Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Time for a "Top Activist" list

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Time for a "Top Activist" list

    A year or so ago, I was telling several people that I really needed to get a bigger book to keep my list of people I really hated in. Skidmark remarked that I could save a forest by keeping only the ones I deemed acceptable.

    Since that time I've realized that with all the list making, a number of people continue to go about their business and not get the public recognition they deserve.

    I thought it was time to start a TOP OC Activist thread and people can be added as it goes... a lot like the OC in * threads.

    I'm going to start but I am not going to include some of the old hands. Grapeshot is unquestionably the top activist in the state but I'm not listing him because everyone knows it. Same with Skidmark and a few others. This is for the people that do a ton of work and are not board members or otherwise celebrities.


    I have three that I'd like to start with and they are in no particular order.

    Tfred
    JMelvin
    T33J

    All three do lots of 2A work, quietly and efficiently, and without stirring up a lot of hard feelings.

    There are others but I don't want to have to list everyone like Citizen (Hint for the next poster)
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-19-2011 at 01:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Hmmm.....Citizen. And Ed, gotta appreciate his work with providing carry cards at no cost. In addition, all the postcards he has sent for various people. Tess, she is at every VCDL event I have been too. Great source of information. And since Peter Nap won't nominate himself, I nominate him as well for his video work.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Have you considered trying to FOIA the Homeland Secirity list(s) and just pasting names in here from there?

    I mean, if someone's name is not on their list they certainly don't make the cut for your list, right?

    In the meantime, I'd like to nominate Billy Goat Gruff and the County Squire. Those two have done perhaps more in the last year to make Virginians aware of their rights than almost anybody else. Sort of like how Dear Leader has made Gun Salesman of the Month for almost two years running.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Is this just a Virginia list only?

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Is this just a Virginia list only?
    Yep!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    There's so many I could list:


    Skidmark
    Grapeshot
    user-even thought he usually CC's
    VCDL pres.
    IanB
    Bulldog????-Matt
    Pourshot


    No order just as they came to me, there are more but I'll leave that for others.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    There's so many I could list:


    Skidmark
    Grapeshot
    user-even thought he usually CC's
    VCDL pres.
    IanB
    Bulldog????-Matt
    Pourshot


    No order just as they came to me, there are more but I'll leave that for others.
    We were discussing this at breakfast this morning and not so amazingly, your name came up.

    So, I'll make it formal. I nominate Agent19 for the list.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    We were discussing this at breakfast this morning and not so amazingly, your name came up.

    So, I'll make it formal. I nominate Agent19 for the list.

    stay safe.
    Sorry...been tied up all day.

    Thanks for the vote but I'm not in the running.
    I'm more of a loose cannon,
    Scratch that......sugar was tanking bad when I read it. I missed Agent's name in there,,,,soooooo

    +1 for AGENT19
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715
    I want to nominate my good friend, Danladi Moore, aka Danbus. Though he rearely posts anymore, he is still an active OC'er, and more to the point, was one of THE MOST effective activists for this cause in the earlier years (2008-2009) when things were quite a bit rougher than they are now. As a "young black male" he knew very well that he would come up against those for whom OC was bad enough, but being a black man with a gun (BMWAG) was an even greater offense. He went through some very harrowing experiences for our movement, including being held at gunpoint by two very angry and threatening Norfolk cops, who ultimately had to let him go since there was nothing they could charge him with, but told him if he continued, they would harrass and intimidate him again. He went through some other frightening events with his usual aplomb, polite and civil behavior, and good cheer. He saw OC as a true civil rights movement and treated it as such, so he was always out there doing, actually putting himself in harms way and making himself the object of anger and intimidation. He didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he just went about OCing the way many of you do now routinely every day. There were people from all over the country who were following some of his sagas here, rooting for him, and collectively yelling "Yessss!" when he won his famous $15,000 settlement with Norfolk for the above incident. Those of us who have met him personally know him as an intelligent, well-spoken yourng man who, despite his pleasant, happy-go-lucky demeanor, had real fire in his belly for our cause. Although he is no longer active with us, he was a true trail blazer and an example to us all, a man who emboldened us to to keep on pushing, even against difficult odds. Much of what we now take for granted was not so until after Danbus made his mark on our community.

    After this brief hagiography, I hope some of you newer people will be encouraged to read some of his exploits and get a sense of some of the edge-of-the-chair threads typical of the "early days" of OC in Tidewater. I'm sure Grapeshot, Skidmark, Phil Van Cleave and others who have been here a while and have met Danbus will agree with my comments and second my motion. He is truly a "Top Activist"!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    There's so many I could list:


    Skidmark
    Grapeshot
    user-even thought he usually CC's
    VCDL pres.
    IanB
    Bulldog????-Matt
    Pourshot


    No order just as they came to me, there are more but I'll leave that for others.
    Bulldog1967
    Last edited by nova; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 AM.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    sorry...been tied up all day.



    Scratch that......sugar was tanking bad when i read it. I missed agent's name in there,,,,soooooo

    +1 for agent19
    corrected

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    corrected
    Peter nap,

    You're still in the running, like it or not. I nominated you in the first response to this thread
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Peter nap,

    You're still in the running, like it or not. I nominated you in the first response to this thread
    Thanks anyway SD, but really, leave me out. This is for the non showboaters. They are who will keep our state worth living in because they, (you) are the mass voting population. One person alone can't carry all the weight.

    I thought long and hard about not including the BIG guns like Grapeshot in this, but the simple truth is he and his peers are recognized everyday.

    I figured it was time to give a little fame to the members that work hard on righting wrongs, but don't get a lot of recognition. (Look at the information and advice people like Tfred and Jmelvin and Citizen give or the databases that are put together, pictures of signs, etc).

    Everyone knows Ed sends postcards, but do they know who made a database of national parks, forests and cemeteries or more recently, local laws?

    Hopefully, this thread will help newcomers see some of the work being done and by who.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I want to nominate my good friend, Danladi Moore, aka Danbus. Though he rearely posts anymore, he is still an active OC'er, and more to the point, was one of THE MOST effective activists for this cause in the earlier years (2008-2009) when things were quite a bit rougher than they are now. As a "young black male" he knew very well that he would come up against those for whom OC was bad enough, but being a black man with a gun (BMWAG) was an even greater offense. He went through some very harrowing experiences for our movement, including being held at gunpoint by two very angry and threatening Norfolk cops, who ultimately had to let him go since there was nothing they could charge him with, but told him if he continued, they would harrass and intimidate him again. He went through some other frightening events with his usual aplomb, polite and civil behavior, and good cheer. He saw OC as a true civil rights movement and treated it as such, so he was always out there doing, actually putting himself in harms way and making himself the object of anger and intimidation. He didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he just went about OCing the way many of you do now routinely every day. There were people from all over the country who were following some of his sagas here, rooting for him, and collectively yelling "Yessss!" when he won his famous $15,000 settlement with Norfolk for the above incident. Those of us who have met him personally know him as an intelligent, well-spoken yourng man who, despite his pleasant, happy-go-lucky demeanor, had real fire in his belly for our cause. Although he is no longer active with us, he was a true trail blazer and an example to us all, a man who emboldened us to to keep on pushing, even against difficult odds. Much of what we now take for granted was not so until after Danbus made his mark on our community.

    After this brief hagiography, I hope some of you newer people will be encouraged to read some of his exploits and get a sense of some of the edge-of-the-chair threads typical of the "early days" of OC in Tidewater. I'm sure Grapeshot, Skidmark, Phil Van Cleave and others who have been here a while and have met Danbus will agree with my comments and second my motion. He is truly a "Top Activist"!
    Danbus was a fantastic activist from a different era.

    Back then, the PO-lice in Norfolk were not our friends and we all had great thrills goint to Norfolk City Council meetings open carrying. LEO 229 would egg us all on and these boards were alive with debate and passion. (I thought some were going to have a stroke when LEO 229 was made a moderator.) Heller was powerful medicine for all of us.

    Those were the good old days Dutch. Wish we could stir up half that passion for finishing the job, but I think that those days were our high water mark.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    ---snip---

    Those were the good old days Dutch. Wish we could stir up half that passion for finishing the job, but I think that those days were our high water mark.
    I think the best is yet to come - carrying in college buildings, clarifying the "courthouse" issue, and putting teeth/penalties in our preemption law amongst the first that come to mind.

    Perhaps these heretofore behind the scenes activists might be referred to as Virginia's Unsung OC Heroes - they serve our community well and provide models of activism for both newbies and old hands alike. Indeed, they should be recognized and our thanks given for their efforts.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Following Peter's advice I will nominate Sesrun for his recent hard work creating a statewide spreadsheet of laws and regulations. I appreciate him taking the time and his willingness to share it with the rest of us.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  17. #17
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598
    There are hundreds of us here that "talk the talk and walk the walk" for 2A and OC rights...is this really necessary? Most of us here know who the hard-core activists are.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    There are hundreds of us here that "talk the talk and walk the walk" for 2A and OC rights...is this really necessary? Most of us here know who the hard-core activists are.
    No. it isn't necessary ODA. Neither is much of what is put up here including the trash pick up across from your new house. Is there there a reason it bothers you?

  19. #19
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598
    I'm not saying it bothers me. I just questioned the necessity of it, that's all.
    Last edited by ODA 226; 08-22-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Being one of those barred from being nominated I think I can speak freely about the necessity of the list.

    Yes, it is necessary.

    I do not think that we are in this for the recognition (well, except for one or two people, and if they get nominated it will probably be for something besides what they do in order to generate recognition). As a matter of fact I'd be willing to wager that most of us would prefer to not be nominated for the list - probably because we feel we are not all that "special" and "outstanding" and "important". We go about our lives and OC just happens to be one part of that.

    If I am guessing correctly the reason for the list is that there are some folks who have been quietly doing some things to move the OC "movement" along and it's about time someone said something about it.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    In keeping with my post above, I'm going to throw another name in the ring. Someone who has been quietly plugging away to make Open Carry the norm as opposed to the unusual, and who may be responsible for more people accepting OC without panicing and making MWAG calls than anybody else.

    Our own hlh.

    Lee started the OC dinners years ago with, if I recall the story properly, just one other person. It started off slowly and then suddenly bloomed and blossomed, as well as throwing off runners and shoots across the Commonwealth to the point that it's pretty hard not to find a regularly scheduled OC dinner somewhere east of the mountains. In all that time the only thing I've ever heard him ask for was that wherever the dinners be held, they not serve okra.

    At times he's been teased mightily about that, and maybe twice someine has tried to slip a can of okra onto his place at the table. But month after month he rounds us up and brings us together for fellowship and food. And others, having seen what he was doing, gladly copied his plan (except most of them do not outright ban okra).

    Sorry I almost forgot you, buddy.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Recognition and thank you's are too far between in both our society and within our group. It is good to point out these "quiet activists" and to show them that their efforts are appreciated.

    The fact that there are so many deserving of such recognition should not deter us from adding them to the list - it is a testiment to the many fine people within our group and the state. They serve as shining examples of how and what good stewards of OC and RKBA are - hopefully others will emulate them.

    Let the list grow!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member CHILINVLN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    I'm not saying it bothers me. I just questioned the necessity of it, that's all.
    This thread serves about as much purpose as when someone says "thank you" to someone else in passing or after having an interaction. Is it REALLY necessary? No. Does it serve a purpose? Absolutely.

    With that said, I think Ed should be on the list given his exposure in the public light and involvement in the community.

  24. #24
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    This thread serves about as much purpose as when someone says "thank you" to someone else in passing or after having an interaction. Is it REALLY necessary? No. Does it serve a purpose? Absolutely.

    With that said, I think Ed should be on the list given his exposure in the public light and involvement in the community.
    If it serves no purpose, why are you wasting bandwidth.

    No, ED fits in the same category as Grapeshot and Skidmark!

    No...on second thought, I didn't put it up to start another ******* match. Mods, delete the ******* thing please!

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If it serves no purpose, why are you wasting bandwidth.

    No, ED fits in the same category as Grapeshot and Skidmark!

    No...on second thought, I didn't put it up to start another ******* match. Mods, delete the ******* thing please!
    Peter Nap,

    You had a great idea and started a great thread. Don't let a couple people bother you.

    To those who don't like the thread or don't see it's purpose: Simple solution, stop reading and don't post! Let the thread be used by those who might appreciate it.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •