• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Twin Falls McDonald's - UNFRIENDLY

ManInBlack

My friend and I were driving from Albuquerque to Boise yesterday and decided to stop at the McDonald's in Twin Falls to get a bite to eat before the final push. We walked in and my friend ordered. I began to place my order with one of the red-shirted teenage employees, when a blackshirt (apropos, eh?) came out from the back, started tapping his right hip like an idiot, and said, "You're not supposed to have a gun in here." I replied, "I'm sorry?" He reiterated that I was not "supposed" to have my gun in the store. I asked if that was McDonald's corporate policy, and he answered in the affirmative. I replied, "Well, if you're asking me to leave, I'd be happy to," turned around, and walked out the door. I would have preferred to leave but my friend had already placed his order and paid, we were tired and hungry, and it was almost 10 PM, so I reluctantly unholstered, locked my weapon in the truck, and returned to the store. The blackshirt said, "Thanks, man." I ignored him and went to place my order. He hovered over the redshirt who was entering it into the computer, so I asked him, "Are you the manager?" He said yes (his nametag said "Nick"), so I asked the store number. He told me. I tried to call McDonald's corporate from the store, but they were already closed. I'm going to send an email today. This is the first time I have ever been asked to leave a private business due to OC.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ugh...you unarmed and gave them money! Did you put on a shirt with a giant "You Win!" on the front too....lol. Alright, I'm done giving you a hard time. Man, that manager has a lot of work to do in order to tell all of the other McDonald's about how they're wrong about the "corporate" policy. I have carried in at least 20 different McDonald's, never had a problem with any of them. Let us know how it goes when you contact corporate.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Ugh...you unarmed and gave them money! Did you put on a shirt with a giant "You Win!" on the front too....lol. Alright, I'm done giving you a hard time. Man, that manager has a lot of work to do in order to tell all of the other McDonald's about how they're wrong about the "corporate" policy. I have carried in at least 20 different McDonald's, never had a problem with any of them. Let us know how it goes when you contact corporate.

I know, I know...if it had been just me, I would have left and then sent the franchise owner and McD's corporate a nice letter explaining how their employee ran off my business, but my friend had been doing the driving, I could tell he was starving, and we had already come aways off the interstate to get to the restaurant.

I, too, have carried in many McDonald's restaurants without incident. I will also say that there was absolutely no signage indicating that weapons were not allowed (I double-checked every door), but there was signage listing other, specified, prohibited behaviors, like not wearing shoes, bringing in a dog, etc.

ManInBlack

Just sent the following to McDonald's corporate:

Last night while driving back to Boise from Albuquerque, my friend and I stopped at store #13496, located at 869 Pole Line Road, Twin Falls, ID. Upon entering the store, my friend placed his order, but I was accosted by the manager ("Nick"), who began tapping his side excitedly and said, "You're not supposed to have a gun in here." I was surprised because I have lawfully openly-carried a firearm into many McDonald's restaurants without incident. I asked Nick if that was McDonald's corporate policy, and he responded in the affirmative. I told him that if he was asking me to leave, I would, and went back out of the door. There was no signage on any door of the restaurant indicating that the lawful carrying of firearms is prohibited, and my understanding was that McDonald's corporate policy was to follow state law.

I frequently travel for both business and pleasure, and when I am on the road, I enjoy eating at McDonald's restaurants. I find them to be both convenient and a good, dependable value. However, if I am not allowed to protect myself in a manner permitted by state law, then I will be forced to discontinue patronizing your establishments, and give my business to a company that does not forbid the lawful carrying of firearms. I will also make your decision known to my family, friends, and on internet forums I frequent, and will encourage all to likewise discontinue patronizing your restaurants. Please let me know your policy.

Sincerely,
<my name>

ecocks

I have heard here on OCDO, that the McDonald's in Idaho are a single franchise-owner and that THEIR policy is anti-gun. However, I have worn my OC'd firearm in all of the McD's on Cherry/Fairview, Nampa at 84/Garrity, Meridian/84 and Eagle with only one problem.

I will guess that McD will respond that this is the franchise owner's policy, not their overall corporate policy. They also may well raise [legitimately] the property rights point and mention safety of customers and staff.

That problem was not from store personnel but a customer who challenged that the gun was not "real" in a loud conversation while I was waiting in line to order. Upon leaving (I was sitting at a table eating by then) the customer announced loudly that he still didn't believe it was real and left. Management had to be aware of it but nothing was said [by them].

You did what you did. I can't say as I blame you too much either. While I am about as Pro-2A as anyone here, I CC'd to a Hawks game last week and admit that it was because I was a guest of one of my reps and didn't want to even risk the hassle which might spread and involve him and his employer.

Next time maybe go through the drive-through for food and eat out by your car? It would seem that would still be a trespass since they probably owned the lot though.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

I have heard here on OCDO, that the McDonald's in Idaho are a single franchise-owner and that THEIR policy is anti-gun. However, I have worn my OC'd firearm in all of the McD's on Cherry/Fairview, Nampa at 84/Garrity, Meridian/84 and Eagle with only one problem.

I will guess that McD will respond that this is the franchise owner's policy, not their overall corporate policy. They also may well raise [legitimately] the property rights point and mention safety of customers and staff.

I actually suspected that the McDonald's are not company-owned, but I think my email will get kicked down the food chain, and I would like to get a native Idaho company on the record as saying they are anti-gun so they can be legitimately punished by the customers.

Next time maybe go through the drive-through for food and eat out by your car? It would seem that would still be a trespass since they probably owned the lot though.

Not to mention that for all they knew, I could have just unholstered, stuck the gun down my pants, and pulled my shirt over it. But hey, it's like the ostrich: if we can't see it, it must not be a threat... :rolleyes:

In a state with as many concealed carriers as Idaho has, if they don't post their restaurant, the guy who open carries should really be the last of their worries, but you know how that goes.

DCR

Thanks for the heads up -

I've stopped there many a time in the past and won't do so anymore. I'm with you, MIB - McDonalds is an easy and inexpensive way to quiet the gut and guarantee a t*rd at the end of the road. If you'll share the contact info, I'll send a message to corporate and/or the TF McDonalds and let them know I'm a reader who heard about the local franchise owner's "policy," won't patronize them any more, and will pass the word.

Could get interesting, as most franchise agreements require adherence to corporate policy, even though the franchisee is frequently allowed to make its own rules, albeit within the limits of the franchise agreement. Having never seen a McDonalds franchise agreement, I couldn't tell you what corporate policy is or how much freedom the local one has, but I suspect your instincts are right about there being nothing at the corporate level or in the franchise agreement. If not, I hope a rancid stink ensues and enough folks get the word about their local Mickey D's that they take their kiddos to local mom-n-pop burger joints and strike many small blows to the corporate machine.

ecocks

I'm also willing to send a similar letter indicating I read about the policy of the TF McD's and ill not be patronizing their facility anymore when traveling through.

Good idea.

ManInBlack

Just to let everyone know, to date, I have not received a response from McDonald's corporate or the franchise owner.

I guess they feel like they're better off without gun-owner business in a state like Idaho. I say we give them their wish.

SilveradoSam

Sounds like you need to call the owner of the store and share what happened. I know the guy who owns the McDonalds in my area is pro gun and would have a fit if one of his employees turned someone away for OC'ing.

NVCowboy

My friend and I were driving from Albuquerque to Boise yesterday and decided to stop at the McDonald's in Twin Falls to get a bite to eat before the final push. We walked in and my friend ordered. I began to place my order with one of the red-shirted teenage employees, when a blackshirt (apropos, eh?) came out from the back, started tapping his right hip like an idiot, and said, "You're not supposed to have a gun in here." I replied, "I'm sorry?" He reiterated that I was not "supposed" to have my gun in the store. I asked if that was McDonald's corporate policy, and he answered in the affirmative. I replied, "Well, if you're asking me to leave, I'd be happy to," turned around, and walked out the door. I would have preferred to leave but my friend had already placed his order and paid, we were tired and hungry, and it was almost 10 PM, so I reluctantly unholstered, locked my weapon in the truck, and returned to the store. The blackshirt said, "Thanks, man." I ignored him and went to place my order. He hovered over the redshirt who was entering it into the computer, so I asked him, "Are you the manager?" He said yes (his nametag said "Nick"), so I asked the store number. He told me. I tried to call McDonald's corporate from the store, but they were already closed. I'm going to send an email today. This is the first time I have ever been asked to leave a private business due to OC.

The owners of the Twin Falls McDonald's franchise are Bill and Donna Kyle, business phone number is (208) 735-8051. I grew up in that area and never was real impressed with that bunch so give 'em hell!! The Kyle bunch only owns the McDonald's franchise for the Magic Valley, which really isn't all that many stores. Last I heard it was roughly 10, but he's been in that business for over 30 years now. I would think with him being from the area and knowing how things are/were done he wouldn't give two craps about someone packing a pistol inside the store, but we have been invaded by locusts from the PRK and their nanny state mentality so Lord only knows what his view is nowadays. The "pillars of the community" around there like that green so they will do whatever the locusts tell them to.

Last edited: