• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What states will honor WI Resident Permits?

BROKENSPROKET

I know that we won't really know for sure until November 1, 2011.

I am asking if you would speculate which states will honor a WI Resident Permit and why.

I'll start.

Iowa - USACarry already has them picked
Michigan - they honor the resident permits of all states that issue permits.

So, how about Colorado and South Carolina?

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Many States Won't Accept Our License Because We Do NOT Require Live Fire

I doubt Florida will accept a Wisconsin license since we do not require live fire. My guess is those states that have live fire in their training will reciprocate but others will not. I am fairly certain Florida requires live fire training (been a long time since I got my Florida license so I am not certain).

Last edited:

c45man

I doubt Florida will accept a Wisconsin license since we do not require live fire. My guess is those states that have live fire in their training will accept reciprocate but others will not. I am fairly certain Florida requires live fire training (been a long time since I got my Florida license so I am not certain).

Florida does not have live fire requirements for recognition of other states. Pennsylvania does not have a live fire requirement, but they were able to obtain a reciprocal agreement with the sunshine state.

Someone on the thread mentioned South Carolina which has a live fire requirement and will only enter into reciprocal agreements with states that have the same standards and requirements. Carry activists are attempting to have legislation passed that will require South Carolina to recognize any out of state permit. It has happened yet.

cb5300

I doubt Florida will accept a Wisconsin license since we do not require live fire. My guess is those states that have live fire in their training will accept reciprocate but others will not. I am fairly certain Florida requires live fire training (been a long time since I got my Florida license so I am not certain).

Why wouldn't it??? Florida accepts Virginia, and Utah, and neither of those states require a live fire test.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I doubt Florida will accept a Wisconsin license since we do not require live fire. My guess is those states that have live fire in their training will reciprocate but others will not. I am fairly certain Florida requires live fire training (been a long time since I got my Florida license so I am not certain).

Florida does not require live-fire training. Here is the cite.

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06

BROKENSPROKET

I was I was looking at states that do not honor a Non-Resident Florida Permit, and I see that states like Michigan, Colorado and South Carolina only honor Resident Permits.

South Carolina is a Shall Issue Resident/Non-Resident Permit state, so if they did not honor Wisconsin Resident Permit, I could just get a South Carolina Non-Resident Permit. The same with Nevada.

Michigan and Colorado only issue permits to residents and will only honor Resident Permits for other states. Michigan honors all Out of State Resident Permits and Colorado honors Resident Permits of 29 states, so I hope there is a good chance Colorado will honor Wisconsin Resident Permits.

Oregon is tough as the May-Issue to Non-Residents, but only to bordiering states. But I believe I could jsut Open Carry there, as well as Califoarnia(unloaded).

Hopefully I will never have to go into New York, New Jersey or beyond. Beyond is not too bad. All those states don't honor out of states permits, but shall/may issue non-residents permits so if I had to, I could, but I would rather not have to have 4 more permits to carry in 4 more states if I don't need to.

Last edited:
M

McX

well, anyway, we'll all be buying something here in the near future. $$$$$$$$

IA_farmboy

I was I was looking at states that do not honor a Non-Resident Florida Permit, and I see that states like Michigan, Colorado and South Carolina only honor Resident Permits.

South Carolina is a Shall Issue Resident/Non-Resident Permit state, so if they did not honor Wisconsin Resident Permit, I could just get a South Carolina Non-Resident Permit. The same with Nevada.

I thought the same thing but I found out that South Carolina has restrictions on the issuance of non-resident permits. IIRC, South Carolina will only issue non-resident permits to people that own land in the state, have military orders to be there, and perhaps a few other conditions. Since my broadband went down a couple days ago I'm living on dial-up for the moment. When I get my bandwidth back I'll double check what the conditions are.

Also, IIRC, South Carolina only recognizes resident permits from a handful of states. Unless you live in one of those states there is no option to get another permit.

I believe Nevada is truly a shall issue state as most would recognize it. I believe the process to get their permit is quite lengthy and every step must be done in the state. Again, I'll verify this later.

jpm84092

Florida - Only recognizes states with which it has a written reciprocity agreement. I do not see anything in AB 35 that is a deal killer for FL because the WI Law is patterned after FL and AZ. However, we must wait and see what WI DOJ does. (Folks should keep in mind that reciprocity agreements take time and while DOJ has a clock for saying which states WI will honor, no similar clock exists for WI DOJ forming reciprocity agreements with other states.)

South Carolina - You must own property in SC to apply for a non-resident permit. Proof of "residency" consists of sending a document signed and notarized by the taxing authority where your SC property is located. (I wonder if somebody in SC is willing to sell me 1 square foot of land.)

Nevada - Nevada permits are easy to get, but you must take the training and qualification shoot in Nevada. You must also apply in-person and be photographed and fingerprinted by a Nevada Sheriff (or in Las Vegas by the Las Vegas Metro Police Department) The Nevada permit is hard to get if you are not a good marksman because the qualification shoot is the same as for a new FBI Agent. (B-127 law enforcement target and 70% minimum score. 6 shots @ 3 yards - 12 shots @ 5 yards - 12 shots @ 7 yards, but not timed) ) Up until July 2011, you had to qualify on every make and model semi-automatic pistol you wanted to carry. Now, qualification on any one semiautomatic pistol allows you to carry any semi-automatic pistol. Same for revolvers, but you must qualify separately on revolvers. Derringers are a "revolver" under NV law. For those wishing a NV permit (and a trip to Vegas), I recommend www.acalculatedresponse.com for the training. A husband-wife team will meet you at your motel, conduct the NV training, supervise the range shoot, and all for $150 per person (discounts for more persons). You will need to have a cashier's check for about $101 as Nevada does not take cash or plastic.

Maine - New Hampshire - South Carolina - Colorado - Florida - Michigan - ONLY honor resident permits. Of these, only Michigan honors all states resident permits. MI & CO, will not issue to non-residents. NH issues permits to residents for $10 and non-residents for $100. ME will issue to non-residents, but ME has very limited reciprocity and the permit process is not user friendly.

Hope this was useful.

hermannr

Remember, reciprocity is not the whole thing. There are several states that will honor "any state permit" (example, ID,TN), some that will recognize "any state resident permit" (MI). The way I read your new state law, WI will be one of the states that will honor "any state permit"..am I correct?

Just because WI will recognize, nor not recognize, a particular state's permit, does not mean the other state, will, or will not recognize WI's

example: TN has recognized WA (and all other states) since they passed their latest CC law. WA has not recognized TN until just this year...Now that WA and TN have a formal agreement to recognize each other's permits, they have reciprocity, not just recognition as TN did before, but WA did not.

jpm84092

Remember, reciprocity is not the whole thing. There are several states that will honor "any state permit" (example, ID,TN), some that will recognize "any state resident permit" (MI). The way I read your new state law, WI will be one of the states that will honor "any state permit"..am I correct? Just because WI will recognize, nor not recognize, a particular state's permit, does not mean the other state, will, or will not recognize WI's example: TN has recognized WA (and all other states) since they passed their latest CC law. WA has not recognized TN until just this year...Now that WA and TN have a formal agreement to recognize each other's permits, they have reciprocity, not just recognition as TN did before, but WA did not.

Your point is well taken Sir.

Reciprocity = a formal written agreement between competent Officials (usually the Attorney General or the Governor of a State) that typically says that a permit from State A is as good as the home state permit. This is what FL does, while MI will recognize any permit issued to a RESIDENT of the State that issued the permit. The examples of ID and TN are also on point. They, like Utah, recognize any permit; whether it was issued to a resident or a non-resident of UT.

Recognition = a State either by legislation or "rule making" recognizes another state's permit. (The examples you gave were quite on point.)

Wisconsin residents should keep in mind that while there is a clock running on the WI DOJ determining which State's permits WI will recognize (must be published online by 01 NOV 2011), there is no similar clock running on which States will honor a WI permit; except for States that recognize any permit from any State. Those who want instant reciprocity / recognition in the most States must consider a non-resident FL Permit ($117) or a UT permit ($65). Both permits allow for carry in 3/5 of the USA, but where you can carry varies. For WI residents who want to carry in MN (to see the Green Bay Packers defeat the MN Vikings) , the UT permit is the answer.

I would love to see a Federal Law requiring all States to honor all other State's permits, but given the political reality of the makeup of Congress, I am not holding my breath. Until such a law is passed and signed by a pro-2A President, having multiple permits is the best way to go.

apjonas

No You Wouldn't

I would love to see a Federal Law requiring all States to honor all other State's permits, but given the political reality of the makeup of Congress, I am not holding my breath. Until such a law is passed and signed by a pro-2A President, having multiple permits is the best way to go.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will sell for this "mess of pottage." Quite apart from being unconstitutional, allowing the central government such power would quickly be turned in the other direction. If the Feds can say "thou shalt honor all permits," they can also say "thou shall NOT honor ANY permit" or "NOT issue ANY permit."

Be careful what you wish for.....

jpm84092

It never ceases to amaze me what people will sell for this "mess of pottage." Quite apart from being unconstitutional, allowing the central government such power would quickly be turned in the other direction. If the Feds can say "thou shalt honor all permits," they can also say "thou shall NOT honor ANY permit" or "NOT issue ANY permit."

Be careful what you wish for.....

I yield to your "States Rights" argument.

MKEgal

jpm84092 said:
I would love to see a Federal Law requiring all States to honor all other State's permits
I'd love to see all rights recognized in all states, no permits needed.
Failing that, what's so wrong about recognizing a carry permit just like recognizing a driving permit?
(Or a worship permit, or a permit to have a jury trial, or a permit to avoid the police searching your home without a warrant, or... oh, yeah, we don't need permits for any other right, because they're rights.)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I think WI's reciprocity could resemble Florida's over time. But we have to remember Florida's been in the CC business considerably longer. Plus it will depend upon how aggressively the state, i.e., DOJ, pursues reciprocity agreements with other states. Hopefully they will be very active in doing so, as a service to WI residents.