms as well as the individual baseline.

Alcohol is indeed impairing (for most people) after "only a couple of drinks", by this objective standard. Marijuana may or may not be, depending on the user and, of course, the quantity consumed.

Not to mention that there are individuals who are not objectively or demonstrably "impaired" after those fabled "couple of drinks", thanks to physical tolerance. But, hey, we'll all be killed by idiots if government doesn't legislate for the lowest common denominator, right? Thank god we have our benevolent dictator-parent to keep us all in line, and make us safe. :uhoh:

Last edited:

jeremy05

Here is my question about this. Who is going to enforce this? Is it going to be the local PD? Federal? Just wondering, cause if its on a Local level, I bet they are going to have a field day arresting people under felony charges for having a firearm and Weed card.

If its being left to the Federal LEOs other than being denied purchasing new guns, Assuming that a Weed Card gets reported from the state to the Federal gov, they are not going to enforce it. IMO

griffin

Here is my question about this. Who is going to enforce this?

If its being left to the Federal LEOs other than being denied purchasing new guns, Assuming that a Weed Card gets reported from the state to the Federal gov, they are not going to enforce it.
The state is already enforcing it regarding CPL issuance. The feds are looking into providers now. They will not commit to leaving end users alone.

"any person who uses...marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user...and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition."

If you have an MML, you've just given the fed a reason to confiscate your firearms.

Last edited:

jeremy05

So do people need to sell their guns or give up their weed and grow up?

yeah I'm not a fan of mml, I go back and forth on how I feel, but people clearly abuse it. I can't believe that smoking anything is good for you, if people need the THC take the pill. I digress personally I see smoking anything is a waste of money. Not being able to quit smoking is just a display of a lack of willpower, and a show of weakness.

scot623

Three major state appeals court decisions have gone against them in the last month. Now, federal authorities have issued an order that licensed medical-marijuana users nationwide can't possess a gun.

That means no hunting, no target shooting, no gun collecting and no guns for personal protection -- even by patients who legally cultivate marijuana crops -- according to a Sept. 21 directive to prosecutors nationwide from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

http://www.freep.com/article/201110...n-U-S-says?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE